Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, strange old week here. I put my back out gardening on Monday; I'd already arranged to meet a friend for the day at the Hawk Conservancy (it's almost exactly halfway between us) so I went anyway. Apartf rom taking about five minutes - literally - to straighten up every time after we sat down, had a great day with her and some painkillers! Had to go to Bristol on Wednesday to sort out some things to do with my new kitchen; it's about an hour and a quarter each way and I could hardly stand up when I arrived. Walked around for a while, got upright, spent over an hour sorting things out but no sitting down!

Puppy class - well, it's not puppy any more - is a short drive away and it's all standing up; my dog was brilliant, back improving, didn't do anything strenuous and it's gradually, gradually improving. It does this very occasionally and I just have to wait it out, and it's frustrating as it's good gardening weather.

@becca59 you're lucky, haven't see anything ripe round here yet! I have had a bumper crop of plums though, so I'm very popular with friends and neighbours as there are far too many for me. The tree was so heavily laden one branch snapped.

Have a good day all, long weekend coming up!

Reactions: karen8967

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@hh1 I hope your back keeps improving. Backs hurting and gardening don't go together well.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning everyone, having another catch up day.
Lots of plums here too, and I’ve already filled the freezer ready to hole up again when schools go back so I hope all our friends are ready to OD on them. A couple of friends are coming here for lunch in the garden next week so there’re will, of course, be something plummy for pud.
I went for an FFP2’d shop yesterday and was a little dismayed. As a couple of oldies, and with the latest ONS figures, I think we’ll be back to online shopping.
We went to say hello to older daughter’s new puppy on Thursday. Adorable. Her older dog, his half-sister, is trying to teach him how to behave, as well as playing with him, which is very amusing. He’s quite feisty but who can be afraid of a little squeaky growl. I think he’d best be a little bigger before he visits us and meets Big Brian Cat.
Have a good weekend everyone. Hope your back’s better by Monday @hh1, you’ll also need to be able to straighten up again after the T1 communal bin search for the carb contents.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Feel like I've got the world's worst cold this weekend. Feeling pretty crud, just want to stay in bed and completely put off of food/feel sick. Really hoping this improves soon :(

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feel like I've got the world's worst cold this weekend. Feeling pretty crud, just want to stay in bed and completely put off of food/feel sick. Really hoping this improves soon :(
That’s rough, poor you. Why do these things always arrive to spoil the weekend, and this one’s hit the jackpot with the bank holiday weekend.
Granny voice now (I’m old enough, and I am one). Have you done a keto test and a LFT? Just a precaution.
Hope you feel better soon, and get through this on sick day rules.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That’s rough, poor you. Why do these things always arrive to spoil the weekend, and this one’s hit the jackpot with the bank holiday weekend.
Granny voice now (I’m old enough, and I am one). Have you done a keto test and a LFT? Just a precaution.
Hope you feel better soon, and get through this on sick day rules.

Have done both, negative for both as well. Was definitely my first thought. A friend recently had a cold and he said its the worst he has ever had, perhaps staying indoors for lockdowns has weakened our immunity to the common cold.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Nicola M had a cold a week ago. Courtesy of my 4 year old grandson. What a stinker! It has been nearly 2 years since I had had one and my body was obviously not happy with it. The downside of keeping ourselves in isolation. He is due to start school in a week. As someone who worked in primary schools the dreaded Norovirus may make an appearance. The last two times I succumbed I was seriously ill with it.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, sorry to be cheerful when people are feeling poorly - hope you improve v soon @Nicola M - my day's been much better as I went to my village's 'Freedom Party' this afternoon. It was in someone's paddock and it's a small village so there weren't huge numbers of people and we were well spaced out. Had a really great time and, unusually for me, drank way more fizz than I meant to so I'm still feeling extremely happy!

Enjoy the rest of the Bank Holiday all!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Nicola M Are you sure it's not covid? Be watchful for getting sicker. We are having a lot of breakthrough cases here. My brother in law got it even though fully vaccinated, not seriously but was sick and felt awful for a few days. And of course he shared it with his wife who is also fully vaccinated, she just thought it was her allergies acting up and a friend suggested she get tested because of hubby and it turns out she had it too. Very mild in her case.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone hugs to all who are not well,enjoy whats left of the bank holiday all

Reactions: hh1

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good afternoon all. How’s the weather with you? Our neighbours got back yesterday after 2 weeks in Scotland. They had wonderful, unscottish, weather the whole time they were there. It’s mizzeling here today as if Scotland’s just realised its omission.
Yes, plenty of ‘breakthrough’ cases here too @Marie 2. Just a few really unwell. It’s not surprising as the vaccines boost immunity but don’t confer 100%. A fully vaccinated friend’s just tested negative after isolating for the required time with Covid. She wasn’t very ill, and she’s the kind of person who would have let us all know if she had been.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi there my T1 buddies, just stopping by to provide a link to the IDDT September newsletter.
Some interesting developments this quarter:-
Sweat sensor for glucose measurement - page 4
Insulin may not need refrigeration - page 12
T1 vaccine, Insulin Pills and oral medication - page 20

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Feeling really frustrated and not very well as i've got cystitis. Have had it often enough to know the symptoms and dip stick showed leukocytes as usual. Rang the drs and after an extremely long wait got told no phone appointments left, someone will rang sometime tomorrow.

The reason for my frustration, is that through the pandemic I've rung and given the same information to the same receptionist, and not spoken to a gp or nurse, and antibiotics got prescribed and delivered from chemist. So why suddenly do I have to wait to speak to someone tomorrow, knowing that the infection is taking hold more. Sorry rant over!!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Phew - I've made it back in on the "3 weddings and a work bonus" new laptop. Which finally made it into my hands a week after I gave up on the "your purchase has arrived" email, and just marched into the store to complain about the lack of e-mail. It'll be 48 hours at most"! I was told last week after the unwelcome discovery even by going in-store, which I had had to do to redeem the work bonus voucher - which then had to be converted to their own vouchers... yep, I wasn't best pleased at all by the whole rigmarole.

All this leads me to believe there is some glitch somewhere on their e-mail systems, as I've been inundated with various e-mails from them in the frustrating waiting time. Including two which intimated I had, in fact, received the laptop...

At least, I'm hoping it's 3 weddings I'll have played for by the time the credit card bill arrives. 2 of the 3 are done after several pandemic-related postponements between them.

I'll be back in the education workplace on Thursday - I'm really not looking forwards to it. Other than the fact I'm back in my more natural curriculum area rather than the one I've been in the last two years. (I confuse people on this - I've been insisting for two years I don't work well in this area and it doesn't come naturally to me at all. Apparently, that's not what it looks like and the area manager doesn't understand why I'm so delighted to make my escape along with my last year's dia-buddy who will, I think, flourish better in this area... I can't quite decide if I have ridiculously high standards for myself or others have ridiculously low ones.)

Still, blood sugars have been well-behaved... more or less.

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
That's awful @Hopeful34 Bladder infections can be so uncomfortable, I used to get them when I was younger. An Air Force doctor told my mother to make me drink pure cranberry juice everyday back in the 60's. It worked until I hit my teenage years and I hated pure cranberry juice and stopped drinking it and started getting infections constantly back then. Then I started trying to drink Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice and it turns out they had changed it to taste better and had very little actual cranberry in it. It was hard to find pure cranberry juice except at health food stores. Luckily knock on wood they rarely plague me anymore.

While you're waiting you might try some cranberry pills. Hopefully it would provide some relief until you get a script. It depends on the type of bacteria though. Or D-Mannose which is more concentrated and is the active ingredient that helps in cranberries and blueberries. At my store we commonly had people using goldenseal with it too.

I hope you feel better soon.

@Japes don't you love the red tape of paperwork?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Marie 2. I used to take a cranberry tablet every day, which was pretty good at preventing or at least reducing the number of times I get cystitis, but unfortunately had to stop it when I started medication that contra indicated it. Not sure about D-Mannose or goldenseal, but will look into them, thanks for suggesting them.

Hope Thursday turns out better than you expect
@Japes.

Reactions: Marie 2