Marie4james

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone! I had my endo app this morning and she was very confident in a type 1 diagnosis.

I have been changed from Lantus to Levimir because of dropping at night and high during the day, carb counting with Novorapid and having a trial of Metformin.

It’s taken over 10 years to get here having previously diagnosed as T2 with lots of raised eyebrows from Drs as my BMI is 21. I had GD diabetes 12 years ago which was controlled with a lot of insulin.

I did what I could as a diagnosed T2 with loads of help from this forum (thank you!) and I believe that my LC diet may have been what held me for all those years.

Gliclazide and LC just wasn’t up to the job any more, so here we are! Feeling ok as I have already done the Bertie course last week and working my way through ‘think like a pancreas’. I’m pretty hopeful that I can manage this.

Thanks for your support
Marie

Reactions: annie-p and JMoli

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Marie, it sounds like you have a really positive attitude - that’s so great.
It does appear that quite a few people are misdiagnosed reading through the forums, and GPs wrongly assume T1 is a childhood disease x

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Just been put onto a similar regime myself @Marie4james - it's been a gradual (and at times very rocky) change from a T2 diagnosis in 2015 to 1.5 now. I hope it all works out well for you, it sounds like you have a great attitude.

P62

Reactions: EllieM

Marie4james

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Marie, it sounds like you have a really positive attitude - that’s so great.
It does appear that quite a few people are misdiagnosed reading through the forums, and GPs wrongly assume T1 is a childhood disease x
Thank you! Looking through the forums it does seem to be a shockingly high amount who are mis-diagnosed until crisis point is reached.

Marie4james

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just been put onto a similar regime myself @Marie4james - it's been a gradual (and at times very rocky) change from a T2 diagnosis in 2015 to 1.5 now. I hope it all works out well for you, it sounds like you have a great attitude.

P62
It feels like a lot of trial and error doesn’t it?! Are you also on Metformin? I was curious as to how T1 are responding on that. I was always on Gliclazide.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
It feels like a lot of trial and error doesn’t it?! Are you also on Metformin? I was curious as to how T1 are responding on that. I was always on Gliclazide.
Hello Marie,

No, I am not on Metformin it's a long story, but I started out on Metformin in 2015 which only had a limited amount of success but had the drawback of appalling tummy troubles (I shall spare you the details!). Then I got put on canagliflozin, it didn't even touch my sugars, I was still getting 10s and 11s most mornings. Glicazide was added, again, very little effect. Finally I was tried on Victoza, appalling GI problems and again very little effect. I had to bang on the table a bit with my GP and I was finally put on to insulin. I was using Lantus on its own. That went well for a while and over the last 3 months my sugars started creeping up again despite big doses of Lantus. So finally I have been prescribed the fast acting as well. I have an appointment with the consultant at the hospital in the offing for the necessary tests. It's been a long and very difficult process. I think that the doc saw a lady in her 50s who was overweight and immediately thought T2. I could get very cross about it but I won't

Loraines

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not having dessert, potatoes, pasta, rice, bread ....
I was first diagnosed with T2 7 years ago but had a contract working for Diabetes Victoria and was instructed to get c-peptides measured. So after the gauntlet of metformin and byetta which weren’t working for me and probably killed off all my remaining pancreas, am now on Lantus and FIASP at quite high doses. Had chemo for autoimmune vasculitis in kidneys and now on long steroids which put HBA1C up. Today my hba1c was 9.1%.

Millie74

Hi everyone! I had my endo app this morning and she was very confident in a type 1 diagnosis.

I have been changed from Lantus to Levimir because of dropping at night and high during the day, carb counting with Novorapid and having a trial of Metformin.

It’s taken over 10 years to get here having previously diagnosed as T2 with lots of raised eyebrows from Drs as my BMI is 21. I had GD diabetes 12 years ago which was controlled with a lot of insulin.

I did what I could as a diagnosed T2 with loads of help from this forum (thank you!) and I believe that my LC diet may have been what held me for all those years.

Gliclazide and LC just wasn’t up to the job any more, so here we are! Feeling ok as I have already done the Bertie course last week and working my way through ‘think like a pancreas’. I’m pretty hopeful that I can manage this.

Thanks for your support
Marie

Millie74

Hi. My experience is similar to you. Had gestational diabetes with both boys on insulin 14 years ago. Diagnosed T2 Jan 2019. Did low carb/ keto and took Metformin and SGLT2s. Still hba1c in 50s. This is when I read about LADA and asked for tests. In November 2019 confirmed LADA. On Lantus and Novarapid now with Libre 2. It is challenging, timing and dosing insulin. I allm still on Metformin. Was just told to stay on it. Hope all is ok with you. Not been on this forum in months. Such a similar diagnosis. My BMI is ok. 25. I still find low carbing easier. Not sure if I am supposed to eat low carb now though.