Low carb diet, ketone query

KidDougi

Also worth having a conversation with the nurse about her knowledge of nutritional ketosis as a result of low carb v ketoacidosis and the differences between them. She may or may not be aware of them!

I would add, don’t limit yourself on just one person’s knowledge. Find a nutritionist too..

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I just seen in control and feel normal which in a way is good but in another way I don't want to lose like you say that hypo awareness.

Could give you issues with keeping your driving license?

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that is what's confusing me. Ketosis and ketoacidosis. As far as my diabetic nurse said anything about 1 to 1.5 needs attention. Aren't you worried about ketones if you've had them at 3.5 or is that not harmful for a type 1 diabetic.

To answer your question above, I’ve done lots of research on the subject of type one doing low carb diet. I’ve tried to read all information available on internet. I am comfortable with my type 1 diabetes and what insulin does. I feel quite certain that for the subject of diabetics on low carb diet i have more knowledge than my diabetes nurses or doctors do. I don’t expect my DN and doctors to be supportive of low carb diet and I don’t expect their understanding, although it would be nice if they were supportive. I never miss taking insulin and I keep close monitoring of my bs level. I don’t feel worried at all if my ketone level is at 3.5.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I don’t expect my DN and doctors to be supportive of low carb diet and I don’t expect their understanding, although it would be nice if they were supportive. I never miss taking insulin and I keep close monitoring of my bs level. I don’t feel worried at all if my ketone level is at 3.5.

My team are OK at 30g per meal (ie 90g a day) but don't recommend less. I will push them for info next time I see them (at the end of the year?) but don't think they have the knowledge to give me much info about DKA and very low carb T1s. I suspect that this may be a personal thing for very low carb folk so that one particular level may be dangerous for one person but not for another? (Just a guess).

Typeonegrit are an obvious resource for more info for T1s wanting to do keto but am currently locked out of facebook (they really don't like it when you move countries and I'm not willing to send them info such as a passport or driving license:)). And I don't really want to go full keto, though I could easily drop to 50g or 60g per day.

But I get the impression that low carb (maybe not very low carb) is becoming more accepted by GPs and DNs, so patience may be a virtue that we all just need to acquire.

Reactions: michita

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To answer your question above, I’ve done lots of research on the subject of type one doing low carb diet. I’ve tried to read all information available on internet. I am comfortable with my type 1 diabetes and what insulin does. I feel quite certain that for the subject of diabetics on low carb diet i have more knowledge than my diabetes nurses or doctors do. I don’t expect my DN and doctors to be supportive of low carb diet and I don’t expect their understanding, although it would be nice if they were supportive. I never miss taking insulin and I keep close monitoring of my bs level. I don’t feel worried at all if my ketone level is at 3.5.

I just want to add that I’m very fit and I don’t get sick often. If you are not so fit and get sick easily then of course you would feel more worried about ketone level and need to be more careful. Everyone is different.