Quick lunch?

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi all. If I am to cut out bread completely what can I have at work in my lunch break? Has to b quick as either a wonderfully long 15 minutes (lol) or 30 mins. Grabbing a sandwich so much quicker. X

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd do ham and cheese wrapped round each other to make a "sandwich".
Maybe some low carb nuts (if you have an "off switch" where nuts are concerned).
Salad bowl?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Make a nice filling omelet/frittata/crustless quiche beforehand with lots of veggies, meat, cheese, whatever you like, and take cold slices of it with you instead of sandwiches.
Can be eaten just as easy as a sandwich if you make a firm omelette.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
  • Cubes of cheese with tomatoes and cucumber
  • Hard boiled eggs
  • Chicken drumsticks
  • Cold cooked sausages
  • Basically anything you'd normally have in your sandwich but more of it without the bread

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Make a nice filling omelet/frittata/crustless quiche beforehand with lots of veggies, meat, cheese, whatever you like, and take cold slices of it with you instead of sandwiches.
Can be eaten just as easy as a sandwich if you make a firm omelette.
Brill idea. I like the sound of the crustless quiche. X

Reactions: Antje77

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I'd do ham and cheese wrapped round each other to make a "sandwich".
Maybe some low carb nuts (if you have an "off switch" where nuts are concerned).
Salad bowl?
Yes I did think about the ham but I’m not a lover of cheese unless on pizza lol. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
  • Cubes of cheese with tomatoes and cucumber
  • Hard boiled eggs
  • Chicken drumsticks
  • Cold cooked sausages
  • Basically anything you'd normally have in your sandwich but more of it without the bread
Thank you. Like the sound of the cold sausages. X

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I am to cut out bread completely what can I have at work in my lunch break?
Crunchy Chinese leaf or cos lettuce or similar for the "bread"? With Hellman's Real mayo for the butter? (NOT the low cal. version). This is the lowest carb mayo I know AND uses free range eggs

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Brill idea. I like the sound of the crustless quiche. X
Be careful with the so-called crustless quiche sold in supermarkets - they have a thick pastry base!

But omelettes filled with cooked meat, spring onions, mushrooms, cheese etc are good cold, and if you need something you can hold in one hand then wrap it in fresh lettuce leaves.
I bake eggs in bun tins for buffet style eating - 2 eggs per tablesp double cream, black pepper, beat well then pour over grated cheese in the bun tin. Sprinkle with paprika or chives and bake at 160C gas 4 until they are lightly browned and just wobble slightly (between 13-14 mins in my oven. I add cooked ham or sliced peppers for variety.

Reactions: EllieM

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Crunchy Chinese leaf or cos lettuce or similar for the "bread"? With Hellman's Real mayo for the butter? (NOT the low cal. version). This is the lowest carb mayo I know AND uses free range eggs
Fab. Thank you. I have made the mistake of always using the lite version of Mayo. I’m gonna change that now. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Have you tried any low-carb breads to see if you tolerate them? I eat Livlife bread for lunch most days; it was a game-changer for me.
Oo. Where do I buy this bread? Have tried Burgen but that still makes my bloods quite high - 8’s 2 hrs after. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Have you tried any low-carb breads to see if you tolerate them? I eat Livlife bread for lunch most days; it was a game-changer for me.
Thank you. X

Mezza n

Me too I love liv life bread like you say it’s a game changer my hubby now eats it too as he prefers this to normal bread now.

Reactions: ZoeinKent

ZoeinKent

Oo. Where do I buy this bread? Have tried Burgen but that still makes my bloods quite high - 8’s 2 hrs after. X
You can get Livlife from Waitrose or some branches of Co-op (assuming you're in the UK?). It only has 3.4g of carbs per slice, and gives me great blood glucose readings. I load up the freezer with it when I find it in stock!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Be careful with the so-called crustless quiche sold in supermarkets - they have a thick pastry base!
I had no idea you could buy ready made crustless quiches!
I simply meant using the recipe for the inside of whatever quiche you like, and baking it.

@SuNuman , I love these as well, both fresh and hot from the oven or cold on the go the next day.
The recipe is very forgiving, you can add vegetables or substitute the creme fraiche and/or the mayonnaise for cream cheese if that's what you have in the fridge.
But the recipe just as it is is very nice too, if you prefer a clear recipe!
https://hip2keto.com/recipes/spicy-keto-tuna-melt-cups/

Reactions: EllieM