Losing weight too quickly.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi. I’m eating very carefully now. Been on metformin (still feel sick) for 2 weeks. So I was 12 8 (5 3). This morning I’m 12 2. I kno this is because I’m only having about 1100 Cals if that; as because I feel sick not really bothered about food (first time ever!). Is this worrying to lose weight this quickly? My fasting blood was 6.2 this morning. Did have a 9.8 2 hrs after last night but went down to 8.5 15 mins after the 2 hrs. Thank you. X

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How much weight have you lost, and over what period of time? What sort of daily food intake do you have?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't say when you took the 12.8 reading so I can't say if it's quick or slow. Daily differences can account for weight swings so it's important to weigh yourself in similar circumstances each time so that nothing gets weighed that you didn't intend to.

Losing weight quickly is possible if you have just gone low carb as it did with me but a plateau is reached when the fat has mostly gone.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
You don't say when you took the 12.8 reading so I can't say if it's quick or slow. Daily differences can account for weight swings so it's important to weigh yourself in similar circumstances each time so that nothing gets weighed that you didn't intend to.

Losing weight quickly is possible if you have just gone low carb as it did with me but a plateau is reached when the fat has mostly gone.
Sorry my post confusing. I weighed 12 stone 8 2 weeks ago. I weigh 12 2 this morning. My bloods was 9.8 last night 2 hrs after food and 6.2 this morning. I’m finding it hard to enjoy food. I crave a jacket potato now. I’m very up n down I was so positive only Saturday but now I’m just concerned I will lose too much weight. Thank you. Xxx

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Sorry my post confusing. I weighed 12 stone 8 2 weeks ago. I weigh 12 2 this morning. My bloods was 9.8 last night 2 hrs after food and 6.2 this morning. I’m finding it hard to enjoy food. I crave a jacket potato now. I’m very up n down I was so positive only Saturday but now I’m just concerned I will lose too much weight. Thank you. Xxx
I’m 5 foot 3. X

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The reason I was taken off Metformin was because of taste disturbance. I was warned that it might reduce my appetite but was not told that everything would taste like burnt plastic. This is one of the side effects so you may be experiencing a partial case of it. Certainly report it to your DN.

I don't feel your weight loss is too fast. A change of diet can cause a dramatic effect while your body learns to handle the new regime. Of course if it doesn't slow or stop in time then that would be a cause for worry but at the moment I don't think it is.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The experts say a loss of 2lbs a week is desirable. You have lost 3 lbs a week, which in my mind is fine for the time being and I would not be worried if it were me. How much do you need to lose? Our weight varies during the day, just like our blood sugar, blood pressure and everything else.

Reactions: SuNuman

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Weight loss target should be 0.5 - 1% of your body weight per week. 0.5 is probably a better target as 1% is pushing pretty hard,

Ive lost around 88 pounds, I target 1% until I feel driven into the ground, then I just take a couple weeks break, then start again.

I focus on nutritional foods, protein and I take a multi vitamin.

edit. Stay hydrated and watch your electrolytes…

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
The reason I was taken off Metformin was because of taste disturbance. I was warned that it might reduce my appetite but was not told that everything would taste like burnt plastic. This is one of the side effects so you may be experiencing a partial case of it. Certainly report it to your DN.

I don't feel your weight loss is too fast. A change of diet can cause a dramatic effect while your body learns to handle the new regime. Of course if it doesn't slow or stop in time then that would be a cause for worry but at the moment I don't think it is.
Thank you. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
The experts say a loss of 2lbs a week is desirable. You have lost 3 lbs a week, which in my mind is fine for the time being and I would not be worried if it were me. How much do you need to lose? Our weight varies during the day, just like our blood sugar, blood pressure and everything else.
Just over 2 stone now would put me at the higher end of a healthy BMI at 10 stone x.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with @Bluetit1802 , you are only a little over the recommended 2lbs/week. I too lost weight very rapidly when I started low carbing. I lost six stone over the first eighteen months or so!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I'm 5ft 7 and I weighed 12st 2lbs when I started Low Carbing. I didn't restrict calories, didn't even count them at all - just carbs. Neither did I intend getting down to 10st at my lightest - it just happened as a result of me losing between 1 .5 to 2lbs per week as a result of my Low Carb with higher Protein and 'natural traditional ' Fat.

Meaning I never ate 'fat bombs etc., but stopped seeking out Low Fat food - seeking Full Fat ones instead and stopped cutting the fat off bacon and other meats. I reckon that I actually ate more calories than before in the first few weeks due to replacing the carby foods with either Protein or traditional fat (such as hard cheese, nuts, full fat greek yogurt etc.).

When my weight dropped below 11st I started to have a little concern about when it would stop, but I was determined to 'beat' Type 2 and my BMI was still at the upper end of the 'healthy weight' ( 23.8 down from 26.6).
At my absolute lowest weight my BMI was 21.9 which is in the middle of the 'healthy weight' range for me. Since I got 'fat adapted' and got my HbA1C down below 42 I have allowed myself to snack on low carb foods and my weight has gone up to 10st 5lbs - so my current BMI is 22.7, but I'm a long way from being underweight because the low side of the 'healthy range' for me is way down at 8st 6lbs!

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Weight loss target should be 0.5 - 1% of your body weight per week. 0.5 is probably a better target as 1% is pushing pretty hard,

Ive lost around 88 pounds, I target 1% until I feel driven into the ground, then I just take a couple weeks break, then start again.

I focus on nutritional foods, protein and I take a multi vitamin.

edit. Stay hydrated and watch your electrolytes…

Reactions: LaoDan

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I'm 5ft 7 and I weighed 12st 2lbs when I started Low Carbing. I didn't restrict calories, didn't even count them at all - just carbs. Neither did I intend getting down to 10st at my lightest - it just happened as a result of me losing between 1 .5 to 2lbs per week as a result of my Low Carb with higher Protein and 'natural traditional ' Fat.

Meaning I never ate 'fat bombs etc., but stopped seeking out Low Fat food - seeking Full Fat ones instead and stopped cutting the fat off bacon and other meats. I reckon that I actually ate more calories than before in the first few weeks due to replacing the carby foods with either Protein or traditional fat (such as hard cheese, nuts, full fat greek yogurt etc.).

When my weight dropped below 11st I started to have a little concern about when it would stop, but I was determined to 'beat' Type 2 and my BMI was still at the upper end of the 'healthy weight' ( 23.8 down from 26.6).
At my absolute lowest weight my BMI was 21.9 which is in the middle of the 'healthy weight' range for me. Since I got 'fat adapted' and got my HbA1C down below 42 I have allowed myself to snack on low carb foods and my weight has gone up to 10st 5lbs - so my current BMI is 22.7, but I'm a long way from being underweight because the low side of the 'healthy range' for me is way down at 8st 6lbs!

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Excellent. Thank you. A reassuring reply. Well done. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I agree with @Bluetit1802 , you are only a little over the recommended 2lbs/week. I too lost weight very rapidly when I started low carbing. I lost six stone over the first eighteen months or so!
Wow. Well done. Thank you. X

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I’m eating very carefully now. Been on metformin (still feel sick) for 2 weeks. So I was 12 8 (5 3). This morning I’m 12 2. I kno this is because I’m only having about 1100 Cals if that; as because I feel sick not really bothered about food (first time ever!). Is this worrying to lose weight this quickly? My fasting blood was 6.2 this morning. Did have a 9.8 2 hrs after last night but went down to 8.5 15 mins after the 2 hrs. Thank you. X

A lot of the initial weight loss when starting low carb is water weight .

Loss will likely slow as your body adjusts to your new way of eating.

It provides a great incentive but probably won't keep going forever,.. enjoy it while it lasts!

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Also to be fair, many people do find the very beginning of the weight loss journey is quite a drop and then it slows down. Things like water loss. Might not be the case in all places but I dropped quicker for the first few weeks and then smoothed out to between 500g - 1kg a week thereafter and now and staying quite flat, bit of fluctuation as expected

Which I can see @bulkbiker did also say. I missed that bit :)

Reactions: bulkbiker