Does it get harder to control BG levels as time goes on?

Sammy2011

Diagnosed in April with A1C of 108, latest results 32! Nurse believes they aren’t right as she said A1C can’t come down so much, so fast? I’ve been really strict with my diet so I contribute it to that. I’m curious if anyone had a similar reduction in A1C and does it typically get harder to control bg levels as time goes on? Thanks

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not quite as dramatic as your excellent results, but in four months I dropped my HbA1c from 70 down to 36. I’m guessing your nurse isn’t used to seeing such a huge improvement. She should be congratulating you not doubting you. Keep up the good work and when you get your next result she’ll see that your recent result is not a fluke!
I for one congratulate you on your fantastic achievement!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh and to answer your question, so far I haven’t found blood sugars difficult to control as time goes by.

Sammy2011

Not quite as dramatic as your excellent results, but in four months I dropped my HbA1c from 70 down to 36. I’m guessing your nurse isn’t used to seeing such a huge improvement. She should be congratulating you not doubting you. Keep up the good work and when you get your next result she’ll see that your recent result is not a fluke!
I for one congratulate you on your fantastic achievement!

Thank you!! it’s such a relief feeling like I have control but I’m just trying to manage my expectations for the future, I’m 31 so in this for the long haul as DN likes to remind me. hopefully next they will get me off meds

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you!! it’s such a relief feeling like I have control but I’m just trying to manage my expectations for the future, I’m 31 so in this for the long haul as DN likes to remind me. hopefully next they will get me off meds
Fingers crossed for your next test!
I’m sure you’ll do fine.

Trevor vP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed in April with A1C of 108, latest results 32! Nurse believes they aren’t right as she said A1C can’t come down so much, so fast? I’ve been really strict with my diet so I contribute it to that. I’m curious if anyone had a similar reduction in A1C and does it typically get harder to control bg levels as time goes on? Thanks

I went from 110 to 37 over a 4 month period, however slowly started to creep back up over the years. I keep a low carb lifestyle and I am very fit and in weight range. I had to increase my medicine as A1C increased and now on Insulin and stable as type 1.5 with other immune conditions.

My brother had similar A1C levels to mine, started on a low dosage of Metformin and went on a "lowish" carb diet and he is not fit and overweight but keeps his A1C under control.

So really different people's body all behave differently, the more we all learn about diabetes, the more I think a lot of us learn we will never understand it all.

Reactions: Sammy2011

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I reduced my HbA1c from 108 to 36 in six months on the maximum dose of Metformin. 7 years on I am still in the non-diabetic range and am now diet and exercise controlled only. I have maintained a low carbohydrate diet (not perfectly by any means!) and my only real exercise is walking.
So, yes, it is possible and all your hard work has and will be worth it!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did 91 to 41 in 6 months and apart for one blip which might have been due to Covid, all seems stable.
I could eat more carbs now but not and maintain my weight, so I don't.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My experience is that it does get harder as time goes on. 10 years on and I am finding it harder to control my bgs.

Sammy2011

I went from 110 to 37 over a 4 month period, however slowly started to creep back up over the years. I keep a low carb lifestyle and I am very fit and in weight range. I had to increase my medicine as A1C increased and now on Insulin and stable as type 1.5 with other immune conditions.

My brother had similar A1C levels to mine, started on a low dosage of Metformin and went on a "lowish" carb diet and he is not fit and overweight but keeps his A1C under control.

So really different people's body all behave differently, the more we all learn about diabetes, the more I think a lot of us learn we will never understand it all.

Thank you for sharing, everyones results are telling me mine might not be a mistake, it’s possible! My weight is my next thing to tackle, my bmi is currently 25 so right at the top end of normal, thinking it might be beneficial to lose a stone to give myself some wiggle room.

Definitely realising there is way more to it, after my mum being diabetic my whole life, I pretty much just thought she couldn’t have chocolate and that was about it! Kind of feel bad now for not taking the time to understand diabetes better for her.

Sammy2011

My experience is that it does get harder as time goes on. 10 years on and I am finding it harder to control my bgs.

I assumed it might, I keep being warned it progressive and right now basically everything is a shock to the system, that’s part of the reason I would like to cut a least one of my meds so I have options to fall back on

Sammy2011

I did 91 to 41 in 6 months and apart for one blip which might have been due to Covid, all seems stable.
I could eat more carbs now but not and maintain my weight, so I don't.

Well done! Wish i could show all these responses to my DN and be like see it’s possible!

Sammy2011

I reduced my HbA1c from 108 to 36 in six months on the maximum dose of Metformin. 7 years on I am still in the non-diabetic range and am now diet and exercise controlled only. I have maintained a low carbohydrate diet (not perfectly by any means!) and my only real exercise is walking.
So, yes, it is possible and all your hard work has and will be worth it!

Well done keeping everything in check for 7 years! Its really cheering me up seeing it’s defiantly possible! She kinda pee’d on my parade earlier

Paul1882

mine went from 122 to 43 in 3 months. My next test is tomorrow , hopefully the reduction is sustained

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, for me I found a food diary really helpful recording what you eat and the results from a glucometer before and two hours after.

My first couple of months was testing all my favourite foods, finding which ones I couldn't tolerate and those I could. Because I use intermittent fasting I only test a couple of times a day now, mainly if I'm having some food out and about or know that I have never had before.
Once you get used to testing, I have found it becomes less of a chore and is a completely normal thing for me to do.
I don't have the luxury of having treats, and I have been in Keto for around eight years now, except for a couple of blips!!
I know what I need to do to be healthy.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
mine went from 122 to 43 in 3 months.

Wow . . . standing ovation right there.
Your body must have thought you were trying to reject it.
Winner badge deserved.

I went from 52 to 34 in 3 months so low starting level helped.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sammy2011

Why don’t you? You don’t have to be signed in to view the forum!

I might just do that if she calls me in to redo bloods, right now she’s leaving me in the hands of my endocrinologist to make the call whether they need retesting, which I don’t really see the point in they will be due again in a little over 2 months anyway!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
All beings decline over time, human and animal. As you have had such a high A1c, there will be a "memory" of diabetes that could be returned to if you are not vigilant.

BMI is a population metric that does not tell the full story, waist to height ratio is better. Type 2's should be concerned with visceral fat especially around the pancreas and liver. In your shoes I would continue to eat well, walk after meals and resistance train, sleep well and be happy.

Sammy2011

Hi, for me I found a food diary really helpful recording what you eat and the results from a glucometer before and two hours after.

My first couple of months was testing all my favourite foods, finding which ones I couldn't tolerate and those I could. Because I use intermittent fasting I only test a couple of times a day now, mainly if I'm having some food out and about or know that I have never had before.
Once you get used to testing, I have found it becomes less of a chore and is a completely normal thing for me to do.
I don't have the luxury of having treats, and I have been in Keto for around eight years now, except for a couple of blips!!
I know what I need to do to be healthy.

Yeah, I’m currently doing a similar approach with intermittent OMAD fasting and dropped carbs keto levels a little while back (but not eating very high fat, can’t tolerate it) I’m quite content to stick with this way of eating, i just wonder if diabetes is progressive like I’ve been told, maybe one day it won’t be enough, only time will tell I suppose.