Are there any peri/post/menopausal diabetic women who have tried this tweak on Keto and managed

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Are there any peri/post/menopausal diabetic women who have tried this tweak on Keto and managed to keep their blood sugar under control?

"
What Do Menopausal Women Need To Do Different With the Ketogenic Diet"
Dr Mindy Pelz

Trying to support the hormones without sending the blood sugar back in the wrong direction...

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t think I could. Luckily, so far, my symptoms aren’t so bad I’d risk this. My female hormones are dropping. That’s just a fact. Maybe I could smooth the fall and make it a more gentle slide rather than a crash but they are going to end up on the floor whatever way they get there.

And if you increase carbs 2 days a week that’s likely to kick you out of ketosis every week. Now I get that the longer you do keto the more flexible you get and the easier it is to slip back into it but this could cause a whole ‘nother set of issues (keto flu every week anyone?) on top of menopause hormones and bgl if you aren’t so flexible.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t think I could. Luckily, so far, my symptoms aren’t so bad I’d risk this. My female hormones are dropping. That’s just a fact. Maybe I could smooth the fall and make it a more gentle slide rather than a crash but they are going to end up on the floor whatever way they get there.

And if you increase carbs 2 days a week that’s likely to kick you out of ketosis every week. Now I get that the longer you do keto the more flexible you get and the easier it is to slip back into it but this could cause a whole ‘nother set of issues (keto flu every week anyone?) on top of menopause hormones and bgl if you aren’t so flexible.

I already haven't been able to sustain keto for the last 2 years that I have been eating the "keto" diet. Even though I managed to lost 10kg, I know I'm not in ketosis most of the time because there has been the odd time when I know I definitely WAS in ketosis and it feels different, doesn't it? But then I would get insomnia. So I've been more low carb than keto for the past couple of years, and I have been in and out and in and out of the keto flu. It's annoying. I get dizzy, I drink potassium salt, I get tired, I suffer, I get reenergised, then I can't sleep, but now I feel myself all hormonal and weird, cold and hot at the same time... so I need to try something that will support the hormones. I think my bs is not too bad yet but I'll be checking. Would be good to know if anyone has done it successfully.

andromache

I prefer HRT as a more reliable way of boosting those flagging hormones. I'm not normally one to take a pill for something that could be achieved more healthily through lifestyle change, but once Mother Nature has called it a day on the hormone front, no amount of dietary tweaking is likely to make much difference, it seems to me. Plus, I have my metabolic and general health to think about as well, and don't want to compromise that by dis-improving my diet if I can help it.

Reactions: zand

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I naturally do about 6 days low carb (don't eat many carbs but never measure ketones so probably dipping in and out).
If I were to take her advice to eat apricots, raspberries and papaya (suggested to support progesterone levels) I'd do it with some thick yoghurt /double cream.
Beans in chilli are normally fine for me but as type 1 I'd stay away from rice!
I haven't paid much attention thus far because I haven't had symptoms that I am aware of though my cycle is irregular. I agree that very strict fasting OR keto leaves me rather too awake.
Good luck with getting through this stage and pleased to hear she advises exercise but not the intense variety!