Low carb ,low calorie pizza base

DisFanJen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, not sure if to post this in low carb or low calorie but I think we'll try here first.

So to help control my diabetes I'm on low carb and low calorie to lose the weight.

It's going well but I have a real hankering for pizza.

I'm not a fan of any of the riced cauliflower bases, and a recipe for an almond flour base is a huge amount of calories (ok on a rare cheat day but I'm looking for an every day pizza base).

Anyone know of a good base (either bought or recipe) that's good on both carbs and calories?

TrevA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I saw a YouTube video for a cloud bread pizza - basically just beaten egg whites with a little bit of cornflour, so reasonably low carb (I think it was 13g of carbs for the whole pizza) and low calorie.

cheesedream

I use BFree Protein Wraps as a pizza base. They are quite thin so I sandwich two together with a little bit of extra sauce to stick them together. It is more a pizza to eat with a knife and fork rather than picking up a slice, but it hits the spot for me. I get them from Sainsbury's. They are 4g of carbs per wrap and I think 100 cal.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've tried carbzone wraps - not too bad if you fry the bottom first to get it crispy
I recently bought a small pizza on special, cooked it with extra veg and cheese on top then scraped all the toping onto a 1/6 of the base! More carbs than usual but only slightly.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think there is more to a decent pizza than being round and flat. Using something other than dough as a base means it is not actually a pizza, the fat head ones are really frittatas or something similar. I have never been a fan of UK style pizzas, especially the abominations like a chicken tikka pizza or a full English breakfast pizza but with Italian ones it was the dough base that was the highlight. If you like pizzas but can't eat bread Why not just have the topping in a bowl or a plate. If it has cheese, tomato sauce and oregano it is going to be a taste pizza like. Aubergine Parmigiana, or something like that, is surely better than a pizza with a poor dough substitute.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A low cal and low carb pizza may be possible but I feel it is unlikely it will taste nice.
Instead of the ersatz stuff (caulif/low carb breads) why not skip breakfast and lunch and have the real thing? As it has a fatty topping it will be absorbed slowly carb wise. Adjust basal dose or cancel normal bolus dosess obviously..
Or grab some sawdust and mix it up with some very low fat yoghurt then bake.....low carb low cal.
IMO low carb should help you lose weight as well as lower your insulin/bg levels but that's another discussion!

DisFanJen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, quick update on this one.

I actually found no dough Pizzas at Sainburys.

Half the pizza is around 30g of carbs and a 242 calories, made from pretty healthy ingredients, and vegan! It hits all the good points.

I'm low carb rather than keto (I have around 90 - 100g carbs a day), so half the pizza plus some sides is perfect.

Had it this evening and it tasted great. Ate half the pizza with some sides, and started at a BG of 5.5 and am now 6.1 which is pretty perfect as I drop 0.8 to 1.0 overnight meaning I'm at a nice low 5 in the morning.

Though as an aside, Skinny Food Co. Garlic Mayo. Don't, just don't *shudder*

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven’t tried it but how about this?

https://lodough.co/products/lo-dough
I have made pizzas with this before - they make nice thin crust pizzas - I load them with toppings. I have also made a pizza base using eggs & mozzarella cheese mixed together then fried in the frying pan which made an omlette type base, I then let it cool down and added the toppings and grilled under the grill - lovely if you like a cheesy base - I do