Its all going to hell in a handcart

TerryB65

Hi all,

Newbie to the forum after some advice. T2 diagnosed 2016, metforminSR 500mg.

All going swimmingly until covid and meno hit. I'm 56 btw.

I have from top to bottom...

Depression
High BP
Hiatus Hernia
Acid Reflux
? IBS (awaiting results)
Intollerance to wheat, gluten and dairy
Osteoporosis (no kneecaps)
Dry skin
Toenails like a rhino

But I still have my sense of humour! Or did...

3 weeks ago I had my first Abc1defgh thingie blood test since pre covid and it came back at 91!

Cue my sukkarto going from 500mg daily to 2g daily. Taking that much more I would expect somewhere near normalish but no. I can't get my BM below 10 and it mostly hangs around 14, before, after food, meds, sleep, exercise, everything.

My carbs are averaging at 47g per day. High meat, fruit, veg, low carbs, zero wheat, gluten, dairy. I drink oat milk. I swim 30/40 lengths twice a week, my weight is dropping very slowly (5st since diagnosis). IBS leads to the inevitable 'fallout' but not daily.

I can't get through to the surgery and econsult is phoning me on the 15th! So its time to ask those who know best.

My apologies for the long post. Thank you all

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi all,

Depression
High BP
Hiatus Hernia
Acid Reflux
? IBS (awaiting results)
Dry skin
Toenails like a rhino

3 weeks ago I had my first Abc1defgh thingie blood test since pre covid and it came back at 91!

Cue my sukkarto going from 500mg daily to 2g daily. Taking that much more I would expect somewhere near normalish but no. I can't get my BM below 10 and it mostly hangs around 14, before, after food, meds, sleep, exercise, everything.

My carbs are averaging at 47g per day. High meat, fruit, veg, low carbs, zero wheat, gluten, dairy. I drink oat milk. I swim 30/40 lengths twice a week, my weight is dropping very slowly (5st since diagnosis). IBS leads to the inevitable 'fallout' but not daily.

I can't get through to the surgery and econsult is phoning me on the 15th! So its time to ask those who know best.

Fruit?
Oat milk?
Almond or Coconut milk, are fine but I think oat milk is not so good?
What fruit are you having, as only berries are really acceptable to a type 2 stricken body x

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, welcome

You will receive lots of great advice on diet here, it’s very possible your blood sugar is raised due to your other current issues, if not, there are lots of other meds you can take far more aggressive and therefore effective than metformin?

Sounds like your having a bad run, I totally get that, I’ve had a bit of a year too, I hope you get some better luck soon, keep posting, you’ve already made me smile, look forward to more of that, lots of useful info here. Best wishes.

Reactions: TerryB65 and EllieM

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi all,

Depression
High BP
Hiatus Hernia
Acid Reflux
? IBS (awaiting results)
Dry skin
Toenails like a rhino

Ok so I’m pretty new here too so don’t have much advice but abc1defgh thingie had me pmsl literally. Lol. Bless you. I wish you well. Keep swimming. X

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
One cup of oat milk has 16g of carbs and unless it is certified gluten free then it probably isn't.

one cup of cow's milk has about 11g of carbs and is naturally gluten free.

I think I would choose cows milk over oat milk unless of course I was vegan.

Reactions: SuNuman

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi all,

Depression
High BP
Hiatus Hernia
Acid Reflux
? IBS (awaiting results)
Dry skin
Toenails like a rhino

I clicked funny first lol then edited it to hug lol. X

TerryB65

Fruit?
Oat milk?
Almond or Coconut milk, are fine but I think oat milk is not so good?
What fruit are you having, as only berries are really acceptable to a type 2 stricken body x

My oat milk is GF and to be honest its the only one I can stomach. Fruitwise I eat most except the ones high in natural sugars, bananas, pineapple etc. Mostly apples, berries, plums.

TerryB65

One cup of oat milk has 16g of carbs and unless it is certified gluten free then it probably isn't.

one cup of cow's milk has about 11g of carbs and is naturally gluten free.

I think I would choose cows milk over oat milk unless of course I was vegan.

5g of carbs v abdo spasms? I'll take yhe carbs please Bob.

Reactions: lucylocket61

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
My oat milk is GF and to be honest its the only one I can stomach. Fruitwise I eat most except the ones high in natural sugars, bananas, pineapple etc. Mostly apples, berries, plums.
Hi Terry! I think you will discover that apples and plums are really not that good unfortunately. I cannot eat any fruits other than berries (in small amounts) without a raise in bs levels. This could be influencing your high figures right now?

TerryB65

Hi, welcome

You will receive lots of great advice on diet here, it’s very possible your blood sugar is raised due to your other current issues, if not, there are lots of other meds you can take far more aggressive and therefore effective than metformin?

Sounds like your having a bad run, I totally get that, I’ve had a bit of a year too, I hope you get some better luck soon, keep posting, you’ve already made me smile, look forward to more of that, lots of useful info here. Best wishes.

Thanks Fenn, I will keep plugging on, just a tad frustrating at times. I am almost convinced that everything is tying everything together and if I could get the tennis ball in my chest and the very absent pregnancy (abdo spasms are identical to baby kicking! Weird and disconcerting to a menopausal woman) under control, everything will settle down.

Reactions: Fenn

TerryB65

Hi Terry! I think you will discover that apples and plums are really not that good unfortunately. I cannot eat any fruits other than berries (in small amounts) without a raise in bs levels. This could be influencing your high figures right now?

Ooh thats interesting, no apples in the Aldi trolley tomorrow then! I am willing to try anything at this moment in time, I really miss bowls of yogurt and berries, I think that everything atm is taking credit in some way but will go down the berry only route too.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I really miss bowls of yogurt and berries, I think that everything atm is taking credit in some way but will go down the berry only route too.
I take it that lacteeze (sp?) doesn't work with your dairy intolerance?

Reactions: TerryB65

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really miss bowls of yogurt and berries

Full fat unflavoured greek yoghurt usually comes in at sub 4% carbs so is usually ok along with some raspberries.Check the label on the back for exact figure. You might want to limit the portion size to 100g whilst you are monitoring what that does to your blood sugar levels.
You might even want to give full on carnivore a try as quite a few people have reported a lot of the conditions you have getting much better on a meat only diet (including depression).

Last edited:
Reactions: TerryB65 and coby

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oat milk is rather high carb, so if you are not using it sparingly you might be getting more carbs than you think - also it is wise to stick to berries rather than higher sugar fruits.
Your blood glucose levels do seem rather high for the amount of carbs you are having. Have you been tested for insulin levels, or for the more interesting forms of diabetes rather than it being assumed that you are type 2?

Dollylolly

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The docs thinking drugs cure all
I’m wondering also if your not in fact type 2 with that little carbs and surprised you’ve not had any hypos to boot.

can you ask for more tests to see.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Depression
High BP
Hiatus Hernia
Acid Reflux
? IBS (awaiting results)
Dry skin
Toenails like a rhino

Hello @TerryB65 ,

Going over your replies, there's very little chance you're at 47 grams of carbs a day. A single apple would put you at about 20 grams, alone. How are you counting them? Total carbs, or just "of which sugars"? Because it's the total carbs you should be reading. (And don't subtract fibre, that's a US thing and doesn't apply to the nutritional labels in the rest of the world). I hope that helps.

I don't do very well with dairy either, and have IBS and such, so I know it makes following a low carb diet a little more difficult. But there are alternatives out there. Abbott Kinney's coconut yoghurt is pretty low in carbs for instance, and is excellent with berries. Why not have tea or coffee rather than oat milk, which is usually high in carbs? Also, @bulkbiker suggested the carnivore route, which is basically meat, fish, poultry, eggs and dairy, and therefore, practically zero carb and certainly gluten-free. If you are lactose intolerant, you should be able to still eat hard cheeses. Shouldn't be any lactose in those. (Beware the soft ones though). Could also be just a cow problem, so you might want to try goat's sometime?

Also, you are questioning the IBS... Did it happen to start with the sukkarto? Because metformin in its many forms can cause gastro-intestinal distress. If you can adjust your diet to go lower carb you might be able to ditch the sukkarto.

Can you make a detailed list of what you eat and drink in an average day? Maybe including brand names and such so we can help you read the labels and see what your actual carb intake per day is, and offer alternatives? That might help.

Good luck eh!
Jo