Having a hypo every night

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've had a hypo every day for the last month. I even decided to change my toujeo medication from morning to night ever since 2 days ago and it's still the same. I'm trying to lose weight but it is affecting it.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you give us more information. Are you on two insulins (Basal/Bolus)? How do you measure your blood sugar? How do you know how much Toujeo to inject? It sounds like you need to inject less Toujeo but you need to balance it first. Do you know how to balance it. If you are losing weight you will need less insulin. Let us have more information.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How do you know you are having a hypo in the night?
Do you get hypo symptoms or do you have a Libre which is reporting a low number?
I ask because Libre (and any CGM) suffer from Compression Lows. This is where they falsely report low readings when pressure is applied.
If you are diagnosing night time lows from a Libre, I recommend waking yourself (if you have a Libre 2 the alarms should wake you) and double checking your reading with a finger prick.
If this is the case, you may need to place your sensor in a different position.

If the low is confirmed with a finger prick every night for the last month, I agree with @Daibell that you may have too much insulin. Your diabetes team should be able to help with your dose calculation.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a hypo every day for the last month. I even decided to change my toujeo medication from morning to night ever since 2 days ago and it's still the same. I'm trying to lose weight but it is affecting it.

Hi,

Your status suggests you also take metformin. Is this still correct?
When did you eat before bed. (Assumption the lows are whilst asleep.) could you still have bolus insulin on board?
Novorapid for me can have a lick in the tail around the 5 hour mark..

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Can you give us more information. Are you on two insulins (Basal/Bolus)? How do you measure your blood sugar? How do you know how much Toujeo to inject? It sounds like you need to inject less Toujeo but you need to balance it first. Do you know how to balance it. If you are losing weight you will need less insulin. Let us have more information.
I'm on novarapid and toujeo. Ive been told by my doctor and nurse and it helped to reduce the hypers. Does insulin make you gain weight? Cause I eat less but the meals I eat require 10 units. I don't count my carbs usually

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

Your status suggests you also take metformin. Is this still correct?
When did you eat before bed. (Assumption the lows are whilst asleep.) could you still have bolus insulin on board?
Novorapid for me can have a lick in the tail around the 5 hour mark..
Yes. At around 6.

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How do you know you are having a hypo in the night?
Do you get hypo symptoms or do you have a Libre which is reporting a low number?
I ask because Libre (and any CGM) suffer from Compression Lows. This is where they falsely report low readings when pressure is applied.
If you are diagnosing night time lows from a Libre, I recommend waking yourself (if you have a Libre 2 the alarms should wake you) and double checking your reading with a finger prick.
If this is the case, you may need to place your sensor in a different position.

If the low is confirmed with a finger prick every night for the last month, I agree with @Daibell that you may have too much insulin. Your diabetes team should be able to help with your dose calculation.
I check using a finger prick. But even if I haven't eaten for hours I get low

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Did your clinic suggest the time change? My (very limited) understanding of toujeo is that it is very long acting so it may take several days for a dosage change to take effect... My advice would be to contact your clinic for advice on a possible dosage change.

Reactions: NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The profile of action of an insulin like Toujeo could be uneven i.e. a slight peak after you've injected a large daily dose could produce this effect. Bolus action should be no longer than 4-5 hours.
So as EllieM says I'd check timing and also consider splitting the dose to lessen the impact of a spike.
If you have hypo with symptoms every night this is not acceptable for you and should be enough to warrant you a cgm or flash monitor.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Also i feel you should be on a CGM , it gives you alarms whenevr your sugar goes low in night.
If you have hypo with symptoms every night this is not acceptable for you and should be enough to warrant you a cgm or flash monitor.

While I 100% agree with you both that cgms are the best thing since sliced bread and most diabetics (including the OP) would probably benefit from them, the NHS is still only funding 20% of T1s, so it's not that easy to get a NHS one, and not everyone cam afford to self fund.

Personally I look forward to the day when funding for cgms is available for T1s (and other diabetic types), but I don't think we are there yet (unfortunately).

Reactions: alanboo

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. First insulin itself can't cause weight gain; it's the carbs you take. I agree with the other posts about CGMs. I started using a Libre 2 three months ago and it's been a revelation. I now couldn't without it. I have to self-fund and it's £98 per month which many can't afford but if you can it's worth it. You do need to carb count your Novorapid for the carbs in each meal. In my opinion to not do that has a dangerous risk of hypos so insist that your team guide you on that. We could do that but it should come from your team.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
While I 100% agree with you both that cgms are the best thing since sliced bread and most diabetics (including the OP) would probably benefit from them, the NHS is still only funding 20% of T1s, so it's not that easy to get a NHS one, and not everyone cam afford to self fund.

Personally I look forward to the day when funding for cgms is available for T1s (and other diabetic types), but I don't think we are there yet (unfortunately).
Agree that they are rationing them but I know that one reason for having one is frequent hypos especially those that require 'assistance'. I've had to fight for all my diabetic kit and it is sad that only the pushy type 1s like me get what they need! Those who have great control but for whom life would be made easier without finger prickingare at the bottom of the list but I think the OP should at least ask even if this risk disappointment. Most consultants seem to be exceding the 20% rule because they understand how useful these things are.