Crisps????

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I’m day 5 I think on metformin. Made me very sick this morning. My numbers were better yesterday but not good today. Mayb because I ate a bag of hoola hoops. Can I not eat crisps ever again. Thanks to you all. X.
I can't. A packet of Tayto cheese and onion used to be one of the little treats I had a couple of times a day - more carbs in one bag than I eat in 24 hours now. Potato is out for me, unfortunately. Would I rather have the crisps and the neuropathy (and the other symptoms) or no crisps and no neuropathy? I will do without crisps.

Pork scratchings and fried cheese "crisps" are an alternative.

Reactions: SuNuman

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I can't. A packet of Tayto cheese and onion used to be one of the little treats I had a couple of times a day - more carbs in one bag than I eat in 24 hours now. Potato is out for me, unfortunately. Would I rather have the crisps and the neuropathy (and the other symptoms) or no crisps and no neuropathy? I will do without crisps.

Pork scratchings and fried cheese "crisps" are an alternative.
Yes I now agree. X

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are some snacks that are low(ish) carb such as puffed Hula Hoops, Wotsits, Quavers or some small packets of popcorn which are nice for a treat or to have with a sandwich. All are below 10g carbs per bag

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
Hi. I’m day 5 I think on metformin. Made me very sick this morning. My numbers were better yesterday but not good today. Mayb because I ate a bag of hoola hoops. Can I not eat crisps ever again. Thanks to you all. X.
Hi I have Pom bears or skips or half a snack a jacks but I have a salad first

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SuNuman - If you like the crisp sensation, you can make "crisps" by microwaving wafer thin slices of Chorizo or Salami.

I use the ready sliced packages most supermarkets do for around £1. Lay the meat, in a single layer, on paper towel lined plate and zap them for 30 second bursts until they crisp. Between each burst, turn them over carefully, using tongs or a fork - they get VERY hot. In my microwave, I find they need 70-90 seconds. You do have to watch them, to get to know what you need to do in your own microwave, as they vary so much.

Once done be very careful when they are hot. Hot fat can cause very nasty burns. I love chorizo, and I can do as many or as few as I like. They're good as they come, or crumbled over a salad or cauliflower cheese for a bit of bite.

M&S used to do them as a ready made snack, but last I was there (we don't have an M&S locally), I couldn't find any.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
There are some snacks that are low(ish) carb such as puffed Hula Hoops, Wotsits, Quavers or some small packets of popcorn which are nice for a treat or to have with a sandwich. All are below 10g carbs per bag
Brill. Thank you. X