Type 1 BG number increase when driving ?

DerrickT1

Hello there everyone- curious to know if anyone out there has experienced high BG readings while driving a lot. I can see my CGM treading upward when I am on long drives ( anywhere from 2 to 9 hrs ) with no or little carbs on board. It's been confusing / frustrating me for some time but I am finally coming to terms with the notion that it is the driving (stress of some kind?) itself that is causing it; exercise, carbs and insulin have been taken out of the equation and I'm still trending high. Is this a thing ?? I never considered myself a stressed driver, I enjoy driving for the most part but I can't think of what else it may be. Anybody else have similar experiences ?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I notice some driving can cause my levels to rise, especially when stuck in a traffic jam or when I need to concentrate.
But your high may also be due to sitting still for 2 to 9 hours and not doing any exercise or even being dehydrated can affect CGM readings.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Yes. i.ve noticed this since using a GCM set up for the past 2.5 years.
Even mentioned it a few times.. Can scoot up as much as 3 or 4Mmol?

Usually whilst driving the work's truck.. I love my own vehicle but routing to gigs at unknown venues can do it too..

DerrickT1

ok, thanks for the responses . Can rise as much as 80-100 . First time I noticed the rise was in January whilst driving through snow. Another time I had missed a turn and there may have been some swearing at the GPS if you get me . But other occasions like driving on familiar roads around my house (not too stressful) it tends stay pretty level .

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ok, thanks for the responses . Can rise as much as 80-100 . First time I noticed the rise was in January whilst driving through snow. Another time I had missed a turn and there may have been some swearing at the GPS if you get me . But other occasions like driving on familiar roads around my house (not too stressful) it tends stay pretty level .

Hi,

Yeah, I pretty much get an update on my A pillar in my truck from the sensor via my phone every 5 minutes. One of those magnetic phone cradles.
BG tests confirm accuracy.
Even with a correction dose turning things around in the morning. Lol, half hour in the pickup truck, it's scooting up.. The arrow points north east.
Seems to return in projected range once I'm at the site & cracking on..
But then I'm not a massive Ford fan..

I've been known to need a heady correction for the Antwerp ring road. Lol, I've missed a few turns in the past..

KidDougi

Hello there everyone- curious to know if anyone out there has experienced high BG readings while driving a lot. I can see my CGM treading upward when I am on long drives ( anywhere from 2 to 9 hrs ) with no or little carbs on board. It's been confusing / frustrating me for some time but I am finally coming to terms with the notion that it is the driving (stress of some kind?) itself that is causing it; exercise, carbs and insulin have been taken out of the equation and I'm still trending high. Is this a thing ?? I never considered myself a stressed driver, I enjoy driving for the most part but I can't think of what else it may be. Anybody else have similar experiences ?

The glucose is coming from your liver reserve. I would suggest it is a good thing. Keep in mind driving is an activity and you need to keep your brain fed so your body used the reserves.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Driving has a MET of about 2 or 3 I believe that would mean an average person could burn approaching 200 calories or more depending on the conditions in an hour even as a passenger in a car you are expending extra energy so that as has been said could quite easily cause the liver to dump some stored sugar into your blood and the CGM of course would register that.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Hello, I'm a unrepentant motorcyclIst and bitter experience has taught me to test, test and test during my rides, energy expenditure through whatever cause when riding has to be compensated. Frequent koffy / bladder stops are a must, jelly babies, dextrose tablets, last resort sweet cake. One of my runs is a gentle 280 miles up't to the dark and dangerous norf.

Yep to be aware is half the battle, good luck.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Lakeslover

Yes since wearing a libre I’ve been aware that mine rising when driving or a passenger in a car, particularly bad on a motorway.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I'm different...lol
I'm active most of the time so when I get behind the wheel I need extra insulin.
If i'm on a long trip I usually have my wife with me so she uses my phone for the reading as I don't want to get nabbed equally i'm not clever enough to programme my readings into the car as some have done.

In years gone by I have stuck my finger out for my wife to perform a blood test whilst driving!!!

Tony