Advice please, lost meds.

Trulee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Advice if anyone can help. Picked up Novorapid and Levemir from pharmacy last Monday. Discovered tonight the never made it as far as my fridge, so now have approx 4 days of each left.

Needless to say OH and myself have searched everywhere they could have been put without success.

My surgery normally almost make me beg for insulin scripts anyway, cant see them being sympathetic to my plight on this, what on earth do I do????

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You need insulin, so you need to request further supplies. If your surgery is not cooperative, then report them to your local area health authority.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t use insulin myself but I believe you should be able to obtain emergency supplies from a pharmacy. When my father died unexpectedly last year and I had to stay with my mother 100 miles from my tablets (in all the upset I didn’t pack them), I went to the local Boots and they could access my GP record and gave me a temporary supply, I believe it should only be a week’s supply but in the circumstances they stretched it to two weeks

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would phone your surgery asap tomorrow (to give the gp time to re-authorise the script) and explain the situation to them - I am sure you are not the 1st and won't be the last to have lost your medication - as a 1 off I don't see it being a problem it is genuine - they have a duty of care to you - good luck

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you're in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, don't forget it's a Bank Holiday tomorrow (well, today now) so your GPs will be closed and your usual pharmacy may well be too :nailbiting: if you're in Scotland/elsewhere in the world then no need to worry about them being closed. I'd ask your pharmacy for an emergency supply and then get onto your doctors and get them to issue the prescription.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Advice if anyone can help. Picked up Novorapid and Levemir from pharmacy last Monday. Discovered tonight the never made it as far as my fridge, so now have approx 4 days of each left.

Needless to say OH and myself have searched everywhere they could have been put without success.

My surgery normally almost make me beg for insulin scripts anyway, cant see them being sympathetic to my plight on this, what on earth do I do????

Hi,

Did the script actually leave the pharmacy? Could it hacked been left or dropped & someone handed it in?
Try ringing the chemist, it could be in thier fridge...

Trulee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

Did the script actually leave the pharmacy? Could it hacked been left or dropped & someone handed it in?
Try ringing the chemist, it could be in thier fridge...

Hiya yes script left pharmacy, but doesn't appear to have ever made it home. Handed it to my partner as I got back in the car, popped to the supermarket and that's the last time we can be certain where it was. Pharmacy know me well and would have called if it was handed on.

Going to try drs first, then them in the morning. Luckily have enough to get to Thursday.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all, call to surgery in the morning

Hi Trulee, just wanted to add do NOT be bullied by your surgery, you're not requiring them to be sympathetic! That's easier said than done but you need insulin, so what if you've lost it (it happens), there is no way they can withhold more insulin from you or make you feel you have to beg for it. If they so much as hint at that, state firmly but politely 'Are you telling me to go get it from A&E then and can I have a letter from you to take with me' or 'Are you saying I must do without for a month until my normal prescription is due and can I have that in writing' etc.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding

Many years ago my diabetes kit slipped out of my bag and stayed on a coach going over 100 miles in the wrong direction. I went to the nearest hospital (Charing Cross Hospital), who managed to get my medical details over the phone. Although my dose that night was over 4 hours late, the hospital did me proud with replacements.

Reactions: coby and KK123

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya yes script left pharmacy, but doesn't appear to have ever made it home. Handed it to my partner as I got back in the car, popped to the supermarket and that's the last time we can be certain where it was. Pharmacy know me well and would have called if it was handed on.

Going to try drs first, then them in the morning. Luckily have enough to get to Thursday.

Hmmm, then if the usual nooks & crannies in the vehicle have been searched? Fair enough..

Supermarket, did you purchase any freezer goods? (going somewhere with this...)

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hmmm, then if the usual nooks & crannies in the vehicle have been searched? Fair enough..

Ah yes... Desperately looking for my teacher's planner for 36 hours, I eventually found it in the
top tray of the dishwasher! Don't ask!

Trulee

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thanks, books & crannies searched, garage searched, freezer searched, meds cupboard searched (even though they need a fridge), really isnt anywhere else it can be