New test results in..

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Ryhia, it's to know for sure what to do these days, but you are trying your best and I also have been doing more chicken (I love baked thighs with skin and bone in) and I always have a bag of avocados. Sometimes I just cut a couple (they are small ones) and eat them with my chicken or salmon. Thanks to a little "outlet" market, we almost always have Wildcaught Alaskan Salmon ). I don't have a lot of variety of foods, no fancy recipes, and I look at it more as a have-to thing, or fuel. Not that I don't add a few spices here and there ;)

Did you mean CAT scan, or is there a CAC scan now too ? There are some tests not given anywhere in my town, or some my insurance won't cover but I'll look it up online :) Thanks again, Denise

Here's a quote from the Mayo clinic: "A heart scan, also known as a coronary calcium scan, is a specialized X-ray test that provides pictures of your heart that can help your doctor detect and measure calcium-containing plaque in the arteries." https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/heart-scan/about/pac-20384686

CAC scans as they are termed in the UK are not routinely offered but there are private clinics where these can be arranged at a price of course. Mostly but not always a referral from a GP is required.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)
Here's a quote from the Mayo clinic: "A heart scan, also known as a coronary calcium scan, is a specialized X-ray test that provides pictures of your heart that can help your doctor detect and measure calcium-containing plaque in the arteries." https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/heart-scan/about/pac-20384686

CAC scans as they are termed in the UK are not routinely offered but there are private clinics where these can be arranged at a price of course. Mostly but not always a referral from a GP is required.
I can check into the CAC scan and see if I'm covered. I am thinking probably not, but I will check. Thanks much for the info, it would be good to know if there is a plaque building up now that I'm getting such a high number for cholesterol. I don't know how much that number actually tells me about plaque build up, or reasons why it's so high. I'm going to go google that now and see what I can find about what the number means on my labs ;)

Jo123

My ldl went up high when I first low carbed, I tucked into cream and cheese with enthusiasm after a lifetime of dieting to keep slim!
I was worried so I upped the oily fish, nuts, avocados, lean chicken breasts, extra virgin oil and cut out the cream, butter, fatty meat and moderated the eggs, full fat yoghurt and cheese.
My ldl went down to level that my doctor and I were happy with.

I appreciate there are other opinions on this but it's what I'm happy with.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @Jo123, do you remember your numbers for LDL, and your total for cholesterol? I eat 2 eggs per day, 1 ounce of Mozarella cheese, Two Good Yogurt, 1/2 cup. The meats I do are chicken, salmon, pork tenderloin, sometimes chops, and ground beef on occasion. I eat 2 small avocados a day as well when I have a bag of them which I try to keep on hand.

Before I was diagnosed with Type 2, my cholesterol was over 348. I did find out later, I was pre-diabetic way back then but wasn't alerted. I ate a lot of healthy foods even then, but after being diagnosed, I started Keto which basically meant no more M&M Caramels, no bread, no grains, no pasta etc. etc. I am strict about my diet, but find it strange now that we are talking about it, the my numbers were high before I started Keto.

I don't eat more eggs than I did, I don't do milk, only Almond milk unsweetened (I add a bit of stevia) and I only use that in my coffee, less than a tbsp. I do 1 oz of cheese, and the Yogurt. I'll check the fat content for those items (for dairy) Thanks much for your info, appreciate it :)

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ok so my cholesterol went up to from 4.7 to 10 mmol/l = 386.6976 mg/dl 0.00 which is near enough to your measures. Currently my total cholesterol is 7.9 mmol/l = 305.49111 mg/dl, LDL 5.5 mmol/l = 212.68368 mg/dl HDL 2.1 mmol/l = 81.2065 mg/dl Trigs 0.6 mmol/l = 53.14438 mg/dl Hope the calculator is accurate. At my original 10.00 mmol/l I was referred to a lipidologist (worst thing I ever agreed to) who reasoned after a few questions but no testing that I had polygenic hypercholesteremia which is a genetic issue. I am not so sure as my cholesterol was relatively ok before starting keto, I think I may be what is termed by Dave Feldman as a "hyper responder", if you have not come across him, he is worth a read as he has done some very interesting research regarding cholesterol. You may also wish to check your numbers with the risk calculator he developed which is found at https://cholesterolcode.com/report.
I had heard Dave Feldman @Ryhia!! I recognized him from the time I listened to Dr. Berg interview him. He's the one that experimented on himself, some extreme stuff but wow, I was amazed about him and am going to listen to another vid this a.m. by him. Thanks so much for bringing him to mind again :) Denise

Reactions: Ryhia

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had heard Dave Feldman @Ryhia!! I recognized him from the time I listened to Dr. Berg interview him. He's the one that experimented on himself, some extreme stuff but wow, I was amazed about him and am going to listen to another vid this a.m. by him. Thanks so much for bringing him to mind again :) Denise
@Rachox thank you for tag I’m posting a link to my back story re previous cholesterol as I’ve had a bit of a roller coaster ride over the years
See
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/my-cholesterol-story.155567/
Since then my current cholesterol this February was 7.5 in total but my mum who is 90 by the way has always had cholesterol at around 6 and statins haven’t suited her so has never managed to stay on them. My dr would like mine to be about 6 given my history but I had highish cholesterol even before going low carb. Like mum I was intolerant to statins dreadful muscle cramps etc. I have been eating in a low carb but high protein lower fat way as suggested by Ted Naiman PE diet and diet dr - Will see what next years result is and see if it brings it down more but I’ve become used to it being high. Interestingly when at 13 cholesterol I was incredibly energetic!
Good luck Denise hope you find a way to manage or be happy with your cholesterol scores.

Reactions: Rachox

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Rachox thank you for tag I’m posting a link to my back story re previous cholesterol as I’ve had a bit of a roller coaster ride over the years
See
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/my-cholesterol-story.155567/
Since then my current cholesterol this February was 7.5 in total but my mum who is 90 by the way has always had cholesterol at around 6 and statins haven’t suited her so has never managed to stay on them. My dr would like mine to be about 6 given my history but I had highish cholesterol even before going low carb. Like mum I was intolerant to statins dreadful muscle cramps etc. I have been eating in a low carb but high protein lower fat way as suggested by Ted Naiman PE diet and diet dr - Will see what next years result is and see if it brings it down more but I’ve become used to it being high. Interestingly when at 13 cholesterol I was incredibly energetic!
Good luck Denise hope you find a way to manage or be happy with your cholesterol scores.
Thank you Shelley! I will go and take a look at the link as well! I know I can figure this out with everyone's help you all have given me. I started the day out with changing out butter for Olive Oil, and I'll make a few more adjustments to lower the other 2 dairy products I use, I guess just one, the yogurt with it's 2 grams of sugar. I love it but I have to try some different things ;)

Reactions: shelley262

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Taking on some new habits this a.m. No dairy, and starting to do a walk a day on my own so I can pick up the pace a bit. I walk my little dog and we are out about 5 times (not an actual walk usually) but we are stopping constantly for her to read her "p-mail". I've been lazy for months now and was, before that, walking 2 miles a day.

Hardest part will be if my cholesterol goes down by dropping dairy, then I will so miss my cheese and yogurt. I'm not sure about any of this but the exercise. Yesterday I read some conflicting info on the Crossfit website. I think that's where I read it, but it said "include dairy", and then it also mentioned eat just meats, vegies, nuts, seeds. I guess it really boils down to my body and what will work for me. Input more than welcome ;)

PS I also need to start logging again at myfitnesspal to watch my numbers there on any cholesterol I might eat, as well as getting enough protein, fats, and low carbs to stay in Keto.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I now have the best lipid ratios that I have ever had (on Low Carb with high Protein and substantial Saturated Fat).
So I'm no longer on Statins and I'm relaxed about my Total Cholesterol and LDL numbers being high.
In UK figures they are Total Chol 7.7, HDL 2.17, LDL 5.02, Triglycerides 1.13
Before LCHF and while still on Statins they were: Total Chol 3.6 HDL 1.2 , LDL 1.9, Triglycerides 1.93

Total Cholesterol means nothing and an LDL Cholesterol number tells you nothing about whether it is healthy LDL (vital for life since it helps brain, immune system and hormones) or unhealthy oxidised or glycated LDL.

Brettskee

Hi was just scrolling through some threads just to see if anyone else had high lipids my cholesterol in April was 26.4 and triglycerides 62.6 at time bgs were in the high 20s I do have hyperlipedemia on max statins and max cholesterol tabs have been like this for over 3 years cholesterol has dropped to16.9 in the last 2 months trigs come down to 40.3 this I think is because been poorly and not eating much at all lost 2st5lb in 14 weeks bgs still v high still just done them before bed they was 25.8 so thought best not go sleep till they’ve come down a bit