Type 2 diabetes: losing weight the cure?

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Eating the correct diet for my body got me under control, probably 85-90% of the battle as far as BG levels go.

having said that, I average over 8km per day walking, not including exercise. I live about 2 km from the subway, usually my destination is some distance from the subway. One trip to the gym and one to the grocery store puts me around 8k lol.

6 miles, or maybe a better alternative of riding a stationary bike for 20 minutes would be awesome to correct circulation issues, or just burn up some calories. I had leg cramps and swollen ankles I fixed up with resistance training.

I dropped over 85 pounds, I can eat carbs again, but I don’t, it’s weird, I have cravings for a soft boiled egg, or a ribeye. I’ve successfully brainwashed myself lol.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
"earlier mortality" he didn't reply when asked for proof... although surprisingly didn't block me..
View attachment 50878
There’s a new meta analysis out that shows low carb is better. I couldn’t find a link, just this on one of the bodybuilding sites
B3DBD75B-0B77-48C2-BD53-E1B211A3BF75.jpeg

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have any evidence for this?

Quite keen to know if I'm truly now non-diabetic!

I'll have you know I pulled that stat out of my backside but I have a rationale.
If an average healthy adult has an A1c of 5.1%(32) & you'd assume they eat the SAD/Eatwell/Food Pyramid.
So if they were to reduce their carb intact to <130g they would sail into the 20s.

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest I think your gp is talking out of his backside and it really makes me mad!
I was diagnosed pre diabetic as a runner with a normal bmi.
I now have lower normal bmi, can't run but exercise and although I have normal hba1c's I still have to low carb to keep this way.

Can I ask why you gave up the running?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll have you know I pulled that stat out of my backside but I have a rationale.
If an average healthy adult has an A1c of 5.1%(32) & you'd assume they eat the SAD/Eatwell/Food Pyramid.
So if they were to reduce their carb intact to <130g they would sail into the 20s.
But isn't there a baseline somewhere? Everyone needs some bg to live, no one has zero bg so you can't assume a straight line decrease directly related to carb intake. Plenty of people now have a zero or near zero carb intake but they don't have a zero or near zero bg.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like your thinking...

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But isn't there a baseline somewhere? Everyone needs some bg to live, no one has zero bg so you can't assume a straight line decrease directly related to carb intake. Plenty of people now have a zero or near zero carb intake but they don't have a zero or near zero bg.
The liver will make glucose from fat to keep bg from going to low in the absence of carbs. I don't think we can say exactly what the bg for a non-diabetic would be any more than we can say what is a standard blood pressure, individuals vary.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
there is a baseline beyond which we are not to drop. This is why type 1's lose muscle eventually and can get very thin, even die. Their body is trying to get back to baseline.

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started to get too many injuries, I kind of thought it was my body telling me to give up. I did go to a private physio who helped but I still got a lot of aches and pains.
I exercise now but don't run.

Ah I see -thank you for sharing

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was a poster on here once who had an A1c of 22 in their sig.
Aha, found it britishpub | Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community
I've seen bell curves for A1c that didn't even start at that figure.

I get what your saying, the liver will make glucose through fat stores if need be to hold non-diabetics at an even keel. Like body temp it's regulated.

Reactions: HurricaneHippo