Its all going to hell in a handcart

TerryB65

Full fat unflavoured greek yoghurt usually comes in at sub 4% carbs so is usually ok along with some raspberries.Check the label on the back for exact figure. You might want to limit the portion size to 100g whilst tou are monitoring what that does to your blood sugar levels.
You might even want to give full on carnivore a try as quite a few people have reported a lot of the conditions you have getting much better on a meat only diet (including depression).

Ooh thank you! I definately lean more towards protein high days, somewhat of a feat considering my old carb intake. Sadly its not so much the carbs in the yogurt as the milk. Is there a vegan yogurt I wonder....

TerryB65

Oat milk is rather high carb, so if you are not using it sparingly you might be getting more carbs than you think - also it is wise to stick to berries rather than higher sugar fruits.
Your blood glucose levels do seem rather high for the amount of carbs you are having. Have you been tested for insulin levels, or for the more interesting forms of diabetes rather than it being assumed that you are type 2?

Generally I get through a litre a week, its really for cuppas etc.

I haven't, as far as I know been tested for anything regarding the diabetes other than the usual.

KidDougi

Hi all,

Newbie to the forum after some advice. T2 diagnosed 2016, metforminSR 500mg.

All going swimmingly until covid and meno hit. I'm 56 btw.

I have from top to bottom...

Depression
High BP
Hiatus Hernia
Acid Reflux
? IBS (awaiting results)
Intollerance to wheat, gluten and dairy
Osteoporosis (no kneecaps)
Dry skin
Toenails like a rhino

But I still have my sense of humour! Or did...

3 weeks ago I had my first Abc1defgh thingie blood test since pre covid and it came back at 91!

Cue my sukkarto going from 500mg daily to 2g daily. Taking that much more I would expect somewhere near normalish but no. I can't get my BM below 10 and it mostly hangs around 14, before, after food, meds, sleep, exercise, everything.

My carbs are averaging at 47g per day. High meat, fruit, veg, low carbs, zero wheat, gluten, dairy. I drink oat milk. I swim 30/40 lengths twice a week, my weight is dropping very slowly (5st since diagnosis). IBS leads to the inevitable 'fallout' but not daily.

I can't get through to the surgery and econsult is phoning me on the 15th! So its time to ask those who know best.

My apologies for the long post. Thank you all

I also have a couple of element, although not as many as you, one of which was IBS. although not formally tested for, off the back of my symptoms my GP recommended I visit the NHS IBS dietary web site. Problem was that it recommended that I cut out all the food I like.
So I tried a different approach. I had heard of some connections between gut microbes and diabetes, IBS, weight gain and lots of other common issues Society seems to be suffering a lot of lately. So I tried fermented tea, ie Kombucha. I know some people make this for themselves but you need to get it right else you grow the wrong microbes. So I bought mine. I noticed an improvement in my IBS almost instantly but I would give it at least a week. I no longer get bloated and all the other undesirable symptoms of IBS have gone away too.
Kombucha is an acquired taste, vinegary, but choosing a brand which offers different flavours helps. And the benefits far outweigh the not so pleasant flavour. Very little carbs and zero sugar, for the brand I get. Apparently all fermented out.
I have previously tried those pro-biotic pills but found them to be a waist of time.

Hope this helps.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh thank you! I definately lean more towards protein high days, somewhat of a feat considering my old carb intake. Sadly its not so much the carbs in the yogurt as the milk. Is there a vegan yogurt I wonder....
Yes. There are. Loads. Abbott Kinneys coronut for instance.... It was my personal favourite, but gave me migraines, alas. Lots more out there, just check your super market's website to see what they have on offer.

TerryB65

Hello @TerryB65 ,

Going over your replies, there's very little chance you're at 47 grams of carbs a day. A single apple would put you at about 20 grams, alone. How are you counting them? Total carbs, or just "of which sugars"? Because it's the total carbs you should be reading. (And don't subtract fibre, that's a US thing and doesn't apply to the nutritional labels in the rest of the world). I hope that helps.

I don't do very well with dairy either, and have IBS and such, so I know it makes following a low carb diet a little more difficult. But there are alternatives out there. Abbott Kinney's coconut yoghurt is pretty low in carbs for instance, and is excellent with berries. Why not have tea or coffee rather than oat milk, which is usually high in carbs? Also, @bulkbiker suggested the carnivore route, which is basically meat, fish, poultry, eggs and dairy, and therefore, practically zero carb and certainly gluten-free. If you are lactose intolerant, you should be able to still eat hard cheeses. Shouldn't be any lactose in those. (Beware the soft ones though). Could also be just a cow problem, so you might want to try goat's sometime?

Also, you are questioning the IBS... Did it happen to start with the sukkarto? Because metformin in its many forms can cause gastro-intestinal distress. If you can adjust your diet to go lower carb you might be able to ditch the sukkarto.

Can you make a detailed list of what you eat and drink in an average day? Maybe including brand names and such so we can help you read the labels and see what your actual carb intake per day is, and offer alternatives? That might help.

Good luck eh!
Jo

Hiya Jo,

Yup you are right, I looked at my carbs and I average nearer 75 to 80g a day. I count total carbs only, anything else would lead to implosion I think.

I have just found a soya yogurt in Aldi, the carbs are doable and I only want enough to cover my morning berries. My whole shopping focus changed this morning and I had far more carb friendly stuff in my trolley. Blueberries, strawbs, raspberries, meat, low carb and wheat free snack stuff (gouda wrapped in chorizo)

The only reason I question IBS is because its not been diagnosed yet but personally I am convinced its IBS.

Generally everything I eat is Aldi, I cook from scratch, ready meals rarely so I sort out the carbs from the individual ingredients. If we have chilli or curry I ditch the rice and just have a bowl of the main meat. I don't touch bread, cakes or biscuits which considering I am a baker at home AND work (I am a baker in a sourdough bakery) is no mean feat! Thank god for bacon.

So this morning I have had 30g cashews, 100g strawberries, 2 gouda/chorizo snacks (1g for 2) and my treat to me, a latte with toffee nut flavouring (sugar free but still 14g)

Lunch will probably be some soya yogurt and raspberries.

Tonights dinner is boiled gammon, 2 or 3 baby boiled potatoes and peas.

Through the day, tea with a light splosh of oat milk

And thats generally my day. I used to plan my menus but my depression got the better of me and I stopped, its time to start again I think.

Today I swam 1/2 a mile, did the shopping. Lost 2lb this week and my bs is 11.1 which is an achievement in itself!

Xx

TerryB65

Hi Terry! I think you will discover that apples and plums are really not that good unfortunately. I cannot eat any fruits other than berries (in small amounts) without a raise in bs levels. This could be influencing your high figures right now?

It might be, I suddenly find now that I am having problems, I have an awful lot still to learn!

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
It might be, I suddenly find now that I am having problems, I have an awful lot still to learn!
Terry, when we join this forum we have to 'unlearn' everything we thought was healthy and right for us, and then learn just what our bodies can cope with. One day (if you are like me) you get the lightbulb moment, try the suggestions offered, and then see and feel yourself getting better. It's taken me ages to grasp but then I'm a slow learner, but I HAVE conquered the carbs thing ... at least for myself. We just have to understand that we are allergic to most carb laden foods x

TerryB65

Terry, when we join this forum we have to 'unlearn' everything we thought was healthy and right for us, and then learn just what our bodies can cope with. One day (if you are like me) you get the lightbulb moment, try the suggestions offered, and then see and feel yourself getting better. It's taken me ages to grasp but then I'm a slow learner, but I HAVE conquered the carbs thing ... at least for myself. We just have to understand that we are allergic to most carb laden foods x

And have you noticed its ALWAYS the things you love most? For me, bread and pasta, love it but it not only knackers the bs, the wheat ruins my joints and the chronic pain is simply not worth it.I occasionally stick my nose in a breadbag and have a good sniff though, catnip for hoomans.

Reactions: lucylocket61

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya Jo,

Yup you are right, I looked at my carbs and I average nearer 75 to 80g a day. I count total carbs only, anything else would lead to implosion I think.

I have just found a soya yogurt in Aldi, the carbs are doable and I only want enough to cover my morning berries. My whole shopping focus changed this morning and I had far more carb friendly stuff in my trolley. Blueberries, strawbs, raspberries, meat, low carb and wheat free snack stuff (gouda wrapped in chorizo)

The only reason I question IBS is because its not been diagnosed yet but personally I am convinced its IBS.

Generally everything I eat is Aldi, I cook from scratch, ready meals rarely so I sort out the carbs from the individual ingredients. If we have chilli or curry I ditch the rice and just have a bowl of the main meat. I don't touch bread, cakes or biscuits which considering I am a baker at home AND work (I am a baker in a sourdough bakery) is no mean feat! Thank god for bacon.

So this morning I have had 30g cashews, 100g strawberries, 2 gouda/chorizo snacks (1g for 2) and my treat to me, a latte with toffee nut flavouring (sugar free but still 14g)

Lunch will probably be some soya yogurt and raspberries.

Tonights dinner is boiled gammon, 2 or 3 baby boiled potatoes and peas.

Through the day, tea with a light splosh of oat milk

And thats generally my day. I used to plan my menus but my depression got the better of me and I stopped, its time to start again I think.

Today I swam 1/2 a mile, did the shopping. Lost 2lb this week and my bs is 11.1 which is an achievement in itself!

Xx

Ah, yes, depression does tend to kick one around. And it does make it harder to take care of yourself, when it's whispering "What's the point?" in your ear all the time. Don't believe the lies your mind tells you, there is a point to it all. And hey, still room for improvement from the looks of your list!

Cashews are just about the carbiest nuts out there, at 33 grams of carbs per 100 grams. If you switch them with walnuts, pecans, macadamia's or brazil nuts, you could both have more, and still have less carbs than you would with the cashews. If you want that anyway. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/nuts might help some.

As for the baby potatoes and peas, those are carby too... The starches, you know. If you lose those, and add in cauliflower rice instead (which can surprisingly enough be made to taste like whatever you want with the right spices), you'd drop the carbs even further. And the cauliflower rice would go well with chili or curry as well!

Also, since you're a baker... There are actual low carb alternatives to bread and cookies and whatnot. Ah, the miracle of coconut flour and almond flour. ;) https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=keto+baking&ref=nb_sb_noss_2 might cheer you up some. Bacon would do the trick as well, but maybe you could try pecan keto cookies sometime. I rather liked them. https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/chewy-keto-pecan-cookies-low-carb/ There's a whole world out there of things you might still enjoy.

You're doing really well. The only way is up. (Or, considering blood sugars, down! :) )

TerryB65

Ah, yes, depression does tend to kick one around. And it does make it harder to take care of yourself, when it's whispering "What's the point?" in your ear all the time. Don't believe the lies your mind tells you, there is a point to it all. And hey, still room for improvement from the looks of your list!

Cashews are just about the carbiest nuts out there, at 33 grams of carbs per 100 grams. If you switch them with walnuts, pecans, macadamia's or brazil nuts, you could both have more, and still have less carbs than you would with the cashews. If you want that anyway. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/nuts might help some.

As for the baby potatoes and peas, those are carby too... The starches, you know. If you lose those, and add in cauliflower rice instead (which can surprisingly enough be made to taste like whatever you want with the right spices), you'd drop the carbs even further. And the cauliflower rice would go well with chili or curry as well!

Also, since you're a baker... There are actual low carb alternatives to bread and cookies and whatnot. Ah, the miracle of coconut flour and almond flour. ;) https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=keto+baking&ref=nb_sb_noss_2 might cheer you up some. Bacon would do the trick as well, but maybe you could try pecan keto cookies sometime. I rather liked them. https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/chewy-keto-pecan-cookies-low-carb/ There's a whole world out there of things you might still enjoy.

You're doing really well. The only way is up. (Or, considering blood sugars, down! :) )

Thank you SO much for all this, huge learning curve going on I can tell you. I dont have the side carbs very often but today I am going to weigh them out carefully and thoroughly enjoy them. I have allowed for them today so 100g will do it, its not much but enough.

I'm going to look into the flours, I know they are out there, its simple laziness and being overwhelmed if I do too much in a day.

Thank you again

1970clea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a thought, I had severe IBS type problems on Sukkarto due to the Shellac coating not dissolving consistently- might be worth asking the doctor to try you on a different brand of Metformim SR? As soon as I changed meds it disappeared!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I found several oat milks with a carb content of just under 70 gm of carbs per litre - so 10 gm of carbs per day. That is equal to my breakfast 'allowance'.
I did note that they contain seed oils, sunflower and rapeseed were the ones I noticed. That is not a good thing to be having regularly.
For ease of access I have a small notebook with the carb content of just about everything I eat jotted down, the individual foods, I mean. Nothing is very high, the highest is the 95% cocoa chocolate from Lidl, and one bar can last a month or more.

TerryB65

Just a thought, I had severe IBS type problems on Sukkarto due to the Shellac coating not dissolving consistently- might be worth asking the doctor to try you on a different brand of Metformim SR? As soon as I changed meds it disappeared!

Ooh thank you for this, if I ever get through to the surgery I shall have a word

Thank

TerryB65

I found several oat milks with a carb content of just under 70 gm of carbs per litre - so 10 gm of carbs per day. That is equal to my breakfast 'allowance'.
I did note that they contain seed oils, sunflower and rapeseed were the ones I noticed. That is not a good thing to be having regularly.
For ease of access I have a small notebook with the carb content of just about everything I eat jotted down, the individual foods, I mean. Nothing is very high, the highest is the 95% cocoa chocolate from Lidl, and one bar can last a month or more.

Good idea, need to hunt a note book out xx