Hello everyone

SwissT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Everyone,

In Switzerland where I live I was diagnosed last week with Type 2 with bg of 14mmol/l, a1c of 10%.
I’m male, 57, 100kg, on 2g of Metformin per day, this has brought bg down to below 6, doc wants to get it down to 4.2 before he’ll reduce the dose.
Doc also told me to stop drinking alcohol as my liver results weren’t great.
Giving up drinking was easy but the week has been pretty bad with side-effects of Metformin, I’m also getting blurry vision which I never had at diagnosis.
Still finding my way, learning to cook for myself and manage food.
Still haven’t told family, they will likely have many questions to which I don’t have answers yet, I’d like to wait until it settles down and I know more myself.
Performance at work is suffering, but I hope the side effects will ease as they have started to do.
Thanks for reading and I hope I can learn from and contribute to this forum.

Reactions: SlimLizzy

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome! This forum is great, I joined a few weeks back and learnt so much. Sounds like you’re making the right changes to your lifestyle. If the problems with metformin persist, it might be worth talking to the doctor and changing to another medication that agrees with you

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The blurry eyes is only temporary as the excess sugars starts to clear. I remember I could almost see mine floating away. It will pass.

Ask away any questions here, food, cooking, meds, whatever. We've all been there

mouseee

The blurriness is a major symptom. It will fo as your bg drops. I think it took a few weeks for mine to go.
Sounds like you've made a good start.