Diet drinks.

Caprock94

I drink way too much Coke Zero and Diet Dr Pepper. I'm guessing it isn't healthy and I need to cut back.....but they don't raise blood sugar.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
There was a recent meta analysis that debunked the whole gut health thing. I also read some more about some of the artificial sweeteners. How some just break down into amino acids. So you’re just as likely to get cancer from aspartame than from eating a steak.

I don’t drink a whole lot of it, but I’ll certainly drink one if I’m eating outside. At home, I drink lemon water

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting, I tend to have a diet coke/max with my evening meal, I also have a pint of robinsons squash or asda equivalent with ice, I am lucky enough to really like the taste of water, tap or bottle is all good, I drink a lot of coffee at work, I sleep terrible so interesting to read about the coke potentially causing problems, maybe ill cut it out. you never know who you may help when asking questions OP :)

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink a modest amount of zero sugar drinks and a fair amount of caffeine. None of this affects my BG and it appears to have no impact on anything else either. You can check the impact on BG by testing and, as with anything else, if your system cannot tolerate a particular food or part of a food, don't consume it unless you are prepared for the consequences.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As with so many things, we are all different. Using our meters to test how we personally respond is a good way forward, I find

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Then there's the school of thought that any sweet taste, even that from non bg raising sweetners, keeps us wanting and craving more sweet so it gets harder to say no to it, and hence carbs start creeping back in again.
If the mouth is used to sweet, then sweet it what it wants.

I've been very surprised how easily I have lost my sweet tooth. The family laugh at me when I exclaim "oh that's so sweet" at anything from pasta sauce to salad dressing to even some cheeses.
I can still like the odd mouthful of a true sweet such as a dessert or piece of fruit, but can no longer tolerate even a hint of sweetness in something meant to be savoury

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
there's the school of thought that any sweet taste, even that from non bg raising sweetners, keeps us wanting and craving more sweet so it gets harder to say no to it, and hence carbs start creeping back in again.
This is an excellent point, in my humble opinion, and one rarely mentioned.

In my case, anything sweet tasting sets the carb craving off.

APACJoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. A kind member has advised me to begin a thread on this.
I drink lots of Pepsi max. Loads. I started drinking it 27 years ago when diagnosed with GD. Then when my son was born and it went, I loved Pepsi max so much - I carried on drinking it.
Does anyone think this or diet drinks raise their blood sugar.
When you do the 2 hr post meal testing - do you drink anything in those 2 hours? Or just water?
Thanks. Su. X

Strangely, Vimto Diet juice makes my BG rise, whereas any other ‘sugar free’ doesn’t.

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've found a brand of flavoured fizzy water that I like, fizzy water and fruit flavour but no sugars, sweeteners or calories. It's called Dash, and comes in several flavours: https://dash-water.com/

I went cold turkey on diet drinks many years ago when I was horrified at the number of Diet Coke bottles I generated in a week. I swapped it for fizzy water and black coffee (NOT in the same vessel!) which dealt with both the 'fizzy' and 'caffeine' parts of the equation. I'm lucky in that I've never really liked sweet drinks very much.

The only downside (which isn't very down really) is that now I can't tolerate the taste of most artificial sweeteners,when I had the Diet Coke habit I didn't notice them, now I really do.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've found a brand of flavoured fizzy water that I like, fizzy water and fruit flavour but no sugars, sweeteners or calories. It's called Dash, and comes in several flavours: https://dash-water.com/

I went cold turkey on diet drinks many years ago when I was horrified at the number of Diet Coke bottles I generated in a week. I swapped it for fizzy water and black coffee (NOT in the same vessel!) which dealt with both the 'fizzy' and 'caffeine' parts of the equation. I'm lucky in that I've never really liked sweet drinks very much.

The only downside (which isn't very down really) is that now I can't tolerate the taste of most artificial sweeteners,when I had the Diet Coke habit I didn't notice them, now I really do.
Thanks for posting this. I haven't looked at flavoured water drinks for years as most of them back then had some kind of 'nasty' ingredient in them. I will have a look at these next time I shop. :)

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for posting this. I haven't looked at flavoured water drinks for years as most of them back then had some kind of 'nasty' ingredient in them. I will have a look at these next time I shop. :)

There are some other brands around as well, I've had the same sort of thing from Sainsbury, but Dash is the brand name I remember.

Dollylolly

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The docs thinking drugs cure all
I used to drink this by the gallon and I mean the gallon

I got fat on it as it’s addictive and I craved carbs after and during drinking it.

so for me I went cold turkey haven’t touched it in 16/17 weeks now, but only had 2 a fortnight ago and boy did I pay for it with a gallbladder flare up as it’s the only thing I had different.

so that put me right off and haven’t touched it at all.

it never raised the sugars either.

mummymerle

Hi all. A kind member has advised me to begin a thread on this.
I drink lots of Pepsi max. Loads. I started drinking it 27 years ago when diagnosed with GD. Then when my son was born and it went, I loved Pepsi max so much - I carried on drinking it.
Does anyone think this or diet drinks raise their blood sugar.
When you do the 2 hr post meal testing - do you drink anything in those 2 hours? Or just water?
Thanks. Su. X
I also drink Pepsi Max all of them best drink doesn't have that sweetener taste. It maybe bloating me out though !

simo_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've found soda water with lime juice or low sugar squash to be good for me. No effect on blood sugar that I've been able to detect, and has replaced the orange juice and lemonade that I used to have.