Cirrhosis of the liver and diabetes

Smartypants79

Hi
Just wondering if anyone has cirrhosis and diabetes and if that effects their blood sugars.
Was diagnosed with both 20 months ago, was never pre diabetic all just came on quick. They think the cirrhosis was from constant steroids for Crohn’s disease and Nafld which when very quickly went through stages of Nash into stage 4 cirrhosis and diagnosed me with steroid induced diabetes which has never gone away. I take trulicity but recently
Felt unwell with extreme thirst, thrush, constant needing a wee, blurred vision, pain in my legs, bought a monitor and levels are 24.5 mmol. My Alt levels sit at 200 and can’t seem to get them down. I don’t drink, stopped my addiction to Diet Coke and cut carbs. I wondering if the liver is messing my levels around od anyone has something similar would love to hear from you x

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Felt unwell with extreme thirst, thrush, constant needing a wee, blurred vision, pain in my legs, bought a monitor and levels are 24.5 mmol.
Have you contacted your doctor about your levels?

I don't know about the cirrhosis, but those blood sugar levels are alarming.

Smartypants79

I spoke to the doctor on Friday, have given a urine sample and had hba1c check done (awaiting results)
My understanding is that that is rather high, yesterday it was 17. Feeling a little worried, have annoying low grade headache constantly.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I spoke to the doctor on Friday, have given a urine sample and had hba1c check done (awaiting results)
My understanding is that that is rather high, yesterday it was 17. Feeling a little worried, have annoying low grade headache constantly.

If the levels were 17 when the doctor saw you but are now running at 24, I would consider a call for advice to 111. Do you have any way to test for ketones?
Diabetic ketoacidosis - NHS - NHS (www.nhs.uk)
(Having said that Dr Google says DKA is rare in steroid induced diabetes, so hopefully you are fine, but DKA is so serious that it needs immediate medical treatment.)

I hope you feel better soon.

Smartypants79

Thanks, I’ve an appointment tomorrow with the doctor to review. Thanks for the information really helpful. I’ve ordered some ketone strips and I had no idea about DKA.. I have a feeling the liver issues I have are not helping with regulation hopefully I will start to feel better soon. Thanks again