Feeling so disheartened

JustmeGemmy

Really thought I’d cracked it this afternoon with my lunch. I had a chicken sandwich (using Burgen seeded bread, butter & full fat mayo), 1/4 melon, 1 low carb blondie & some full fat cream. 1hr later & im at 8.5mmol/l :( Idk if it was the melon, or if it was the blondie.. although the blondie has minimal carbs, made with ground almonds & sweetener. I’m so annoyed. And stupidly, didn’t go for a post-meal walk. Now I know better. Sigh. Guess I’ll just split up my meals entirely?! Sandwich, check BS.. then melon & protein, check BS.. then blondie & cream, check BS & after all that, it’s been 6hrs & I’ve just finished lunch :shifty:

I ought to go back to what I was eating with GD. I don’t think I’d have touched a melon while I was pregnant. Fruit isn’t my friend.

Reactions: LaoDan

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really thought I’d cracked it this afternoon with my lunch. I had a chicken sandwich (using Burgen seeded bread, butter & full fat mayo), 1/4 melon, 1 low carb blondie & some full fat cream. 1hr later & im at 8.5mmol/l :( Idk if it was the melon, or if it was the blondie.. although the blondie has minimal carbs, made with ground almonds & sweetener. I’m so annoyed. And stupidly, didn’t go for a post-meal walk. Now I know better. Sigh. Guess I’ll just split up my meals entirely?! Sandwich, check BS.. then melon & protein, check BS.. then blondie & cream, check BS & after all that, it’s been 6hrs & I’ve just finished lunch :shifty:

I ought to go back to what I was eating with GD. I don’t think I’d have touched a melon while I was pregnant. Fruit isn’t my friend.
8.5 at 1 hour is not bad considering 2 slices of Burgan is about 23g of carbs apart from the melon. You should measure at 2 hours, even non-diabetics will have a rise at 1 hour.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!

Didn't you take a reading at 2 hours?

JustmeGemmy

I’ve got 40 minutes until it’s been 2hrs, I don’t think it’ll lower enough by then :( I’m so used to testing after an hour (for GD), I got ahead of myself & was expecting it to be below 7.8 after an hour

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
That’s time enough to get that walk in : )

Reactions: EllieM

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve got 40 minutes until it’s been 2hrs, I don’t think it’ll lower enough by then :( I’m so used to testing after an hour (for GD), I got ahead of myself & was expecting it to be below 7.8 after an hour

Stick to 2 hours after first bite until you know fully what you are doing. The secret is to test immediately before you eat and then after 2 hours the rise should be less than 1mmol. Without testing before the next test is irrelevant because the higher you start the higher you will finish. Any rise less than 2mmol is good, and preferably the total should be less than 7.8.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bear in mind people without diabetes can see spikes up to about 9 mmol/l.
A rise to 8.5 after an hour is not likely to be a major concern.

I recommend being kinder to yourself - the stress will add extra mmol/l.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

JustmeGemmy

I didn’t manage to go for a walk because my daughter was napping, but thankfully it came down to 6.3, which is better!
My after dinner reading was 5.9, with a well paired meal & a walk afterwards. I don’t know what I’d do if walking made my numbers go up! It was always my go-to with GD.

Is the 8.5 at 1hr cause for concern? Or do I just focus on the 2hr reading? I’m really hoping I have a better reading in the morning. It’s been so high lately (around 7mmol/l for a few days in a row. This morning was the first time it was more reasonable at 6.3)

Reactions: coby and SaskiaKC

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I was 9.4 2 hrs after just one tiny bag of crisps today at work. I just don’t kno what to eat. I dislike most food other than bread and potatoes. Burgen bread is awful lol and it still puts me in the 9’s. X.
I still feel very sick from **** metformin. X

JustmeGemmy

I was 9.4 2 hrs after just one tiny bag of crisps today at work. I just don’t kno what to eat. I dislike most food other than bread and potatoes. Burgen bread is awful lol and it still puts me in the 9’s. X.
I still feel very sick from **** metformin. X

I am working on the basis of pairing my food, something I learned with GD. I don’t eat naked carbs, always try to pair them with something high in (good) fat &/protein. It worked really well when I was pregnant & hopefully does the same thing to get my numbers down now too! Good luck x

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I am working on the basis of pairing my food, something I learned with GD. I don’t eat naked carbs, always try to pair them with something high in (good) fat &/protein. It worked really well when I was pregnant & hopefully does the same thing to get my numbers down now too! Good luck x
I see. Thank you. May I ask how old you were when you were diagnosed diabetic? I had GD 27 years ago and I am now 53 with type 2. X

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

JustmeGemmy

I see. Thank you. May I ask how old you were when you were diagnosed diabetic? I had GD 27 years ago and I am now 53 with type 2. X

I’m 35 now, I’ve had 2 GD pregnancies. I am waiting for a hba1c to confirm whether I’m prediabetic or not atm. But many of my morning fasting levels have been over 7mmol/l, which isn’t good. I’m determined to try to reverse it before it gets too bad. Thankfully I have my testing kit, so I test regularly, & I have annual hba1cs because of GD.

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I didn’t manage to go for a walk because my daughter was napping, but thankfully it came down to 6.3, which is better!
My after dinner reading was 5.9, with a well paired meal & a walk afterwards. I don’t know what I’d do if walking made my numbers go up! It was always my go-to with GD.

Is the 8.5 at 1hr cause for concern? Or do I just focus on the 2hr reading? I’m really hoping I have a better reading in the morning. It’s been so high lately (around 7mmol/l for a few days in a row. This morning was the first time it was more reasonable at 6.3)
Focus on the 2 hr reading: as mentioned above, 8.5 after 1hr isn't bad at all- especially after fruit and bread. If it then dropped to 6.3 after 2 hrs, then it's really a good response.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Considering you had fruit... That wasn't half-bad! Rather than check all foods separately for hours and hours on end on the same day, not giving your pancreas a break, just ditch the melon and see what that gets you. It's the most likely culprit, aside from the bread. Also, some people respond badly to sweeteners. Not all of us, so that is a thing worth testing: When you taste something sweet, your pancreas might pump out some additional insulin, expecting you'll need it. When you don't, the liver (over-)compensates with a glucose dump so you won't go too low... Which is more than you might be able to cope with, putting you higher than you'd want to be. But again, that doesn't happen to all of us, so something to find out. Just not on the same day you're checking the melon. (Might blur results).

And yeah, test after 2 hours. Being a 8,5 at an hour after eating that is still quite alright.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I’m 35 now, I’ve had 2 GD pregnancies. I am waiting for a hba1c to confirm whether I’m prediabetic or not atm. But many of my morning fasting levels have been over 7mmol/l, which isn’t good. I’m determined to try to reverse it before it gets too bad. Thankfully I have my testing kit, so I test regularly, & I have annual hba1cs because of GD.
It took me 27 years to develop after GD pregnancy. I’m sure you can turn it around as I did once (but piled weight back on re: lockdown) and am now on 1 metformin a day but I’m gonna come off those 100%. You have a very good attitude. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Considering you had fruit... That wasn't half-bad! Rather than check all foods separately for hours and hours on end on the same day, not giving your pancreas a break, just ditch the melon and see what that gets you. It's the most likely culprit, aside from the bread. Also, some people respond badly to sweeteners. Not all of us, so that is a thing worth testing: When you taste something sweet, your pancreas might pump out some additional insulin, expecting you'll need it. When you don't, the liver (over-)compensates with a glucose dump so you won't go too low... Which is more than you might be able to cope with, putting you higher than you'd want to be. But again, that doesn't happen to all of us, so something to find out. Just not on the same day you're checking the melon. (Might blur results).

And yeah, test after 2 hours. Being a 8,5 at an hour after eating that is still quite alright.
Which fruit can you tolerate? At mo I have just been having raspberries and strawberries. X

Reactions: coby