Ongoing Cost of free style libre 2?

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
What’s the ongoing costs of this system? Do I purchase one set and that’s it? The information on it says wear it up to a fortnight? What happens after that? Do I need to purchase another free style libre 2 system?

TIA - E

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The Freestyle Libre has two parts - a sensor which includes the transmitter and a reader or receiver.
The latter can be an app on a smartphone or a reader. The app is free of you have a compatible smart phone (there was a recent thread about compatible phones). There is a cost for the dedicated reader. This is a one off cost.
The sensor lasts 2 weeks. Then you have to replace it with a new one.

Abbott are currently offering a free trial of a single sensor.

I recommend checking out their website where you can
- watch videos on how to use it
- buy new sensors

I also recommend using the Search function on this forum (top right of the page) to read the miriad of threads about the Libre to ensure you understand the limitations of Libre. It can be an amazing tool for diabetes management if you understand it but, if you don't, it can be a disappointing waste of money. In most cases, the difference is lack of knowledge which has been repeated again and again.

Blackdot

The ongoing cost will be your sanity.
Unfortunately the libre 2 system is now awful(just google the reviews). So many sensors don’t start up, don’t insert, fall of almost immediately, and I’ve even had a libre 1 in a libre 2 box.
It’s such a shame as the used to be a game changer.
If you’re able definitely choose a different system

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been using Libre 2 since the start of the year and had no problems.
I think the additional bad reviews are down to volume of users, especially when there is a free trial .
Unfortunately, unhappy users are more likely to complain than happy users are to enthuse.

But I know of many happy Libre 2 users within the Type 1 community who know how to use it, it's limitations and what to do on the rare occasion of a problem.

Blackdot

I have been using Libre 2 since the start of the year and had no problems.
I think the additional bad reviews are down to volume of users, especially when there is a free trial .
Unfortunately, unhappy users are more likely to complain than happy users are to enthuse.

But I know of many happy Libre 2 users within the Type 1 community who know how to use it, it's limitations and what to do on the rare occasion of a problem.
Then you have been very lucky. I too am a long term user and as I said were a game changer. however since April they have been awful.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The good thing is that when you get one which doesn't work or stops too early you can simply phone Abbott and they'll send you a replacement.
I've switched from Libre1 to Libre2 and had one fail early.
I always use a patch over the sensor so I don't know about the Libre2 being less sticky as with the extra patch it's virtually impossible for it to come off.

Reactions: In Response

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I find the Libre 2 more accurate & far less prone to scatty episodes than the MK1.
I have a reasonably active working day. With regards to adhesion, once planted the sensor don't budge..

Once my endo was satisfied I knew what I was doing with the device. The ongoing cost was picked up by NHS funding.
These sensors are not a "magic bullet." But they can make managment & decision making of the aformentioned easier on any given day..

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Then you have been very lucky. I too am a long term user and as I said were a game changer. however since April they have been awful.
Me and most other people I know.
Suggests we haven't been lucky but more that you have been unlucky.

I don't know where you live (no need to share) but every one I know who have had problems have been in Scotland. It may be coincidence or a dodgy batch?
No one in Wales or England that I know has been dissatisfied with Libre 2.

Blackdot

Me and most other people I know.
Suggests we haven't been lucky but more that you have been unlucky.

I don't know where you live (no need to share) but every one I know who have had problems have been in Scotland. It may be coincidence or a dodgy batch?
No one in Wales or England that I know has been dissatisfied with Libre 2.
I’m in south west England. Both my GP and consultant have had massive increases in issues about the second gen in the last couple of months.
Perhaps I have been unlucky, but as an example last change took 3 sensors to get one to work. Never used to have this problem.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’m in Scotland switched to Libre 2 about 6 months ago after being on Libre 1 for about 2 years not had any probs actually have found that have had less faulty sensors than the libre 1 .for me the Libre system is a total game changer I know if I had have had this 10 years ago I wouldn’t have lost my leg , but just like lager I’m not bitter hehehe

Last edited:

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Libre 2 is reading 2 below actual finger prick for blood and this is constant sadly I have to pay for my own and so finger pricking for bolusing feels like money wasted

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a T2 I have the luxury of only using one only occasionally.
I did take advantage of the free offer, I then bought 2 more, one of which failed 10 days in and was replaced free of charge, thereby gaining me 10 free days :)
I don't use them consecutively, but for high days and holidays.
I quite enjoy the freedom and the data they give.
Just mho

So I have paid £100 for 52 days non contiguous monitoring ( 1 free, 1 replacement, 2 paid for). Future costs will be £50 for each 14 days, assuming no failures or replacement needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
What’s the ongoing costs of this system? Do I purchase one set and that’s it? The information on it says wear it up to a fortnight? What happens after that? Do I need to purchase another free style libre 2 system?

TIA - E
And what happens when you bath or shower every day? X.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I shower every day, and have had no issues. I've even worn mine in a hot tub with no ill effects.
Thank you. I am interested but they are very Expensive. X

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
So I have paid £100 for 52 days non contiguous monitoring ( 1 free, 1 replacement, 2 paid for). Future costs will be £50 for each 14 days, assuming no failures or replacement needed.
Wowser! Not an inconsiderable cost, every 14 days. - Just the reply I was after. And thanks to all the others "chipping-in".

Plodder

I got a Libre2 sensor on a free trial after recommendation by NHS Diabetes Team
First sensor stopped working after 6 days- contacted Abbot who sent replacement after a week - second sensor lasted 7 days then stopped working- another replacement ordered 8 days ago with a promised delivery within 7 days but found out just now from Abbott that it is only now being despatched and will be another week getting to me
I'm so glad I dont rely on this unreliable sensor and a company with awful customer service like Abbott
I wont be going ahead with using the Libre2 system - dont know if Dexcomm is any better

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the forum @Plodder. I think maybe you've just been unlucky with the sensors. I've used Libre 1 and 2 for about 3 years now and have never had one stop working (although I know they can do, the same as Dexcom or for that matter any other system can). I've also found customer service good, apart from twice when they were very busy and calls were redirected abroad.