Does this qualify as satisfactory?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Just called surgery for hba1c result, was told it is satisfactory, I asked for the number, she said it was 61, after seeing people here talking about their numbers I’m not sure that is satisfactory is it? Or is it debatable and down do what I want?

Was once upon a time 126 so I get it’s better than that but I see 30’s and 40’s talked about.

Also I asked for my c-peptide and she said that’s satisfactory too, I had to ask again 0.05 umol per mol, I had been told the number over phone but not the umol part whatever the hell that means, but still can’t understand how this could be considered satisfactory? As I’ve read that’s low and nurse on phone said it’s low.

sorry, kinda ranting.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
My libre says estimated a1c 6.9% 52mmol/mol, assuming the 61 is comparable to the 52, what’s that all about? Could it be that far out?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't know anything about C Peptide, sorry.

As for HbA1c I would say it's not awful, but could be a bit better, so I guess that's what they mean when they say satisfactory.

My own HbA1c in February was 56. I was asked to try to improve it and get it retested in 3 months.
As you are on insulin they will be wary and not want to push you alot lower because of the danger of hypos

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't know anything about C Peptide, sorry.

As for HbA1c I would say it's not awful, but could be a bit better, so I guess that's what they mean when they say satisfactory.

My own HbA1c in February was 56. I was asked to try to improve it and get it retested in 3 months.
As you are on insulin they will be wary and not want to push you alot lower because of the danger of hypos
Thankyou

So could do better? That rings a bell :)

I think I read too many successful people here, I need to find some people doing badly lol

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
My libre says estimated a1c 6.9% 52mmol/mol, assuming the 61 is comparable to the 52, what’s that all about? Could it be that far out?
What’s a libre? Sorry going off topic. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Thankyou

I think I read too many successful people here, I need to find some people doing badly lol
Lol. My bro told me my 9’s after 2 hrs would b good for him lol. Bless him. X

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
What’s a libre? Sorry going off topic. X
Hi
It’s a little thingy that sticks to your arm and you zap it with your phone and it tells you your bg numbers without having to prick finger, it’s amazing! Life changing in fact.

it costs my £50 for two weeks but worth it, some type ones get it on prescription

search freestyle libre for a better explanation than mine :)

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Do your blood tests match the libre when you do them, or are you not double checking?
I found with my libre it was often about 1ish mmol/L out and 1 mmol/L out does equate to a little less than that difference (but not a hideously long way off)

Reactions: Fenn

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Fenn given your story/journey to where you are today, 61 is "satisfactory" for someone with relatively recently diagnosed Type 1 diabetes.
Many diabetes HCP are afraid that lower HbA1Cs in the 40s and 50s are indicative of lots of hypos so a common target for Type 1 is around 55 and 61 is not far off this figure.

I recommend doing yourself a favour and do not compare your results with those of a very well controlled type 2 who is in remission. As you are learning, Type 1 is a different beast.
(Incidentally, your profile seems to still describe you as a T2 on insulin)

As for the Libre estimate, I do not give much credence to the HbA1C estimate that Libre provides. For some it is close, mine was out by about 20%. It uses a vey different algorithm.

Reactions: KK123 and Fenn

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi
It’s a little thingy that sticks to your arm and you zap it with your phone and it tells you your bg numbers without having to prick finger, it’s amazing! Life changing in fact.

it costs my £50 for two weeks but worth it, some type ones get it on prescription

search freestyle libre for a better explanation than mine :)
Oh thank you. Yes I have seen that. If it predicts A1c then that is fab. X

Reactions: ianpspurs and Fenn

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Do your blood tests match the libre when you do them, or are you not double checking?
I found with my libre it was often about 1ish mmol/L out and 1 mmol/L out does equate to a little less than that difference (but not a hideously long way off)

Thankyou

I hate to say I haven’t pricked my finger in years, I will try and find the monitor and test. I expected a difference but was always quite close in the days when I did check.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It depends, in the UK NICE has different HBac target levels based on age, the older you are the higher the target. I understand the reasoning behind this is the prevention of complications as the development of complications is related to Hba1c and the length of time the Hba1c is raised. So for a T2 at age 30yrs the Hba1c target is lower than for a T2 at age 70yrs. because the life expectancy of the 70 year old is lower than the 30 year old the 70 year old has less time to develop complications. What would be reported as satisfactory by your GP is therefore age and guideline dependant. In general the closer to "normal" your Hba1c is the longer complications will take to develop, if at all. I suggest therefore that you run at whatever level is comfortable for you provided it is at or lower than the NICE guidelines.

As a bit of an aside my GP, after some badgering, is happy to support me running my Hba1c at a lower level for my age than the target and my diabetes nurse is very supportive.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
@Fenn given your story/journey to where you are today, 61 is "satisfactory" for someone with relatively recently diagnosed Type 1 diabetes.
Many diabetes HCP are afraid that lower HbA1Cs in the 40s and 50s are indicative of lots of hypos so a common target for Type 1 is around 55 and 61 is not far off this figure.

I recommend doing yourself a favour and do not compare your results with those of a very well controlled type 2 who is in remission. As you are learning, Type 1 is a different beast.
(Incidentally, your profile seems to still describe you as a T2 on insulin)

As for the Libre estimate, I do not give much credence to the HbA1C estimate that Libre provides. For some it is close, mine was out by about 20%. It uses a vey different algorithm.
Thankyou

I am type two, or at least until the consultant on the 7th says otherwise, the nurse said she wasnt allowed to change my diagnosis, only a senior doctor can do that. I will really struggle to believe I am anything other than T2, after this long.

I think you are right, I won’t look at the estimate any more, it’s disappointing.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
It depends, in the UK NICE has different HBa1ctarget levels based on age, the older you are the higher the target. I understand the reasoning behind this is the prevention of complications as the development of complications is related to Hba1c and the length of time the Hba1c is raised. So for a T2 at age 30yrs the Hba1c target is lower than for a T2 at age 70yrs. because the life expectancy of the 70 year old is lower than the 30 year old the 70 year old has less time to develop complications. What would be reported as satisfactory by your GP is therefore age and guideline dependant. In general the closer to "normal" your Hba1c is the longer complications will take to develop, if at all. I suggest therefore that you run at whatever level is comfortable for you provided it is at or lower than the NICE guidelines.

As a bit of an aside my GP, after some badgering, is happy to support me running my Hba1c at a lower level for my age than the target and my diabetes nurse is very supportive.
Thankyou

That’s interesting, never knew that but I guess it makes sense, at just 51 don’t feel they should give up on me just yet, even if I have :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Fenn, if your A1c has gone from 126 to 61 you are doing something right for you which is definitely satisfactory. If the Dr/Dn is content with how you are managing things take it as a good sign. Don't be comparing yourself to other people - did you expect to be able to compete at Tokyo? Libre and Stabbington normally won't give the same reading, even time adjusted. A1c is different again to either. I have never had an A1c close to what Stabbington or Libre may suggest - out both ways. We are all unique - no whatsit Sherlock - how you function best is no guide at all for how I will manage this. Very bitter experience taught me that.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Thankyou

Aww Fenn, I know what you mean about so many success stories, but it takes time to achieve, and you would most certainly know if the Doctors were concerned over your recent numbers, so take it as a reassuring step in the right direction :) x

Dark Horse

0.05 umol per mol,
I think there has been some confusion over the units. Micromoles/mole is not used for C peptide but used for HbA1c. In the UK, C peptide is usually expressed in nanomoles per litre (nmol/L). One micromole (usually written as umol if the greek letter mu is not available on the keyboard) is equal to 1000 nanomoles. In the USA C peptide is usually given as ng/L (nanograms per litre). Usually lab results give a normal range for each test in brackets immediately after the test result.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I think there has been some confusion over the units. Micromoles/mole is not used for C peptide but used for HbA1c. In the UK, C peptide is usually expressed in nanomoles per litre (nmol/L). One micromole (usually written as umol if the greek letter mu is not available on the keyboard) is equal to 1000 nanomoles. In the USA C peptide is usually given as ng/L (nanograms per litre). Usually lab results give a normal range for each test in brackets immediately after the test result.
Thankyou

Please tell me that someone else read this with wide eyes and an open mouth!

What I quoted was written from memory from what the receptionist said over the phone, I’m sure the confusion was mine not hers :)

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Aww Fenn, I know what you mean about so many success stories, but it takes time to achieve, and you would most certainly know if the Doctors were concerned over your recent numbers, so take it as a reassuring step in the right direction :) x
Thankyou