I've just had great news.

Roxyj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back in May, I went to my GP for a routine cholesterol test and it revealed Hb1ac in the diabetic range (53mmol/mol). They didn't tell me this immediately though but called me back for a second test, which was 61mmol/mol and then confirmed I had T2D. I knew I was slightly overweight and had tried to lose some weight but it had crept back to my "normal" weight of around 11st 12lb.

I came home pretty shocked as I'd hadno symptoms and I was pretty down for a while. Things got better after I went on the DESMOND course and I realised I needed to make changes to my lifestyle, which was the initially agreed course of action with the practice nurse, rather than go onto medication.

I went on a low-ish carb diet, trying to keep to around 80g per day, and cut my daily calories down to under 1200, compared to the recommended 1600. I also carefully logged everything I ate to ensure I kept to that. As a result I've lost 10kg (1.5st). Even better, I had my first 3-month blood test this week and my Hb1ac was 32mmol/mol, which is obviously well in the normal range and nearly half of what it was 3 months ago. I was so shocked I had to ask the secretary at the surgery to repeat that a couple of times "Did you say thirty two? 3 followed by a 2?"

Obviously I'm absolutely thrilled by that and while I can probably afford to relax my regime a little every now and again, I'm now used to eating more healthily and hopefully won't be drawn back. I cut out potatoes totally, only had very occasional, carefully-measured portions of pasta & rice (wholewheat & brown) and maybe had something on toast (wholemeal or soya & linseed bread of course) once every 2 or 3 days. No crisps, sweets, chocolate, ice cream or other sugary desserts, just berries & yoghurt.

I'd like to thank those on here who gave me advice and encouragement. The war isn't over but I feel like I've won a major battle.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, your hard work has paid off.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type