What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 this morning. Had a good trip to Norwich yesterday. Wondered around the whole of M&S and couldn't find one single item I wanted to buy for myself but did buy some dark chocolate and ginger florantines for Mr K. Looked at a couple of other clothes shops but couldn't see anything I liked either.

So gave up and had a lovely lunch in a little cafe - scrambled egg and bacon. Delicious. Then on to the hairdresser to have a trim and back home on the almost empty bus.

Reactions: karen8967

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a bit of a dull and overcast start here in the dark and dangerous north - shades of winter - “can we turn the clocks back yet?”
The wonder wheel of “I died in your sleep last night” read something that only the Wizard of Oz could know, and he turned out to be a midget with a loud hailer - perhaps now hiding in some cabinet office post.

Walked into town yesterday - usual route - supermarket - mask of Zorro - about 10 minutes is all - walked back - boiled a couple of eggs for lunch - PING - blooming ‘eck! - test booked - walked back into town (eggs turned off) - did a test. Phoned up Dominic Nostradamus Pythia, the oracle of Mordor, for advice. He assured me that I could not even begin to predict such an event. Should I turn the **** thing off on my phone?
I have sold my motorcycle - it’s being collected by a bike courier company at lunchtime. It’s quite a tall bike and getting a bit of a chew to get on and off (fine once I am riding) - so, plan is to move to our new house, get winter out of the way (subject to Government guidelines and traffic lights) and then look to buy something a little lower (not a hardly davidson mind).

Couple of trees in the park and someone laid reading a book. Hope that you all have a pleasant day. Koffy.

upload_2021-8-19_8-7-19.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Thursday has come round again a bit lively as Mr Flannigan would have it. Pwoppa bin day today y'all. Summer, schummer seems to be on loop hereabouts what about in your whereabouts or thereabouts? Swipey could only spit out a spiteful 5.0 today - I could not have seen that coming. Charming chap called Jason sold me a book which guaranteed to always make my fbg awesomely low and offered to sell me a bridge (or two):angelic: @Krystyna23040 Norwich sounds like a mixed pleasure but safe. Did you meet Delia? Where are you? Let's be 'avin you. 3 grandchildren, £8 shoulder of lamb and lawn mowing today. Good day in Ely yesterday helping Fat Face and Waitrose tidy their shelves and ensuring Starbucks stayed viable. One does one's best to help out. Stopped in Newmarket to help a butcher out with disposal of some brisket - I'll post an image later. tracked that for at least a decade. Pip Pip Old Toots.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

4.5 yesterday and 4.1 today

I was convinced pressed 'post' yesterday but the forum says apparently not :sorry: never mind

another shopping day managed ( Scotland still mandates masks), and the smelly bin has been emptied on schedule so that's progress, on the other hand we will not be volunteering tomorrow because someone on the charity staff has been in contact with someone who has now tested positive :( so they have stood down all the volunteers for this week. Makes good sense ;)

Hope your day is treating you well :)

@gennepher - that fybro group sounds horrible now, so regimented and unfriendly :sorry:
I like your minimal but charming portraits of Popeye :)

@alf_Josiah - hope things go well for mrs aJ :)

@lindisfel - Good news on the test and I'm glad you're improving :)

@dunelm - Lovely weeping willow, so much volume and movement in that foliage :) and I do like your Hokusai inspired composition :joyful:

art bit - bit of a disaster this one :sorry: , It's based on a photo of light on the sea and I didn't wait long enough for it to dry before working on the sky so it's ended up looking like the aliens are beaming something up :hilarious: interesting but not quite what I had in mind, I shall have another try at some point ;)
View attachment 50844
Thank you for your kind comments @geefull and I must say that I do like this painting of yours even if it did not turn out the way you expected it to.

Reactions: ianpspurs

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.5

Popeye: "I have just posed for 10 photographs. Have you got the shot you want yet?"
Me: "Yeah, the last one is perfect. It has the full glory of your white whiskers."
Popeye: "Can I have a cuddle now?"
Me: "Of course you can!"
And I cuddle him the rest of the night...
But he seems to think this cuddling extends to day time, and so we are both going to have a nap now..
4939605C-FDDD-4BFF-AF0A-D4DB212B6B6A.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.5

Popeye: "I have just posed for 10 photographs. Have you got the shot you want yet?"
Me: "Yeah, the last one is perfect. It has the full glory of your white whiskers."
Popeye: "Can I have a cuddle now?"
Me: "Of course you can!"
And I cuddle him the rest of the night...
But he seems to think this cuddling extends to day time, and so we are both going to have a nap now..
View attachment 50854
Enjoy your cuddles. I don't "do" cats, are granddaughters as effective?.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Enjoy your cuddles. I don't "do" cats, are granddaughters as effective?.
Nope @ianpspurs
Granddaughters are wriggly things, all arms and elbows and legs.
Not cuddly at all.

Cats are soft and furry and cuddly and purr...

Granddaughters don’t purr, they have sticky fingers and ask for sweets which mum has previously already said no to...

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope @ianpspurs
Granddaughters are wriggly things, all arms and elbows and legs.
Not cuddly at all.

Cats are soft and furry and cuddly and purr...

Granddaughters don’t purr, they have sticky fingers and ask for sweets which mum has previously already said no to...
Not mine.:) Julie is highly allergic to cats and I think I came across an unfriendly one as a baby so I have had a horror of them since forever. I do dogs, mostly labs.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not mine.:) Julie is highly allergic to cats and I think I came across an unfriendly one as a baby so I have had a horror of them since forever. I do dogs, mostly labs.
Ah @ianpspurs
The unfriendly cat.
I don't do labs. A black one bit me in the cheek when I was a toddler. Still bear the scars.
I don’t do Scotties. One bit me badly on the wrist and I still bear those scars.
And I don’t do German Shepherds. Someone set one on me in the 1990’s and it bit me badly on the bum shaking me from side to side, and I still bear those scars.

I have had 4 dogs and they were all Heinz 57.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah @ianpspurs
The unfriendly cat.
I don't do labs. A black one bit me in the cheek when I was a toddler. Still bear the scars.
I don’t do Scotties. One bit me badly on the wrist and I still bear those scars.
And I don’t do German Shepherds. Someone set one on me in the 1990’s and it bit me badly on the bum shaking me from side to side, and I still bear those scars.

I have had 4 dogs and they were all Heinz 57.
Hug for the dog experiences. Our two are meant to be springadors but no one, vets included, can detect any springer spaniel. I'm happy enough with that. I don't like the roly poly labs. These two are more stocky than our last fella who was athletically built to the last. Children could leave their plate or food all over the place and he would leave it alone.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The elusive hunk of brisket (2.5 kgs) I tracked down in Newmarket yesterday. We have genuinely been seeking brisket like this for years having seen images of what "real" brisket looked like. Hopefully The Food Fairy will do justice and I will finally be able to decide if brisket really is awful or just the versions we have been able to find. None of the previous versions looked remotely like this. Like a chunk from a wholly different species of animal. Is brisket actually like this when properly reared and butchered? There did seem to be less hosses on the gallops yesterday but surely a pure coincidence.:angelic: BTW, just how much meat is that for £13:woot::woot: Ultimately I would like to make my own pastrami so step 1 first.

Attachments

• 20210819_143140.jpg
    20210819_143140.jpg
    704.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The elusive hunk of brisket (2.5 kgs) I tracked down in Newmarket yesterday. We have genuinely been seeking brisket like this for years having seen images of what "real" brisket looked like. Hopefully The Food Fairy will do justice and I will finally be able to decide if brisket really is awful or just the versions we have been able to find. None of the previous versions looked remotely like this. Like a chunk from a wholly different species of animal. Is brisket actually like this when properly reared and butchered? There did seem to be less hosses on the gallops yesterday but surely a pure coincidence.:angelic: BTW, just how much meat is that for £13:woot::woot: Ultimately I would like to make my own pastrami so step 1 first.
That looks a good piece of brisket @ianpspurs
It makes a massive difference when meat is properly reared and butchered.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

4.5 yesterday and 4.1 today

I was convinced pressed 'post' yesterday but the forum says apparently not :sorry: never mind

another shopping day managed ( Scotland still mandates masks), and the smelly bin has been emptied on schedule so that's progress, on the other hand we will not be volunteering tomorrow because someone on the charity staff has been in contact with someone who has now tested positive :( so they have stood down all the volunteers for this week. Makes good sense ;)

Hope your day is treating you well :)

@gennepher - that fybro group sounds horrible now, so regimented and unfriendly :sorry:
I like your minimal but charming portraits of Popeye :)

@alf_Josiah - hope things go well for mrs aJ :)

@lindisfel - Good news on the test and I'm glad you're improving :)

@dunelm - Lovely weeping willow, so much volume and movement in that foliage :) and I do like your Hokusai inspired composition :joyful:

art bit - bit of a disaster this one :sorry: , It's based on a photo of light on the sea and I didn't wait long enough for it to dry before working on the sky so it's ended up looking like the aliens are beaming something up :hilarious: interesting but not quite what I had in mind, I shall have another try at some point ;)
View attachment 50844
Thank you @geefull
Yours is a lovely painting. It looks like sun is pouring out of the sky.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from a bit of a dull and overcast start here in the dark and dangerous north - shades of winter - “can we turn the clocks back yet?”
The wonder wheel of “I died in your sleep last night” read something that only the Wizard of Oz could know, and he turned out to be a midget with a loud hailer - perhaps now hiding in some cabinet office post.

Walked into town yesterday - usual route - supermarket - mask of Zorro - about 10 minutes is all - walked back - boiled a couple of eggs for lunch - PING - blooming ‘eck! - test booked - walked back into town (eggs turned off) - did a test. Phoned up Dominic Nostradamus Pythia, the oracle of Mordor, for advice. He assured me that I could not even begin to predict such an event. Should I turn the **** thing off on my phone?
I have sold my motorcycle - it’s being collected by a bike courier company at lunchtime. It’s quite a tall bike and getting a bit of a chew to get on and off (fine once I am riding) - so, plan is to move to our new house, get winter out of the way (subject to Government guidelines and traffic lights) and then look to buy something a little lower (not a hardly davidson mind).

Couple of trees in the park and someone laid reading a book. Hope that you all have a pleasant day. Koffy.

View attachment 50851
Whoops @dunelm
Bad luck getting pinged when you had barely met anyone.

Great trees. Perfect for reading under.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

4.3 today

we decided we would still go out to dine in the usual cafe even though we hadn't been volunteering ;)
very tasty as usual :D

followed it up with a village walk and then spent the earlier part of the evening on the next trial of LCish chutney. Mum had 4 or 5 plums she had bought which she found rather firm and sour (she likes her fruit very soft and sweet :hilarious: ) so instead of binning them as she suggested I brought them home.

By reading various chutney recipes it seems to me you can make chutney out of most fruit.

As per my experience last time (the rhubarb chutney, a light, tart chutney), I used shallots instead of onion, finely sliced and caramelised them with the spices first (I used a couple of slices of ginger and some cinnamon), then added the plums and a small amount of sweetener and ACV and cooked the resulting gloop down gently, took out the spices then I tasted and added a little bit more ACV and sweetener until I was happy with the taste balance, left it for a couple more minutes to amalgamate and then left it to cool. Mr gee likes it ;) it's 'darker and fuller' tasting and would go well with something fairly robust flavour wise I think. Good thing about making your own is you can make quite a small quantity at a time.

@lindisfel - Neptune? perhaps, but he'd have to hold pretty still :D

@Krystyna23040 - sounds like an good day :)

@dunelm - glad the test came back negative, it looks as though we're going to be hearing that *ping noise for some time to come :sorry:

Lovely stately trees in today's painting and looks a relaxing place to read, almost idyllic :)

@ianpspurs - that's a shapely hunk of brisket :)

@gennepher - Popeye is looking handsome today and he does indeed have fine whiskers :)

art bit - best rainbow I've managed so far I think :joyful:
painted on Bockingford paper, I do like this paper so I've ordered some more ;)

upload_2021-8-19_20-52-14.jpeg

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

4.3 today

we decided we would still go out to dine in the usual cafe even though we hadn't been volunteering ;)

followed it up with a village walk and then spent the earlier part of the evening on the next trial of LCish chutney. Mum had 4 or 5 plums she had bought which she found rather firm and sour (she likes her fruit very soft and sweet :hilarious: ) so instead of binning them as she suggested I brought them home.

By reading various chutney recipes it seems to me you can make chutney out of most fruit.

As per my experience last time (the rhubarb chutney, a light, tart chutney), I used shallots instead of onion, finely sliced and caramelised them with the spices first (I used a couple of slices of ginger and some cinnamon), then added the plums and a small amount of sweetener and ACV and cooked the resulting gloop down gently, took out the spices then I tasted and added a little bit more ACV and sweetener until I was happy with the taste balance, left it for a couple more minutes to amalgamate and then left it to cool. Mr gee likes it ;) it's 'darker and fuller' tasting and would go well with something fairly robust flavour wise I think. Good thing about making your own is you can make quite a small quantity at a time.

@dunelm - glad the test came back negative, it looks as though we're going to be hearing that *ping noise for some time to come :sorry:

Lovely stately trees in today's painting and looks a relaxing place to read, almost idyllic :)

@gennepher - Popeye is looking handsome today and he does indeed have fine whiskers :)

View attachment 50858
Thanks @geefull

I like this very much.
Peaceful. Low cloud and the wonderful beginning of the rainbow...

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
None of the previous versions looked remotely like this. Like a chunk from a wholly different species of animal. Is brisket actually like this when properly reared and butchered?
The brisket looks amazing. t looks nothing like any brisket that I have seen. It must be because it has been properly reared.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

4.3 today

View attachment 50858
Thank’s @geefull and yes, the *ping is surely with us for a while yet. Good idea with the chutney - I also make small batches, must try the rhubarb one. Beautiful landscape and a hint of rainbow - they must be quite difficult.