Erectile disfunction in Type 2 Diabetes

Piroshka

I am a 45 year-old type 2 diabetic and I recently had sex for the first time since COVID-19. It took a great deal of cajoling from myself and my partner to achieve a 'banana' level of tumescence.

Like a lot of people, I ate more and exercised less and I upped my sugar intake as my HbA1c was previously always below 6.5. I have noticed, over the past year, that I no longer wake up with an erection, but I assumed that, as my libido is still healthy and that I have been able to exercise at my previous level, this would not be a problem. How wrong I was.

I am cutting down on my sugar intake and I would very much appreciate any advice that you could give as the difference between my virility as a 43 year-old and now is considerable.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
My alarm clock came back with a vengeance after losing weight and exercising. For me, I think it’s was a matter of blood flow. Muscle hypertrophy promotes new blood vessel growth and remodeling. 4-5 months of squats, leg presses, hip thrusts, Adductor/Abductor exercises.

Other options my be medication. But what ever increases blood flow to the area is likely to be beneficial

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums @Piroshka
I appreciate that this is not a topic I can experience personally, but it is a subject that is unfortunately relevant to many male diabetics (of all types). My suggestion would be two-fold.
1) Don't suffer in silence, talk to your doctor
2) If you think that the issue is a diabetic complication, you may find that tightening your blood sugar control will ameliorate your symptoms. Reducing your carbs may well achieve this but you may find it worth buying a meter and testing your blood sugar before and two hours after meals so as see whether your body can tolerate the carbs in a particular meal.

My favourite intro to T2 and low carb diet is @JoKalsbeek 's excellent blog.
JoKalsbeek's blog | Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community

Reactions: OrsonKartt

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a diabetic type 1 Talking about this subject I actually got E. D at like age 21 suddenly did get some blood test some years back and everything was fine so still carnt understand why this happened my control wasnt brilliant but wasn't extremely bad. This disease throws up many surprises

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
along with diabetes it's also not uncommon to have low testosterone which is why you'll often be asked about it in your annual checkup

I was about 43 when diagnosed with hypogonadism

I personally doubt it will improve with better diabetes control.. didn't for me

if you see the GP they can do a testosterone test and if required prescribe testosterone