Type 2 Liquid Metformin

pluto1a

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My LD Son has a swallow problem and cannot take the large Metformin Tablets, so for quite a few years now has been taking Metformin Hydrochloride 500mg/5ml Oral Solution. This has been out of manufacture for quite a few weeks now and I have been told by the Nurse at our surgery that I could break or crush Metformin tablet. I have been told in the past by a Pharmacist that this tablet cannot be broken or crushed, so don't know what to do now. Does anyone know whether these tablets can be broken or crushed please? I would be grateful for a quick reply as I only have 10 days left of the Liquid Metformin.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not an expert but I suspect plain non-SR metformin can be split. The SR version possibly not.

pluto1a

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm not an expert but I suspect plain non-SR metformin can be split. The SR version possibly not.
Many thanks for replying so promptly. I have just phoned the Pharmacy and have now been told that I can do as you have so kindly told me.

phill_t

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It sounds like your gp is making cutbacks by not giving you the liquid Metformin I've been taking it for years and it's still being prescribed to me monthly

Reactions: pluto1a

mikeprior59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Anything that is modified or slow release cannot be crushed as it is designed to pass through the stomach unaffected. Crushing these tablets would negate the effect. Standard metformin can be crushed.

suzyq49

My LD Son has a swallow problem and cannot take the large Metformin Tablets, so for quite a few years now has been taking Metformin Hydrochloride 500mg/5ml Oral Solution. This has been out of manufacture for quite a few weeks now and I have been told by the Nurse at our surgery that I could break or crush Metformin tablet. I have been told in the past by a Pharmacist that this tablet cannot be broken or crushed, so don't know what to do now. Does anyone know whether these tablets can be broken or crushed please? I would be grateful for a quick reply as I only have 10 days left of the Liquid Metformin.
Hi, I have same problem swallowing tablets and was crushing tablets for years until my pharmacist said it ruined the effect of the tablet as it had a type of time release when swallowed whole, so was ineffective when crushed. I then spoke to my GP who kindly prescribed the liquid and have never looked back. I am still getting monthly prescriptions with no messages regarding no longer manufacturing.. Hope this helps a little, good luck

pluto1a

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It sounds like your gp is making cutbacks by not giving you the liquid Metformin I've been taking it for years and it's still being prescribed to me monthly
You may find that it is unavailable soon as it all depends how much stock your pharmacy has. I phoned Rosemont Pharmacies yesterday and they told me it was because of a recall on the liquid, but that they are hopeful that it will be in stock again soon.

pluto1a

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Anything that is modified or slow release cannot be crushed as it is designed to pass through the stomach unaffected. Crushing these tablets would negate the effect. Standard metformin can be crushed.
As I was also told this by my Pharmacist, I am grateful for your reply mikeprior59.

pluto1a

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I have same problem swallowing tablets and was crushing tablets for years until my pharmacist said it ruined the effect of the tablet as it had a type of time release when swallowed whole, so was ineffective when crushed. I then spoke to my GP who kindly prescribed the liquid and have never looked back. I am still getting monthly prescriptions with no messages regarding no longer manufacturing.. Hope this helps a little, good luck
Thanks for your reply suzyq49. It is supposed to be coming back into stock again soon.

Brummieboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I also have some difficulty in swallowing large tablets, and following a review with my regular pharmacy, they have been prescribing me Metformin in caplet form for some time. It doesn't solve your problem, but they are a lot easier to swallow. I wasn't aware that you could get Metformin in liquid form.

X-entricity

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read that has some been withdrawn as it may contain cancerous ingredients. It will therefore not be prescribed and in very short supply. Not the GPs at all.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP wont let me have liquid metformin, despite me not being able to swallow the huge tablets. She says it is too expensive.

pluto1a

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I also have some difficulty in swallowing large tablets, and following a review with my regular pharmacy, they have been prescribing me Metformin in caplet form for some time. It doesn't solve your problem, but they are a lot easier to swallow. I wasn't aware that you could get Metformin in liquid form.
Brummieboy, Thank you for letting me know about the Metformin in caplet form. It is something else to consider if all else fails.

pluto1a

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I read that has some been withdrawn as it may contain cancerous ingredients. It will therefore not be prescribed and in very short supply. Not the GPs at all.
I have been informed by a member of a Thyroid group that the Oral Solution has had a Class 2 Medicines Recall issued on 25 August 2021. Thank you for your confirmation of this X-entricity.

pluto1a

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My GP wont let me have liquid metformin, despite me not being able to swallow the huge tablets. She says it is too expensive.
So sorry to hear this lucylocket61. Perhaps you could ask for the Oral Solution if it comes back, or the caplets as someone else has mentioned.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry to hear this lucylocket61. Perhaps you could ask for the Oral Solution if it comes back, or the caplets as someone else has mentioned.
As i said, my GP wont prescribe it to me as its too expensive, apparently. Nothing to do with shortages.

Nicknackwack

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been informed by a member of a Thyroid group that the Oral Solution has had a Class 2 Medicines Recall issued on 25 August 2021. Thank you for your confirmation of this X-entricity.
I had a consultation this morning and was informed that the liquid form had been pulled because of suspect cancer inducing risk ! The tablet form is under review in the U.K.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I had a consultation this morning and was informed that the liquid form had been pulled because of suspect cancer inducing risk ! The tablet form is under review in the U.K.
What if this hadn't been found for another 10 years or so, scary.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There appears to be nothing on the web or in the news about this. There was a contamination scare 2 years ago. Can people share reputable links about this risk from Metformin please?

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
There appears to be nothing on the web or in the news about this. There was a contamination scare 2 years ago. Can people share reputable links about this risk from Metformin please?
@lucylocket61 Why not check on MIMS.co.uk They first brought this to our attention a week or two ago. MIMS are the foremost pharmaceutical, preceding BNF. The are heavily into education. Of course, you may run into problems with access unless you create an account.
MIMS.co.uk

Late edit: MIMS drug shortage tracker shows conclusively there is a shortage at Rosemont. I hope this de-escalates any anxiety felt by posters who've been led to believe otherwise.

Last edited: