Gastric sleeve surgery

Chrisjfrench

Hi guys I’m 36. 17st hba1c of 63. Bmi is 37I’ve had 3 heart attacks and have been on a sensible diet since diagnosed. Each time my hba1c goes up. I exercise daily and the weight won’t shift. Do I hit the requirements for being put forward?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys I’m 36. 17st hba1c of 63. Bmi is 37I’ve had 3 heart attacks and have been on a sensible diet since diagnosed. Each time my hba1c goes up. I exercise daily and the weight won’t shift. Do I hit the requirements for being put forward?
What do you mean by a sensible diet? I find the diets recommended by the medical people are too high in carbs for my blood sugar levels to improve. What do you eat a day?

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I had great success with low carb, over 130kg to 92kg, You should consider adjustments to your diet first and see if it works. When I started I kept carbs under 20 grams per day.

Reactions: DM123@

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like you have been mostly attempting the conventional diet advice, which is really not suitable for those with T2. If I was in your position (well, barring the heart disease, I absolutely was) I would change to a very low carb diet first. I went keto and lost over 4 stone in 6 months without counting calories, you could well experience the same type of result.

It is not an easy option at first but it quickly becomes normal and I feel much better in almost every single way you can imagine. I know someone who had bariatric surgery and although they lost weight, they did not address their appalling diet and poor relationship with food. They just ended up eating the same stuff in small doses, and ruined their natural enjoyment of meals for ever. Not something I personally would contemplate without exhausting other options first.

However if you are determined then you need to ask your GP if s/he thinks you are suitable candidate.

Chrisjfrench

I tried the keto diet. It wasn’t for me I did The Cambridge diet I lost half a stone then didn’t loose no more. It’s like when I eat a meal I get full. Without fluids. Then an hour later I need to eat again as im hungry. Even more so since I became diabetic.

I think at some point I will speak to my gp and see what my options are.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Do you really understand what is happening to you?
T2 diabetes is a condition that is higher than normal blood glucose range.
The way it works over time, is you without knowing are persistently causing harm to your digestive system. And this effects your hormonal response and your organs.
Inflammation is the result, and inflammation causes a lot more problems.
Then you begin to get insulin resistance and this means you need more insulin to deal with not enough for the glucose derived from the intake of food.
Because the excess insulin doesn't do its job because of the insulin resistance, you will find that the amount of insulin circulating is detrimental to your health and increasing your blood glucose levels up slowly but surely. This will turn in time to weight gain in some cases.
Most of your hormonal response changes in time and because your body cannot cope with these changes and because you are doing what is recommended for your meals you are creating a viscous circle going upwards to higher and higher blood glucose levels. More excess insulin and other factors take effect.
This circle will not stop going higher until you take control of your blood glucose levels. This means reducing your carbs and sugar intake, reducing your portion size, Do more walking, and if you reduce your carbs enough, you can reverse the cycle.

My own personal experience, I was eating recommended carbs by my medical care team, for over a decade and I had a fatty liver, problems with weight and suffering symptoms like brain fog and anxiety.
I have what is called carb intolerance and my hormones were all over the place. I had hyperinsulinaemia (too much insulin) and continued to put weight on despite not eating much.
After diagnosis, I researched the web, and found this site, I was nearly eighteen stone, and not in good health. I changed my lifestyle and my diet.
I stopped putting weight on, I became more clear minded, my health slowly improved, and the symptoms eased.
I went through a lot of tests and after all that, my weight dropped off, I after a few months, lost nearly six stone and my health improved so much.
I was diagnosed with my condition in 2012/13.
I had a cat scan and full blood panel in hospital recently
The result.
Other than wear and tear, my body is free of any problems, nothing showed up and my blood levels Hba1c were 37, my blood was clear.
My doctors in hospital couldn't believe that I was so healthy after everything I had gone through.
If I hadn't have changed my life, I would not be writing this.
I'm 66 and mobile, I did work, but have now retired.

It's carbs and sugar that mostly cause metabolic conditions. Getting your dietary balance right is so important, getting control of your blood glucose levels is as important, improving your health is what everyone should be doing..

Please do take care of yourself.

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Slim fast shake for breakfast. Ham cob whole meal. Lo fat yogurt. And for yea usually chicken salad a little rice and sometimes chips.

Hi, I can see you're trying hard with the diet. But there are many carbohydrates there:

The slim fast shake contains 38g of carbs
The cob is carbs
The low-fat yoghurt has more carbs in than the full-fat yoghurt.
The rice is carbs.
The chips are carb central.

This not a diabetic diet. It is just the NHS's standard advice to eat less fat, which often amounts to eating more carbs.

Last edited:

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried the keto diet. It wasn’t for me I did The Cambridge diet I lost half a stone then didn’t loose no more. It’s like when I eat a meal I get full. Without fluids. Then an hour later I need to eat again as im hungry. Even more so since I became diabetic.

I think at some point I will speak to my gp and see what my options are.

The keto diet would have controlled your blood sugars better. I myself am also struggling with the idea that I will be on a near-keto diet for life.

Last edited: