Blood Sugar Monitors

JamieKershaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve always controlled my Type2 Diabetes relatively successfully by diet.
In February 21 my mum died after three months in hospital and care homes. There were also some family issues. My HBA1C levels went through the roof, so much that I’m now on Metformin. I’m hoping to come off Metformin by getting my levels down by a low carb diet.
I feel I need to monitor blood sugar levels more regularly, but not daily.
Which is an accurate, quick and cost effective monitor to use for someone that only wishes to monitor on an adhoc basis?
Can monitors be acquired via NHS prescription?
Thanks

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi. I’m in the same place. I was diet controlled for 2 years then lockdown hit and I started eating for England. I’m so sorry you lost your mum and this obviously has taken a toll on your well-being.
I’m gonna get my levels back to normal and come off of metformin as it is making me feel terrible. I feel like I have morning sickness all day long (I’m 53 and well past that stage of my life).
My meter is from Amazon. Have a look on there - you really want to buy one with the cheapest strips. I don’t think you will have much luck with getting them on prescription unless you are type 1 or pregnant.
just remember- it can b done. X.

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it is worth sharing with your medical support team your intentions ... they should support blood glucose monitoring at least until you are off metformin. Good luck :)

Reactions: SuNuman

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I reduced my Hba1c to normal simply by testing before and after meals - once I was seeing under 8 I stuck to the same menu and saw that the numbers continued to fall.
If you don't test regularly then you can't connect the carbs and foods to your reaction to them.
The NHS do not encourage or support testing, as far as I know. There are a few surgeries with a more enlightened approach, but unless you are lucky enough to be registered with one of them I fear you are on your own when it comes to taking control.

JamieKershaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I reduced my Hba1c to normal simply by testing before and after meals - once I was seeing under 8 I stuck to the same menu and saw that the numbers continued to fall.
If you don't test regularly then you can't connect the carbs and foods to your reaction to them.
The NHS do not encourage or support testing, as far as I know. There are a few surgeries with a more enlightened approach, but unless you are lucky enough to be registered with one of them I fear you are on your own when it comes to taking control.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Sorry if I’m thick but if you see under 8; that same meal will eventually go lower? Everything takes time I suppose. X

chaoticliloj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was recently put onto steroids so brought myself a meter - it was from Amazon and is called VivaChek Ino X and seems to be ok. Due to the steroids putting my levels up a lot I spoke to the doctor who put me onto Novorapid to help adjust them when they get high, because of this he gave me a prescription for test strips for it but know that’s a rarity with T2

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry if I’m thick but if you see under 8; that same meal will eventually go lower? Everything takes time I suppose. X
Yes - I think my metabolism gradually recovered and could cope with the glucose faster.
I'd been put on a high carb diet to reduce cholesterol. It was also low fat, and it was basically killing me. I was almost spherical and felt so ill, but got pep talks every time I went for a check up.
When I was diagnosed type 2 I changed how I was eating from that moment, and just got better.
I became more active, and I did stop eating lunch as I didn't need it, but it was never a big meal for me, but by then I was no longer even prediabetic.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @HSSS
Hi @JamieKershaw here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

HOME HEALTH have the Gluco Navii, which is a fairly new model and seems to be getting good reviews, links to the strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively.

Then they sell the older SD Code Free, details to be found here!

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

Discount codes for the Code Free strips (which I have used in the past but I don’t know if they still work)

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

SPIRIT HEALTHCARE have a meter called the Tee2 + found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793

with the strips found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Edit for typo

Last edited:

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Thanks fir the tag @HSSS
Hi @JamieKershaw here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

HOME HEALTH have the Gluco Navii, which is a fairly new model and seems to be getting good reviews, links to the strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively.

Then they sell the older SD Code Free, details to be found here!

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

Discount codes for the Code Free strips (which I have used in the past but I don’t know if they still work)

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

SPIRIT HEALTHCARE have a meter called the Tee2 + found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793

with the strips found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
I’ve found these are fairly accurate - maybe read a little low but give a good indication and they are the cheapest I’ve found anywhere. And I’ve no vested interest here check it eBay Sinocare 100Kit Blood Glucose Monitor Sugar Diabetic Glucometer 100Pcs Strips UK.

Dollylolly

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The docs thinking drugs cure all
I’m still using the SD code free one

JamieKershaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks to all for your advice.

I’ve checked reviews for the Gluco Navii. Some reviews on Amazon say it’s inconsistent regarding accuracy.

Which blood sugar meter has a reputation to be consistently accurate?

This is probably more important to me rather than just cost.

Thanks

Jamie

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I used the Spirit Healthcare Tee2 + and it resulted in rock steady Hba1c levels for all the time I was using it.
You can sign up on their website, reply to the email and get VAT free prices.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I want a meter that reads 2 mmol/L low but nobody knows about it.
If them Codefree strips had of read low instead of high I reckon not so many people would have binned it off.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Thanks to all for your advice.

I’ve checked reviews for the Gluco Navii. Some reviews on Amazon say it’s inconsistent regarding accuracy.

Which blood sugar meter has a reputation to be consistently accurate?

This is probably more important to me rather than just cost.

Thanks

Jamie
Well from what I have read and experienced the contour next one in that regard is hard to beat but it is not cheap to run.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use an accuchek mobile. Seems to match my hba1c if I have taken sufficient readings and any blood glucose tests I’ve had along the way. Not sure how else to assess accuracy. Pretty consistent results on immediately sequential tests (not perfect but always within 1mmol usually less). I love the cassette instead of strips, the attached easy barrelled lancet and blue tooth ability with free sender attached

Reactions: HurricaneHippo