Diet drinks.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi all. A kind member has advised me to begin a thread on this.
I drink lots of Pepsi max. Loads. I started drinking it 27 years ago when diagnosed with GD. Then when my son was born and it went, I loved Pepsi max so much - I carried on drinking it.
Does anyone think this or diet drinks raise their blood sugar.
When you do the 2 hr post meal testing - do you drink anything in those 2 hours? Or just water?
Thanks. Su. X

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
I drink lots of Pepsi max. Loads. I started drinking it 27 years ago when diagnosed with GD. Then when my son was born and it went, I loved Pepsi max so much - I carried on drinking it.
When you do the 2 hr post meal testing - do you drink anything in those 2 hours? Or just water?
Thanks. Su. X
Hi I drink Pepsi max and 7up sugar free it doesn’t effect my bloods

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
Thanks. Su. X
Robinsons juice is zero to x

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Thanks. Su. X
Most artificial sweeteners don't raise BG, but for some people some of them do. I've never seen an explanation as to why this is.

Reactions: lucylocket61

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Beware of diet drinks. I too drank lots over 25+ years (sometimes 2 litres a day)

I developed fatty liver and insulin resistance which made me gain weight. I read a book about Syndrome X which said that diet drinks caused this. It took me a very long time to kick the habit completely as they were so addictive.

Most folk think if their BGs are OK then there's no harm being done. That wasn't true in my case.

I am sure the occasional diet drink is fine, trouble is when I had one I always wanted another.

I am now waiting for the usual barrage of replies quoting studies that say what I have written is untrue, nevertheless it's what happened to me. Diet drinks made me gain weight and eventually become T2

Reactions: Fenn

Buster_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I drink plenty of diet fizzy drinks, Pepsi Max included. They do seem to be associated with poor health and it's my intention to give them up entirely at some point in the next year or two. I've currently got bigger fish to fry though, so I'll stay focussed on pushing my HbA1c into the 30's and losing more weight for now.

I drink them with my evening meal and they don't seem to stop my BG level promptly dropping back down into a healthy range.

Last edited:
Reactions: SuNuman

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Su. X
I didn't start with diet coke until I was diagnosed. No idea what it did to my blood sugars, as I only tested foods and seemed fine with diet drinks off the top of my head, but I do know for certain what it did to my intestines. (Sorry if TMI). Most artificial sweeteners are toxic to gut bacteria, and you don't want them to die off en-masse. You need those. I had my Coke Zero, and lots and lots of tea with about 5 sweeteners per mug/cup. Same amount went into my espresso. And it was agony. Took me so long to figure out what went wrong.... It got bloody too, and it took my insides forever to heal... Actually, I'm not sure they're done healing yet, (we're talking about 3 years or so down the road now) and there's permanent scarring. So if you can stick to partaking in moderation, and if you don't get issues you can't blame on metformin bowel-wise, and your blood sugars are fine... You should be okay. Just don't go overboard with the stuff. There's even more than non-alcoholic fatty liver and blood sugar fluctuations to consider.

These days I only drink chilled flat water and decaf Nespresso, no sweeteners whatsoever. And I don't even miss them. Just took some getting used to. ;)

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Most artificial sweeteners don't raise BG, but for some people some of them do. I've never seen an explanation as to why this is.
I just cut it from my breakfast. See my thread - and I’m hitting 10.4 so no it wasn’t that lol. Thanks for your reply. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I didn't start with diet coke until I was diagnosed. No idea what it did to my blood sugars, as I only tested foods and seemed fine with diet drinks off the top of my head, but I do know for certain what it did to my intestines. (Sorry if TMI). Most artificial sweeteners are toxic to gut bacteria, and you don't want them to die off en-masse. You need those. I had my Coke Zero, and lots and lots of tea with about 5 sweeteners per mug/cup. Same amount went into my espresso. And it was agony. Took me so long to figure out what went wrong.... It got bloody too, and it took my insides forever to heal... Actually, I'm not sure they're done healing yet, (we're talking about 3 years or so down the road now) and there's permanent scarring. So if you can stick to partaking in moderation, and if you don't get issues you can't blame on metformin bowel-wise, and your blood sugars are fine... You should be okay. Just don't go overboard with the stuff. There's even more than non-alcoholic fatty liver and blood sugar fluctuations to consider.

These days I only drink chilled flat water and decaf Nespresso, no sweeteners whatsoever. And I don't even miss them. Just took some getting used to. ;)

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Ooo. I want to b able to drink water but not keen. Are there any safe cordials we can use? Well done you. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Beware of diet drinks. I too drank lots over 25+ years (sometimes 2 litres a day)

I developed fatty liver and insulin resistance which made me gain weight. I read a book about Syndrome X which said that diet drinks caused this. It took me a very long time to kick the habit completely as they were so addictive.

Most folk think if their BGs are OK then there's no harm being done. That wasn't true in my case.

I am sure the occasional diet drink is fine, trouble is when I had one I always wanted another.

I am now waiting for the usual barrage of replies quoting studies that say what I have written is untrue, nevertheless it's what happened to me. Diet drinks made me gain weight and eventually become T2

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
No one drinks as much as me. I even bought a soda stream bottle so I could take it to work. I hate water thou and I kno I will just not drink. Tea I cannot stand without sugar. Hats off to you that you did it. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I drink plenty of diet fizzy drinks, Pepsi Max included. They do seem to be associated with poor health and it's my intention to give them up entirely at some point in the next year or two. I've currently got bigger fish to fry though, so I'll stay focussed on pushing my HbA1c into the 30's and losing more weight for now.

I drink them with my evening meal and they don't seem to stop my BG level promptly dropping back down into a healthy range.
Thank you. X

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No one drinks as much as me. I even bought a soda stream bottle so I could take it to work. I hate water thou and I kno I will just not drink. Tea I cannot stand without sugar. Hats off to you that you did it. X
Try sparkling mineral water, maybe with just a splash of lime cordial to start with. It was the fizz I needed.
Yes tea without sugar or sweetener tasted like poison to me, but only for a couple of weeks. Now I prefer it unsweetened.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Try sparkling mineral water, maybe with just a splash of lime cordial to start with. It was the fizz I needed.
Yes tea without sugar or sweetener tasted like poison to me, but only for a couple of weeks. Now I prefer it unsweetened.
Thank you. X

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some people find that caffeine can raise their blood sugars.
A large amount of Pepsi Max contains a large amount of caffeine which could be affecting blood sugars.

Personally, I drink soda rarely and avoid caffeine unless I need a kick. If I have a small glass of diet coke at 6pm, I can still be bussing at 2am.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tea I cannot stand without sugar.
It took me a while to like tea without sugar. I gradually put less and less in my tea, just about an eighth of a teaspoon less each time for a week, until I eventually stopped altogether.

This is a marathon, not a race and it takes time for our taste buds and bodies to adapt to our new ways of eating and drinking.

Reactions: In Response

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Caffeine can be problematic for anyone, not just diabetics, and there is a lot of caffeine in Pepsi Max and similar drinks. It can raise blood sugars but also raises our heart beats and blood pressure leading to all sorts of problems. I gave up caffeine years ago, long before I was diabetic. I stick to decaffeinated coffee and tea, but most of all water.

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooo. I want to b able to drink water but not keen. Are there any safe cordials we can use? Well done you. X
I think most cordials are fine as long as no sugar. I have Robinsons which is zero pretty much

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No idea, brands differ between our countries. But I was a fiend for sparkling water before that became a problem too. (Un-related to T2!).