Crisps????

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi. I’m day 5 I think on metformin. Made me very sick this morning. My numbers were better yesterday but not good today. Mayb because I ate a bag of hoola hoops. Can I not eat crisps ever again. Thanks to you all. X.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is an extra 21gm of carbs added to your total intake - for me that is about one dinners worth.
I have been doing well for some years now, and I can't see the attraction of a high carb snack - but I could eat an extra 20 odd grams of carb and not see high blood glucose, however I would see it on the scales next day. Low carb means my weight keeps inching down and my waist too.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Home made cheese crisps or a few pork scratchings satisfy my cravings for salty crispy things.
Trouble with ordinary crisps is they are cooked in sunflower or other nasty oils so even if not too bad carb wise they aren't very healthy

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I’m day 5 I think on metformin. Made me very sick this morning. My numbers were better yesterday but not good today. Mayb because I ate a bag of hoola hoops. Can I not eat crisps ever again. Thanks to you all. X.

Hi,

When you mention "sick." Did you mean upset tummy?
Could there have been anything else eaten that may have caused a "bug" upset?
"Food poisoning" could elivate BGs..

KidDougi

First few days everything is a bit up and down. Make sure you are taking the Metformin during or straight after your food.
Start by watching your carbs. Once under control you can have the odd bag of crisp.
Personally I only watch the fats from a calorie prospective, but I do try to keep to them healthy ones were possible.
I have also taken to exercising on an empty stomach. Generally first thing in the morning. The idea is that I use up as much liver reserves as possible before I start adding more glucose during the day. The exercise does show up as a blood glucose increase but my daily average is lower because of it. This has made the biggest difference for me.

Reactions: SuNuman
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't call crisps healthy in general but their glycaemic index is lower then the one of boiled potatoes, so generally crisps wouldn't be bad to include in your diet. Just don't eat it too often.

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do have crisps every now and again (prob once a week) and I haven't noticed that they affect my blood sugars. I try not to eat them as regularly as I dont want to get into the habit of snacking on unhealthy food again. Also they aren't very filling so do seem a waste of carbs. But I think it's important to be realistic and having the odd snack like this keeps me on track. You can buy cheesies off amazon which are cheese crisps or nuts, these hit the spot when I'm craving crisps and also more filling.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you taking the slow release version of Metformin because they are easier on the stomach than the normal metformin ? You can.as I your GP to change if you are having sickness or other stomach problems (That I can't spdll!!). I daren't go need crisps of any sort because I have no self control !!!
Carol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I occasionally have a bag of crisps as part of a cold salad meal, but I stick to a packet from a multi-pack. (Walkers). The packets are smaller and have a lot less carbs than the single packets. I never have them as a snack. They don't raise my BS levels by much at all.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I avoided crisps as I wanted to control my blood sugar by going low carb instead of taking metformin.

However, I occasionally have pork scratching or Cheesies - as neither will affect my blood sugar.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
That is an extra 21gm of carbs added to your total intake - for me that is about one dinners worth.
I have been doing well for some years now, and I can't see the attraction of a high carb snack - but I could eat an extra 20 odd grams of carb and not see high blood glucose, however I would see it on the scales next day. Low carb means my weight keeps inching down and my waist too.
Thank you that makes sense. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Thank you. X
First few days everything is a bit up and down. Make sure you are taking the Metformin during or straight after your food.
Start by watching your carbs. Once under control you can have the odd bag of crisp.
Personally I only watch the fats from a calorie prospective, but I do try to keep to them healthy ones were possible.
I have also taken to exercising on an empty stomach. Generally first thing in the morning. The idea is that I use up as much liver reserves as possible before I start adding more glucose during the day. The exercise does show up as a blood glucose increase but my daily average is lower because of it. This has made the biggest difference for me.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Are you taking the slow release version of Metformin because they are easier on the stomach than the normal metformin ? You can.as I your GP to change if you are having sickness or other stomach problems (That I can't spdll!!). I daren't go need crisps of any sort because I have no self control !!!
Carol
Hi. Yes I too have no self control so best to avoid them I think. The metformin is slow release. This morning I took it half way throu breakfast and I was ok. Thank you for your reply. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I avoided crisps as I wanted to control my blood sugar by going low carb instead of taking metformin.

However, I occasionally have pork scratching or Cheesies - as neither will affect my blood sugar.
Thank you. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Yes that makes total sense. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I occasionally have a bag of crisps as part of a cold salad meal, but I stick to a packet from a multi-pack. (Walkers). The packets are smaller and have a lot less carbs than the single packets. I never have them as a snack. They don't raise my BS levels by much at all.
Thank you. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Yes and once I have one bag I cannot stop. Thank you. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi,

When you mention "sick." Did you mean upset tummy?
Could there have been anything else eaten that may have caused a "bug" upset?
"Food poisoning" could elivate BGs..
Hi. I think it was the tablet. This morning I ate first then took tab half way and I was ok. Thank you xx.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.

What are chessies? X

Last edited:

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

ooooo I’ve ordered some cheesies