Can't get a good massage

juliekem

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I use insulin and am lucky enough to have a Libre 2 device which means that I have a round sensor on my upper arm. The problem is that it is now obvious that I am diabetic and now I cannot get a decent massage because they have been taught at college that diabetics "bruise easily" so today I spent £20 have my head lightly stroked - it worked out at £1 a minute. I have had "head in the clouds" massage before (without admitting I am a diabetic) so I know what it should be.
I am so disappointed, this was a treat that I was really looking forward to (oh dear bad grammar there.)
I do not bruise after a massage and I have had deep tissue massage in the past.
Has anyone else found this problem? How can I get round it?
What percentage of diabetics get a bruising problem from massage anyway?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Never heard about the bruises before .

You could time your massages for the day the sensor runs out, then put a new one on once you’ve had it, surely one massage a fortnight would be enough?

Only ever had one massage, lovely it was but turned out to be my new neighbour, never really got over the embarrassment, dunno why, I’m sure she didn’t care.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I bruise easily but have never had a bruise from deep tissue massage. Hmm I would probably go a day without a sensor and keep quiet about being diabetic?

I get quite cross about all these 'can't do this because you're diabetic rules'.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You could time your massages for the day the sensor runs out, then put a new one on once you’ve had it, surely one massage a fortnight would be enough?

Only ever had one massage, lovely it was but turned out to be my new neighbour, never really got over the embarrassment, dunno why, I’m sure she didn’t care.
Snap! You beat me to it!

juliekem

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin

Yes I had thought of this, but I find it ridiculous that I have to lie about it. Where did these college lecturers get this idea?

juliekem

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin

I have a massage about twice a year, lol. Just frustrated at the misinformation. Have to lie when my daughter and I go for a short break at a spa (when there's an offer on , of course.)

Reactions: zand

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
While your changing the syllabus at masseuse school, could you have a look at what doctors are taught about diabetes too please :)

• Agree
Reactions: TriciaWs

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Book it for the day you change sensors. They simply won't do it otherwise.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I had thought of this, but I find it ridiculous that I have to lie about it. Where did these college lecturers get this idea?

I think it's written in the small print on just about every treatment there ever was! Hot tub?, nope. Massage?, nope. Gym?, Drs note, and on and on and on. x

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had many deep tissue massages since my diabetes diagnosis. Only very deep tissue have caused bruising but that had nothing to do with my diabetes - my non diabetic friends also experienced bruising.

I have always told them that I want a massage rather than a stroke and highlighted areas that need more manipulation due to sport’s injury.
I have had some pretty deep massage from a physio who was not concerned by my diabetes.

Maybe highlighting that my diabetes is well managed helps.

Reactions: KK123 and zand

markforest5

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I use insulin and am lucky enough to have a Libre 2 device which means that I have a round sensor on my upper arm. The problem is that it is now obvious that I am diabetic and now I cannot get a decent massage because they have been taught at college that diabetics "bruise easily" so today I spent £20 have my head lightly stroked - it worked out at £1 a minute. I have had "head in the clouds" massage before (without admitting I am a diabetic) so I know what it should be.
I am so disappointed, this was a treat that I was really looking forward to (oh dear bad grammar there.)
Has anyone else found this problem? How can I get round it

I don’t usually tell the masseuse what my sensor is for, nether do I tell them I’m a diabetic. I put a large round plaster on my sensor and tell them to work around it and it works every time. I think that they are just being extra cautious. Enjoy your massages as they should be. They are a wonderful stress reliever which all helps with our condition.
I have just returned from Forest Mere and had no problems.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has anyone else found this problem? How can I get round it?
If you declare your diabetes and you've signed the form just use it as an opportunity to educate the therapist. A massage is not contraindicated but they may have been taught to be cautious about skin and about heat (speeds up the action of insulin). Or possibly they were nervous about dislodging it.
Or book the massage to be at the end of the 14 days and remove for a couple of hours before you start the next one up.
I've never been denied a massage so I wonder if you just had an over keen newbie?
Alternatively you can say it is a) an HRT patch b)a nicotene c) a special plaster following your vaccine
All things people have guessed at re my FSL! I now have a dexcom which you can wear on your stomach.