Home HbA1c tests

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The whole purpose of an HbA1c test is to estimate your average blood glucose level. If you can do that using a CGM or multiple finger pricks why bother with a potentially inaccurate proxy.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The whole purpose of an HbA1c test is to estimate your average blood glucose level. If you can do that using a CGM or multiple finger pricks why bother with a potentially inaccurate proxy.
Bit confused by what you are saying here. Which is the inaccurate proxy you refer to?

Finger by its nature is inaccurate (not regular enough, and error margin). CGM is better but susceptible to pressure and still had inaccuracies

What's more of an issue in my opinion is the postcode lottery of blood tests. I've had about 3 in the last year and regular conversation, eye test and diabetic review. Others nothing and resorting to self funding. That's unacceptable in my opinion. I don't see how one area of the UK can be functioning and others can't

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn’t consider the home A1c test to be inaccurate following reviews here, prior to ordering, and online reading.

Due to another ,unrelated to diabetes health condition, I am not able to use any CGM that leaves a probe in skin for weeks at a time. I do use multiple finger tests daily, and record them in the mysugr app, which predicts HbA1c of 36. This doesn’t refelect my expectation, much too low.

The home A1c test also seems a bit lower than expected. It is over a year since my last GP diabetes review, and the HbA1c then was much higher than usual, so I have been working on it without the GP input. Surgery has not been doing anything other than urgent care for months now. I had expected current HbA1c to be around 45ish. So although the test yesterday puts me just under the prediabetes range, I am taking nothing as definite. I do feel relying on just multiple daily finger pricks is the least accurate method available to me at the moment, evidenced by the average prediction of mysugr app. So will keep on using my meter to keep track of how various foods are impacting BG levels, and have another 3 home A1c tests to use over the next few *months.*

edit for spelling mistake *months*

Last edited:
Reactions: Goonergal

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, @Daphne917 , it was quite simple to use. In fact I found the blood sample collecting easier than usual. The kit includes everything you need. The lancet was particularly easy to use, then the blood collector tool drew up the amount of blood required.. The video explains all.
https://ptsdiagnostics.com/a1cnow-self-check/
Thanks @Pipp might think about it if I can’t get an appt to get mine checked for a while

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit confused by what you are saying here. Which is the inaccurate proxy you refer to?
HbA1c does not measure blood glucose it measures the percentage of haemoglobin with glucose molecules attached, which is a proxy for the average blood glucose level over the 2-3 months lifetime of the red cells. The relationship was derived by experiment, a large number of people had their BG measured over a period of time and this was compared with their HbA1c to derive a table of approximate equivalence. So for an individual it is possible their HbA1c will not be an accurate indication of their average BG due to variables like lifetime of their red blood cells, anaemia etc. This is apart from any actual accuracy of the HbA1c test with differing results from different laboratories.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel an obligation to update.
GP surgery recent HbA1c was 47
Mysugr app predicted 39
Home Ac1now (tested immediately after leaving the phlebotomy clinic that did the GP blood test) was 35.5.
I was expecting around 41.

So, what do I consider the true level? Dunno! Best of 3? Mean average?
None the wiser, but still have 2 home tests to use later.

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mysugr app predicted 39
Home Ac1now (tested immediately after leaving the phlebotomy clinic that did the GP blood test) was 35.5.
Thanks for the update :) frustrating there is such a spread :(

Reactions: Pipp

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Mysugr app predicted 39

So, what do I consider the true level? Dunno! Best of 3? Mean average?
None the wiser, but still have 2 home tests to use later.

When I last did a home HbA1c test over 3 years ago, it showed it as 33. The same week my official lab test showed 43.

Reactions: Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I last did a home HbA1c test over 3 years ago, it showed it as 33. The same week my official lab test showed 43.
It has mademe wonder if I shouldbother with tests at all. 16+ years after T2 diagnosis , and no complications to date, I have been leaving the meter in its case for the last few weeks. I can generally judge if my levels are increased by the way I am feeling. Sleepy if too high, and a bit snarky if too low.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It has mademe wonder if I shouldbother with tests at all. 16+ years after T2 diagnosis , and no complications to date, I have been leaving the meter in its case for the last few weeks. I can generally judge if my levels are increased by the way I am feeling. Sleepy if too high, and a bit snarky if too low.

I only have my official lab test to keep my nurse happy. I am not at all interested in the level (unless it happens to be a very good one :) ) I just look at the graph and watch for trends. I rely totally on my finger prick tests to tell me how I am doing, and I hardly ever test after meals. I stick to fasting, before tea and before bed. As long as these are normal, I am happy.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I only have my official lab test to keep my nurse happy. I am not at all interested in the level (unless it happens to be a very good one :) ) I just look at the graph and watch for trends. I rely totally on my finger prick tests to tell me how I am doing, and I hardly ever test after meals. I stick to fasting, before tea and before bed. As long as these are normal, I am happy.
Seems about right. Will probably follow similar testing regime. Can get too bogged down with it all, but not testing at all could lead to a slippery slope of complacency.
Thanks, @Bluetit1802

Reactions: Bluetit1802