Type 2 Diabetes ‘In Remission.'

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
“The group define "remission" — whether attained via lifestyle, bariatric surgery, or other means — as an A1c < 6.5% (< 48 mmol/mol) at least 3 months after cessation of glucose-lowering pharmacotherapy.”

So prediabetic for just 3 months qualifies. There’s a fair few that would go in and out of remission as the time frame is so short.

Good to have an agreed criteria. Not the most ambitious as it doesn’t represent “normal” in my eyes.

I guess it would reduce the numbers labelled “diabetic” and look politically good as a result.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Reactions: lucylocket61

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is important to read this paragraph.....

But it's not a guideline, panel chair Matthew C. Riddle, MD, told Medscape Medical News. Rather, "The main purpose of the statement was to provide definitions, terminology, cut-points, and timing recommendations to allow data collection that will eventually lead to clinical guidelines," he said.

They are just defining a word, not saying that it is the ideal state.

Reactions: lucylocket61

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is important to read this paragraph.....

But it's not a guideline, panel chair Matthew C. Riddle, MD, told Medscape Medical News. Rather, "The main purpose of the statement was to provide definitions, terminology, cut-points, and timing recommendations to allow data collection that will eventually lead to clinical guidelines," he said.

They are just defining a word, not saying that it is the ideal state.
Point taken but I’ve seen this discussed in a few places today. And many are taking this to mean once you get to this point the struggle is all over and you’re cured.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Point taken but I’ve seen this discussed in a few places today. And many are taking this to mean once you get to this point the struggle is all over and you’re cured.
Exactly. Rather than try to change the reality of an individual dealing with high BG, this looks very like an attempt to redefine "what success looks like". It defines "remission" as not being at +48 (ie diabetic BG levels) for three months. It seems therefore that one sub-48 A1c reading is enough to meet the remission definition - the A1c being an average of the previous three months. If this line is followed, it would mean that just with normal testing variance any T2 could be bouncing between remission and diabetes without anything actually changing for the better. And we know that people often have severe symptoms long before they reach BG of 48. Big question is, how does this definition of remission help people with T2 diabetes? I'm struggling to see how it does.