Consultant

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thought about the fact I've never been treated by a female diabetes consultant in the last 30 years at the same hospital and today, my video call appointment was with a new female consultant. Nice to see a new face.

Reactions: lucylocket61

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You know what, I'd never even noticed this before but you are absolutely right. How weird. My Mum saw several Consultants over her life (50 years of diabetes) and not a single one was female. I've only ever seen men. Kudos to your new Consultant, say hello from all of us!

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I saw a female diabetes registrar, maybe ten years ago, but then she moved hospital.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
From the ages of 10-16 I used to see a female consultant at the childrens diabetes clinic. When I moved to the young adults clinic the lead consultant there was a woman. They're both still at the same hospital, many moons later.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's a merry go round at my hospital but have seen 2 in my 40 years.
A quick google revealed the following female dominated specialities in the US at least (not endocrinology):
  • Obstetrics and gynecology—83.4%.
  • Allergy and immunology—73.5%.
  • Pediatrics—72.1%.
  • Medical genetics and genomics—66.7%.
  • Hospice and palliative medicine—66.3%.
  • Dermatology—60.8%

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't remember exact numbers, but I believe I've seen more female consultants than male, in my thirty-five years of this.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now you mention it. GPs I have.

Endos in the last 45 years have all been men.. Even as a kid.
I've not seen one male DSN either?

There seems a fair balance in my experience in ophthalmology.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I saw a male consultant for first 20 years of my 40+years of diabetes ,since I’ve come to Scotland (2001) all my consultants have been female, but in my 40+ years all my DSN’s have been female, plus all the courses I’ve been on ie carb counting Freestyle Libre etc have all been carried out by females,