Feeling sick.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi I’m on day 9 I think of metformin. I’m not sick with it; thou I was once - but I just feel sick all the time. Will this go away does anyone kno? I feel pretty dreadful on it to b honest. X

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
If you're having problems with Metformin then I presume that you have switched to an extended release version.

Nobody knows how you will feel tomorrow or next week or next month. If it's the Metformin causing it, then as I'm sure you have been told, some have up to a couple of weeks of problems before their body gets accustomed. In others they have to stop taking it before it ruins their lives.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
If you're having problems with Metformin then I presume that you have switched to an extended release version.

Nobody knows how you will feel tomorrow or next week or next month. If it's the Metformin causing it, then as I'm sure you have been told, some have up to a couple of weeks of problems before their body gets accustomed. In others they have to stop taking it before it ruins their lives.
Yeah I’m on the slow release. The only thing I don’t do is drink a lot of water with the tablet. I had a ham salad tonight (quite small) and boy do I still feel sick after tablet. Perhaps I didn’t eat enough? I kno you have to b careful of carbs. Thanks for your reply. I will probably hav to ring my doctor I think. I wonder what happens if I cannot hack the metformin. X.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I’m on the slow release. The only thing I don’t do is drink a lot of water with the tablet. I had a ham salad tonight (quite small) and boy do I still feel sick after tablet. Perhaps I didn’t eat enough? I kno you have to b careful of carbs. Thanks for your reply. I will probably hav to ring my doctor I think. I wonder what happens if I cannot hack the metformin. X.
Do the full on dietary changes to keto and ditch the pills?
That's what I did.

Reactions: SuNuman

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin at 4 tabs a day made me low-grade nauseous all the time, and I would occasionally wake up during the night to vomit. Lovely! It also caused loss of appetite (not in a good way) and I suffered the more traditional unfortunate bowel effects off and on. For 3 months.

But I did as @bulkbiker suggests and went keto from the word go, so after 3 months my BG had normalised and I was able to cut the dose by half which fortunately did not affect me the same way. After 9 months I stopped taking metformin all together, no need for it. I could probably have ditched it completely after the 3 months but I was just cautious, especially since a lower dose was much more tolerable for me.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Metformin at 4 tabs a day made me low-grade nauseous all the time, and I would occasionally wake up during the night to vomit. Lovely! It also caused loss of appetite (not in a good way) and I suffered the more traditional unfortunate bowel effects off and on. For 3 months.

But I did as @bulkbiker suggests and went keto from the word go, so after 3 months my BG had normalised and I was able to cut the dose by half which fortunately did not affect me the same way. After 9 months I stopped taking metformin all together, no need for it. I could probably have ditched it completely after the 3 months but I was just cautious, especially since a lower dose was much more tolerable for me.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Yes. I think he should have told me to change my diet back as before first before medication. My A1c was 37 before lockdown when I was so strict. X.