Sleep Issues - Is Metformin the problem?

JamieKershaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi There,

I’ve been on Metformin since April2021.

The last 12 months have also been pretty stressful, with the death of my mum, some ongoing family issues to deal with and health problems (which I’ve never had before). Consequently I’ve experienced some high levels of stress and anxiety.

My HBA1C levels reached an all time high of 76 in February/March 21. Subsequent tests showed 63 and 48.

I’ve been having problems with sleep for the past 4-5 months. I have no problem falling asleep. The issue relates to waking at around 3.00am every night and struggling to get back to sleep again.

I’ve read that Metformin can cause sleep problems.

Has anyone experienced this with Metformin and if so, how did you correct this situation?

Or is this more associated with poor blood-sugar control? My last HBA1C reading was 48, so levels have come down.

Any feedback would be interesting

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi There,

The last 12 months have also been pretty stressful, with the death of my mum, some ongoing family issues to deal with and health problems (which I’ve never had before). Consequently I’ve experienced some high levels of stress and anxiety.

My HBA1C levels reached an all time high of 76 in February/March 21. Subsequent tests showed 63 and 48.

I’ve been having problems with sleep for the past 4-5 months. I have no problem falling asleep. The issue relates to waking at around 3.00am every night and struggling to get back to sleep again.

Has anyone experienced this with Metformin and if so, how did you correct this situation?

Or is this more associated with poor blood-sugar control? My last HBA1C reading was 48, so levels have come down.

Ionically I fall asleep as soon as my head touches the pillow AND wake at around 3am just as you do! But I find that if I pull back the curtain and open the window to feel the fresh air on my face then I fall back to sleep again within about 20 minutes or so. I never get stressed about it. I just lie back and breathe in the fresh air

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, sorry for your loss :( losing your Mum is hugely stressful and could easily cause all sorts of issues.

I also wake up at 1, 2, 3 etc, I’ve suffered with bad sleep forever, just started a cpap mask for sleep apnea, it is apparently super common but people don’t know they have it, I sure didn’t until a recent hospital stay, if you are a snorer it’s a possibility, the over night test is done in your own bed, is painless and free of course, may be worth a google to see if you have any symptoms.

I have never personally read anything about metformin causing bad sleep but it wouldn’t surprise me, I hope you get some answers, best of luck.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Hi There,

You've certainly had a rough time. The description of your sleeping pattern is found quite often in people with depression. Have you considered this? If not, may be you'd benefit from a discussion with your GP. I have failed to be convinced it's strongly due to metformin from my reading however. I wish you well my friend.

JamieKershaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Coby,

Thanks for your feedback.

Do you feel your waking up at 3am is due to medication, poor blood sugar control or depression due to having to deal with diabetes etc?

Thanks

Jamie

JamieKershaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You've certainly had a rough time. The description of your sleeping pattern is found quite often in people with depression. Have you considered this? If not, may be you'd benefit from a discussion with your GP. I have failed to be convinced it's strongly due to metformin from my reading however. I wish you well my friend.

JamieKershaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, sorry for your loss :( losing your Mum is hugely stressful and could easily cause all sorts of issues.

I also wake up at 1, 2, 3 etc, I’ve suffered with bad sleep forever, just started a cpap mask for sleep apnea, it is apparently super common but people don’t know they have it, I sure didn’t until a recent hospital stay, if you are a snorer it’s a possibility, the over night test is done in your own bed, is painless and free of course, may be worth a google to see if you have any symptoms.

I have never personally read anything about metformin causing bad sleep but it wouldn’t surprise me, I hope you get some answers, best of luck.