In my opinion

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Copy paste from the thread “high numbers” we really shouldn’t fight on someone’s asking for help thread, so please go ahead and discuss or tell me off here if you don’t like what I said…

In my opinion.

Your diet looks very good, you may need insulin therapy.

The good people here are unusually motivated to abstain and deprive themselves in a desperate attempt to avoid more or a medication or to get perfect blood scores, if an apple or banana for breakfast is your worst habit, be proud.

Eternal life via low carb or similar has yet to be proven, it’s all about balancing between health and happiness because we are all going to the same place regardless of if we eat an apple for breakfast or a rasher of bacon :)

I’ll get my coat

Firstly, I am one of “the people here” I have low carbed with amazing success for years and am an advocate of this diet, I spent years preaching its deeds,

Is anyone seriously going to tell me eating very low carb does not involve deprivation (of carbs)? Abstention of certain foods? Are we all self righteous enough to sit here and say we wouldn’t love a chip butty? This s not saying you or we are not perfectly happy eating a low carb diet.

We are not the 99% of the world, the people posting here have an unusual obsession about their health, a healthy obsession, this is not meant as a criticism, I am here too as you can see?

The reason I posted in that thread was because I saw someone asking for help, their story rang bells with my story, for me low carb stopped working well enough to be enough, the main replies I saw were stop eating a banana for breakfast, well that wouldn’t have worked for me! So let’s imagine this person reads the replies, goes away and cuts out the fruit, does not as the 99% of the population of type twos spend hours trawling through posts, realizes how we are so accepting of people choices? I don’t see acceptance of high carb, junk food diets but okayyy, they don’t see an improvement in bg and give up altogether on what is largely an excellent diet.

That was why I wrote what I wrote. I meant no offense to anyone here, I see nothing wrong with anyone trying to achieve perfect numbers, in fact I think it’s fantastic.

I am justifying what I said because we need to stop talking about it there, The “I’ll get my coat” comment suggested I knew it would be unpopular but I said it anyway, I am entitled to my opinion and care nothing if you disagree, if we all thought the same way we wouldn’t need a forum, we would just read a message board. So please go ahead and tell me I’m wrong all you like, I stand by everything I said, I apologize for offending people, that was not my intention, only to try and help, unfortunately stupid people like me also want to help.

intellectually, disagreeing with me is like clubbing baby seals, fill your boots.

Have a lovely day :)

Reactions: zand and LaoDan

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The person who started that thread has been T2 for 7 years. There was advice given to buy a meter back then. Also advice re low carbing. Whether the OP followed that advice or not was her choice. She also wrote about giving up smoking. That's hard! Chances are if someone bothered to do that then they will have also been doing their best with diet.

As you say, sometimes what worked once won't work any longer, and cutting out an apple and banana daily isn't (to my mind) going to push an HbA1c of 88 back into prediabetic levels. Sometimes we need to accept that time, stress etc affect us all.

Sometimes we need to help smooth the way for T2s starting insulin. Insulin isn't the enemy, if the pancreas has stopped producing it then it's time for it to have help. This isn't failure. This isn't being a bad diabetic. It's just the luck of the draw. You do your best and for several years it works, then it doesn't.

I have controlled my BGs with diet only for 10 years. That doesn't make me a better person than someone who struggles with it after a year, we are all unique, living with a unique set of circumstances. It has now become harder for me to control my T2. When the time comes I will use insulin. It scares me, but not as much as losing my sight or my limbs.

I gave you a winner rating for your post on that thread as I felt someone needed to say what you said. I didn't wade into the argument there as, like you said, it's wrong to argue on a thread asking for help.

Yes, try for perfect numbers by diet only, of course that's good sense, but remember you can also get perfect numbers if you need to start insulin. It's the numbers that matter, not how you get them.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hear hear! I'm glad I saw and read your post tonight. Your opinions are to me refreshing and reassuring.

Hang your coat up again and, as some folks say in my adopted neck of the woods, set a spell.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I had a chip butty last night.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found some cauliflower chips at the grocery store. Pretty tasty.