What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all from early October in Forest Heath. A virus induced 5.9 on Swipey today. I've seen 7s and 8s at times, for the first time in 6 years, for about a week. LC has no impact on bg control and is completely devoid of all* foody comfort but this is the first time in all those years I've had more than 2-3 days of it. Far too long to fast so smile and wave boys, smile and wave. Several Lat flows = negative, temp and SpO2 fine. Grandchildren and families from Suffolk to Southampton have had it (except 3 week old), so did Julie. By God's grace all seven grandchildren and parents here yesterday evening. Perfect queue of 5 for the slide. Three of them are here until Monday. Four of them, 1 set of parents and Julie, off to the seaside today - Gt Yarmouth? - barking mad methinks. Great fbg again @mojo37. Loving all these snapseed projects @gennepher but sympathy for the badger invasion. Chortle at the @dunelm fast food, roadside cafe. Yesterday sounds wonderful for you (cashews are good but moreish) @Krystyna23040 and I'm relieved to hear Mr K was rewarded for his virtue with an equally spiffing SR event. *Super salmon salad day today, best it ever gets. For you and Popeye Genn
Hope you feel better soon ..so many things impact on blood glucose and viruses certainly do .

Reactions: dunelm

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen, busy couple of days here in Tilehurst Towers.
Blood sugars
Yesterday 5.8
Today, an absolute disaster darlings, disaster 4.0 too low to drive for a series of blood tests, A1c and liver function tests this morning.

Up date on Mrs J who is now at the stage where she thinks she can over do things without consequences and me and me's need eyes in the back and top of our head.
One thing Mrs J has excelled in is writing task lists for me, this afternoon I shall be attempting to vacuum the downstairs carpets, but me and me's have no formal or informal qualifications in this task, full supervision will be provided, then me and me's must put some washing on, again full supervision will be provided, if I survive the aforementioned tasks mowing the front lawn is the next task.
It's enough to drive a mere ancient male to an early bed, nite night all.
Wish we could give more than one rating because I would give u a hug for disaster day a 4 reading a winner for 5.8 and a funny for rest of your post :)

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.7 this am ... 2hrs after breakfast yesterday ( 30 ) carbs my bloods were 7.5 then after walk they came down to 4.4 . The 4.4 is a bit low for me I get shaky and ratty etc and yet some folk are fine with that number . I think that I read somewhere it can be because the likes of myself are used to running on high numbers and therefore low 4's etc have an effect.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a promised fair to middling day here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of far too much bolognese came home at 5.7 this am

Busy day yesterday, a bit chilly and blowy but welly boots and wateproofs abound - beach combing, rock pool searching, cairn building, sand writing and drawing. High tide today is 0835 so by 10 we should have some beach. Son and his pal camped along Hadrians Wall last night at Haltwhisle and should be camping this evening somewhere near Silloth on the west coast before catching the train back tomorrow.

Art bit - found a photo of a bristlecone pine for @lindisfel - have a great day, will attempt a catch up later but no promises - koffy.

upload_2021-8-28_7-56-48.jpeg

Reactions: mojo37

lindisfel

Expert
Good morning everyone from a promised fair to middling day here in the dark and dangerous north

Busy day yesterday, a bit chilly and blowy but welly boots and wateproofs abound - beach combing, rock pool searching, cairn building, sand writing and drawing. High tide today is 0835 so by 10 we should have some beach. Son and his pal camped along Hadrians Wall last night at Haltwhisle and should be camping this evening somewhere near Silloth on the west coast before catching the train back tomorrow.

Art bit - found a photo of a bristlecone pine for @lindisfel - have a great day, will attempt a catch up later but no promises - koffy.

View attachment 50960
Excellent.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2 this morning. Had a relaxing day yesterday but still managed to do lots of sorting out of stuff. Hopefully will get lots done today also. It does feel good to have a sort out.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all from Forest Heath where Wickes seem to be mixing the seasons to suit some abstruse colour scheme. That Llewelyn-Bowen clownshoe was working round the corner recently. Coincidence? Ridiculous 5.9 on Swipey if LC and good control were isomorphic - cf levelling up//Brexit bonus/World Class almost everything for a similar relationship to observable reality. Reduced to a soundbite it is nonsense. Great day for you yesterday @dunelm and a sturdy, well observed tree. Another magnificent snapseed transformation @gennepher . Amazing concern for the bee. Thanks for the good wishes for ending #virusgate @geefull (amazing art and fbg as per ma'am) and @mojo37. @Krystyna23040 great day sorting stuff? Now I picture you as some kind of hybrid Marie Kondo and Green Goddess.:angelic: It will shine when it shines guys. Gotta love the Ozark Mountain Daredevils.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Genuine ghurka curry. Very liquid really needs something to mop it up. Gave up and on LC and had small amount of rice, some potatoes with cumin, and a piece of naan bread.
Then Indian sweets, tiny amount, and gulag juman. So much sweet stuff...but she tries hard to please, has remembered I like cream in my coffee and I don't want to upset either auntie or uncle. See far too little of them as it is.
Fun evening with son3 there as well and plenty of wine.
Definitely the only thing that you could do was to give up on LC for that meal - otherwise you would have spoilt a lovely evening.

Reactions: jjraak

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.3

Got stung by a bee yesterday. My hand brushed against the Buddliea branch, and I felt a prick. When I looked at my thumb there was a bumblebee stinging my thumb.
First thought...poor bee, I don't want you to die, you didn't have to sting me.
Second thought...ouch, this blinking hurts...
Third thought...I still didn't want to hurt the bee, so I shook my hand downwards and it fell off, so I went inside, put neat lavender essential oil on it and took an antihistamine for good measure.

I have never in my life been stung by a bee before. I can pick up bees and not get stung. But I must have startled this one by brushing my hand against it, and it thought 'enemy'. I went back out to look for it, but I couldn't find it.

Five minutes later, pain had gone, and I could see a slight indent in my skin where I was stung, but that vanished quickly.

Photo this morning was more of the 'fireflies' of yesterday in the solar jar. And I put it through KaleidaCam, a kaleidoscope app, and then into Snapseed to make it more dramatic.

So, here is my offer for today.

Have fun today. Live in the moment. You never know, like that poor bumblebee you may make a wrong decision...I am assuming it dies once it has stung you...

EDIT: I have just googled and apparently a bee does not necessarily die once it has stung you. It is only if it stinger remains lodged in your flesh after you have knocked it off. I didn't knock it off, I only shook it off, and nothing remained in my skin. So now, I am assuming it flew away, because it was not on the ground when I went back to look. That makes me happy :)

View attachment 50958
Lovely dramatic picture today and good that the bumble bee didn't die after stinging you. Of course - really good that the lavender oil worked so well on the bee sting.

lindisfel

Expert
The snippet about having a new and one only teacher for the three children and small community on Fair Isle, brought back memories and visions of sea cliffs and many other memories.

I went there for a few days birding with three other birders coming up to thirteen years ago.

I can recommend it as an experience not to be missed , but I would recommend not going across on the Good Shepherd.

I spoke to one of the retired pilots of the vessel and it even made him sick at times.

The small plane was great but at times hairy, the inter island pilots are brilliant.
The other older guy, a retired banker with us had booked his flight through a travel agent, I booked mine direct and got it half price!
Well the banker decided to carp because he thought he was paying too much, as the well healed would.
She who must be behaved at the desk, shut him up, said if you say any more you wont be going!
I thought it all very funny!
D.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

View attachment 50960
A great different looking tree @dunelm
I like it!

Reactions: jjraak

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all from Forest Heath where Wickes seem to be mixing the seasons to suit some abstruse colour scheme. That Llewelyn-Bowen clownshoe was working round round the corner recently. Coincidence? Ridiculous 5.9 on Swipey if LC and good control were isomorphic - cf levelling up//Brexit bonus/World Class almost everything for a similar relationship to observable reality. Reduced to a soundbite it is nonsense. Great day for you yesterday @dunelm and a sturdy, well observed tree. Another magnificent snapseed transformation @gennepher . Amazing concern for the bee. Thanks for the good wishes for ending #virusgate @geefull (amazing art and fbg as per ma'am) and @mojo37. @Krystyna23040 great day sorting stuff? Now I picture you as some kind of hybrid Marie Kondo and Green Goddess.:angelic: It will shine when it shines guys. Gotta love the Ozark Mountain Daredevils.
Good afternoon from the furthermost north point of Wales.
Thank you for the Snapseed compliments @ianpspurs
I will try to save any creature in my garden, be it insect/4 legged mammal/whatever. The bees are a joy to watch, so are the amazing varieties of birds, spiders, frogs, toads, butterflies, foxes, squirrels, even the badgers (who I may have persuaded not to enter my back garden yesterday, because he digs holes/tunnels that might allow Popeye to explore outside my garden...). Every creature needs a haven, peace, sanctuary, because in the big bad world outside they have so much to deal with. Wherever I am, as long as I am alive, there will be a sanctuary for little creatures near me. Even that feral black&white cat that attacked Popeye badly last year. And he attacked me and scratched me badly for no apparent reason. He understands he cannot do that now. And he gets food and water, and a feral cat shelter. I need to buy shares in feral cat shelters....
There is him and 4 other stray cats in my garden, they appear to understand catching birds is a no no. That is nothing I have done, but if these sparrows disapprove of something, they rise out of the bushes in my garden as one body in an arc and land in the bush in front of me. In this case I was trimming the stray branches from the bush. The sparrows were chittering en masse, and I have to admit I was a little scared for a second. I spoke to them and said I had no intention cutting the bush down, just trimming some stray branches so I could walk past on my path. The chittering and their fluttering wings which moved every leaf on that bush, as if it were alive, gradually stopped. And the bush was silent and still...
I came in for a well needed cup of tea at that moment....

Last edited:
Reactions: mojo37

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good (late) evening all :)

4.4 today

chilly mist his morning but it turned out to be a fine and sunny afternoon once the mist cleared :joyful:

The village was full of people this afternoon so we thought it would be better to get our exercise in mum's garden ;) We did some raking and some bush trimming then managed to get the trimmings bonfired :)

Hope your day is treating you well :)

@gennepher - glad both of you survived the encounter, I didn't know lavender oil was good for bee stings :)
It is amazing how a whole flock of sparrows can 'disappear' into a bush isn't it?

I'm liking the kaleidoscope of fairly lights you've created today :)

@dunelm - sounds like a good day was had ;)

That's a handsome bristlecone pine, you've really managed to give it such a sculptural quality, I've never actually seen one of those so I had to google it, they make striking trees :)

art bit - seascape I'm afraid, I was trying to infuse some more colour into the sky
upload_2021-8-28_22-49-36.jpeg

Reactions: karen8967

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good (late) evening all :)

4.4 today

chilly mist his morning but it turned out to be a fine and sunny afternoon once the mist cleared :joyful:

The village was full of people this afternoon so we thought it would be better to get our exercise in mum's garden ;) We did some raking and some bush trimming then managed to get the trimmings bonfired :)

Hope your day is treating you well :)

@gennepher - glad both of you survived the encounter, I didn't know lavender oil was good for bee stings :)
It is amazing how a whole flock of sparrows can 'disappear' into a bush isn't it?

I'm liking the kaleidoscope of fairly lights you've created today :)

@dunelm - sounds like a good day was had ;)

That's a handsome bristlecone pine, you've really managed to give it such a sculptural quality, I've never actually seen one of those so I had to google it, they make striking trees :)

art bit - seascape I'm afraid, I was trying to infuse some more colour into the sky
View attachment 50967
Another smashing seascape from you @geefull - I do like the colours

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from exploration central here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of pickings from a hot buffet came in at 5.4 this am

A day of two halves. First, out onto the marshes nature reserve for an explore and in search of the elusive Bittern (fat chance). Snacking on blackberries and elderberries we discovered blue and red dragonflies, grass hoppers, various butterflies, large gangly spiders, the Northern marsh orchid and masses of snail shells - a wooden decking path through the bull rushes and then, 2 miles on, out and heading for the beach in search of the blobby jelly fish. Fish and chips on the steps of the sea wall and then back home by 1pm and nearly 6 miles under our belt. Second (after an appropriate nap), up and out to meet family at the long awaited wake for Mrs Miggins’ mother who passes earlier in the year. Youngest son will be back from his bike ride along Hadrians Wall at lunchtime and will be taking the Ninky Nonks and Little Miss Pamplemouse home later in the afternoon.

Art bit - someone has asked me to paint a bonsai tree in colour for them so looking for ideas - not sure about this one - probably better just left black. Have a great day, whatever day you are living in. Time for koffy.

upload_2021-8-29_6-53-4.jpeg

Reactions: karen8967

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Partially Keats like - the mist. Forest Heath doesn't do mellow fruitfulness like my old part of The Fens or anywhere else really. The "shallow" cause of a wholly inadequate 5.7 from Swipey is the virus but what lies behind? is the important question. My analysis is that the almost invariable <1800 cals from any formulation of 15-30 gms carb I will tolerate - bg wise but mainly taste wise- leaves zero bandwidth for shrugging off bugs. Hugely exacerbated by the move and lockdowns but I need to manage this so much better. Another masterful seascape @geefull and garden exercise plus bonfires were a happy place. Wonderful sounding walk/nature ramble @dunelm. I hope the wake went well. I would hope the passage of time may have made it more of a celebration of MILs life. A family gathering planned here today for the Suffolk folk to celebrate a 6th birthday for a Southamptonite. Of course that is a blessing from God. Part 1 of this wasn't a whinge just - hopefully- a clam analysis of a major problem. Enjoy your day sub optimal or no. Come what come may time and the hour run through the roughest day, eh Will.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 this morning. Off to Sheringham Park today for a lovely relaxing walk. Was just thinking how lucky we are to be living in the UK and not in Afghanistan. I can't watch the news at the moment as it is too upsetting.