Gonna stop metformin.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi. I’m so fed up of feeling constantly sick. Just like morning sickness all day. I’m going to stop the metformin now (been on it just less that 2 weeks). Do I need to tell my doctor ? You kno how hard it is at mo to see a GP. I’m gonna go back to step aerobics after meals and try to eat low carbs. Xx.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it’s sensible to tell your GP. Aside from keeping him informed and maintaining accurate medical notes, if you achieve a lower HbA1c next (which I’m sure you will) he’ll think it’s the Metformin that has done the job.
Can you not email your surgery or use an e-consult at your surgery, to save the GP’s time?

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What dose are you on? As I mentioned in your other thread, I felt awful on the maximum dose (2000mg a day?? 4 tablets anyway) and was fine on half that.

But I did tell my DN every time I reduced the dose and when I stopped completely. “Tell” being the correct phrase, not ask or discuss…. :)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Metformin does not keep you alive or support a vital mechanism in the body. At the very worst you might see a small upick in your numbers; with what your aerobics and low carb, if you respond how many do, the results will be better than metformin. The benefit of removing this drug is that you will not get any potential side effect from it that we know about, and any that we don't.

I would tell the Doctor at a next visit, as implication wise, it is not the same as say coming off of chemotherapy.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi. I’m so fed up of feeling constantly sick. Just like morning sickness all day. I’m going to stop the metformin now (been on it just less that 2 weeks). Do I need to tell my doctor ? You kno how hard it is at mo to see a GP. I’m gonna go back to step aerobics after meals and try to eat low carbs. Xx.
When I moved here 13 months ago my medical practice issued me with some drug beginning with a G, rather than my usual pack of Metformin, so I told the lady at the pharmacy that I didn't want them. She was very concerned and kept telling me they were still Metformin but with a different name, but I was adamant and gave them back to her. Well to cut this short I had no metformin for two months (just crossing it off on the monthly prescription paper) but then decided to try them. I'm still taking my one per day but my GP never contacted me over my two month refusal :D

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I moved here 13 months ago my medical practice issued me with some drug beginning with a G, rather than my usual pack of Metformin, so I told the lady at the pharmacy that I didn't want them. She was very concerned and kept telling me they were still Metformin but with a different name, but I was adamant and gave them back to her. Well to cut this short I had no metformin for two months (just crossing it off on the monthly prescription paper) but then decided to try them. I'm still taking my one per day but my GP never contacted me over my two month refusal :D
Glucophage probably which is brand name for Metformin
Or glucophage SR Which is slow release Metformin

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glucophage probably which is brand name for Metformin
Or glucophage SR Which is slow release Metformin
YES! It was the first one. I had forgotten the name :)

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
YES! It was the first one. I had forgotten the name :)
Indeed, lots of different brand names and generic names for drugs, can get a different make every month

@SuNuman i stopped drugs, not cause of side effects but due to improving control. I always think it's best to get doctors inside where possible as they may be able to help for exams with more frequent hba1c checks whilst you work at the diet approach

But needs good relationships I think with your medical team

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@SuNuman Metformin is no panacea for Diabetes in it's self it's effect on blood sugars is not that huge some people believe they can take Metformin and not worry about blood sugars this is not so as it is not a blood sugar reducing medication.

If you decide to discontinue it diet and exorcise would probably have a greater effect.

Do discuss any change in your medication with your doctor and be aware that there are alternatives to Metformin that your doctor can prescribe if he/she thinks it necessary or advisable,.

I should add that I am on the minimum dose 500mg a day I do not experience some of the worst side effects described by some but I do always make sure I take it with food or just after eating.

Last edited:
Reactions: SuNuman

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve no idea about how good bad or ugly they are and I’ve certainly done stuff against advice and without telling them many times so no advice here.

Just wanted to mention, I have always taken my Metformin without food, it suits me to take my meds at bedtime and when I leave for work, neither of these times are near food so I’ve always done this and not had tummy trouble so that might be worth a try?

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
@SuNuman Metformin is no panacea for Diabetes
I’ve no idea about how good bad or ugly they are and I’ve certainly done stuff against advice and without telling them many times so no advice here.

Just wanted to mention, I have always taken my Metformin without food, it suits me to take my meds at bedtime and when I leave for work, neither of these times are near food so I’ve always done this and not had tummy trouble so that might be worth a try?

in it's self it's effect on blood sugars is not that huge some people believe they can take Metformin and not worry about blood sugars this is not so as it is not a blood sugar reducing medication.

If you decide to discontinue it diet and exorcise would probably have a greater effect.
Thank you. I too am on 500 2 x a day. I spoke today to the pharmacist at work (I work in a supermarket) and he said to give it 3 weeks to settle down.

Do discuss any change in your medication with your doctor and be aware that there are alternatives to Metformin that your doctor can prescribe if he/she thinks it necessary or advisable,.

I should add that I am on the minimum dose 500mg a day I do not experience some of the worst side effects described by some but I do always make sure I take it with food or just after eating.

Thank you. I asked the pharmacist today at work (I work in a supermarket) and he said to give it 3 weeks to settle down. I’m just hoping it will. I’m on 500 2 x a day. I have not seen an above 8.5 since; whereas before I saw 10s and 12 2 hrs after, but it may b because I’m eating carefully. I’m gonna lose weight so quickly as I don’t want to eat lol. X

Reactions: JohnEGreen

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.

Thank you. I will certainly give that a try. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I think it’s sensible to tell your GP. Aside from keeping him informed and maintaining accurate medical notes, if you achieve a lower HbA1c next (which I’m sure you will) he’ll think it’s the Metformin that has done the job.
Can you not email your surgery or use an e-consult at your surgery, to save the GP’s time?
Thanks. Fab idea. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Indeed, lots of different brand names and generic names for drugs, can get a different make every month

@SuNuman i stopped drugs, not cause of side effects but due to improving control. I always think it's best to get doctors inside where possible as they may be able to help for exams with more frequent hba1c checks whilst you work at the diet approach

But needs good relationships I think with your medical team
thank you. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Thanks. I’m thinking I can do this without it but the pharmacy at work (I work part time in a supermarket) told me to give it 3 weeks to see if it settles down. Thanks for your reply. X

Reactions: coby

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks. I’m thinking I can do this without it but the pharmacy at work (I work part time in a supermarket) told me to give it 3 weeks to see if it settles down. Thanks for your reply. X
Well that's not too much longer is it, but if your sickness is becoming a real problem then maybe reduce the dose by half for the next week?

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Well that's not too much longer is it, but if your sickness is becoming a real problem then maybe reduce the dose by half for the next week?
Yes I thought that. :). X