Those of you who are in remission, what's your a1c & what do you eat?

Glyko

I ate a lot of sugar prior to getting my diagnosis of T2. I am also 25 kg overweight.

I wonder if remission would ever put me in a position of tolerating carbs again, albeit in lower amounts? Like eg fruits occasionally, oat porridge, proteinbread etc? Right now I'm low carb. Pretty much LCHF.

Does the history of how you got t2 matter or? I guess the "machinery" is broken though forever?

What is your story of remission? What do you eat?

Would love to know how your remission looks like !

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I ate a lot of sugar prior to getting my diagnosis of T2. I am also 25 kg overweight.

I wonder if remission would ever put me in a position of tolerating carbs again, albeit in lower amounts? Like eg fruits occasionally, oat porridge, proteinbread etc? Right now I'm low carb. Pretty much LCHF.

Does the history of how you got t2 matter or? I guess the "machinery" is broken though forever?

Hba1c of 39 and significant weight loss (over 30kg)
Marked as in remission via doctor
Cannot eat significant amounts of carbs. All that you mention above will send my bloods into diabetic range I'm afraid.

Maybe how long I had T2 counts as was a decade+ between diagnosis and remission.

I am in the order of 120 to 130g carbs. Which may well be why my hba1c isn't lower. Not totally sure that level of carbs it is working well at the moment as had a bit of a bad week on holiday so hope it can be kicked back to control

realistically, in my opinion I cannot fall back to older ways, my machinery appears broken forever

Last edited:

Glyko

Hba1c of 39 and significant weight loss (over 30kg)
Marked as in remission via doctor
Cannot eat significant amounts of carbs. All that you mention above will send my bloods into diabetic range I'm afraid.

Maybe how long I had T2 counts as was a decade+ between diagnosis and remission.

I was in the order of 120 to 130g carbs. Which may well be why my hba1c isn't lower. Not totally sure that level of carbs it is working well at the moment as had a bit of a bad week on holiday so hope it can be kicked back to control

realistically, in my opinion I cannot fall back to older ways, my machinery appears broken forever
Thanks for your reply! It's interesting to read. I was thinking how remission might look...because I was reading about Michael Mosley and how he eat his mediterrean diet and not LCHF.

But I guess one can't begin to eat carbs again...

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply! It's interesting to read. I was thinking how remission might look...because I was reading about Michael Mosley and how he eat his mediterrean diet and not LCHF.

But I guess one can't begin to eat carbs again...
One size doesn’t fit all I suspect, for some it is possible weight loss corresponds to an increased ability to tolerate more carbs, or no change and increasing carbs is a path back to T2 diagnostic levels

We are all unique and I sometimes feel it does change, even between one day to the next the impact of carbs is different. Sone days I can eat food with no issue, the next day the same food makes my bloods higher. With heat, stress, or many other factors it is changeable, for me anyway

Carbs do seem a common factor, hence why for many of us dropping them has had a significant impact

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6 years of low carb and "good control" according to the doctor. HbA1c varies between 36 and 39. I eat (and drink) about 80g of carbs a day, probably a bit more as I don't calculate it very often now. I still avoid bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, cakes, desserts etc. I might be able to eat more carbs but the diet isn't a problem so no point in risking it.

Reactions: Andydragon

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Last A1c was 5.1%, I’ve lost 40kg. I eat lots of fish, salmon, chicken, beef, loads of greens, avocados, nuts, berries, protein shakes, eggs.

Im probably considered in remission, but I know I still have work to do.

I can go to the sushi bar and literally pig out on sushi/with rice and I’ll be back in normal range in less than two hours. But some items I still have issues with, like pizza. If the meal is high in carbs and fats, it takes hours for me to normalize. I’m golden if I just eat one or the other. My day to day diet is pretty low carb, high protein and moderate fat.

I think in another year I should be able to add lots of muscle mass and get to around 15% body fat. So I’ll reevaluate my status then.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
HbA1C of 37, still on 20gms to 40hgms of carbs per day. Weight now stabilised at around 5lbs higher than my post diabetes low and around 15% lower than my peak.

I may be able to eat more carbs than I'm currently doing, but can't be bothered to try it out since I enjoy my current way of eating. I can drink red wine and eat chocolate and still stay within my carb limit, so why push my luck by eating things I no longer enjoy!

M

Member496333

Last was sub 30 mmol/mol. I think 28 or maybe 29 from memory, so ~4.8% in American numbers. Eat animals or anything that came out of one. No plants. Very rarely some nuts. Don’t count calories or carbohydrate. Works well for me but of course everyone is different.

Last edited by a moderator:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always been unable to deal with carbs, like the rest of my family.
It was not a problem when at home as we ate very few carbs.
Now I am 70 and eating low carb, a maximum of 40 gm a day, my weight is still creeping down with no effort.
The foods described as healthy, or treats just have no attraction for me.
An added disincentive is that overdoing carbs will mean my weight will go up and it will take some time to turn that around - it always did.
I am absolutely fine on two meals a day.
Yesterday I ate scrambled eggs with cheese and went out to play music for long sword and maypole all day, came back and ate meat and mixed veges. I was tired after ten hours, but the rest of the team either gave up early or were almost on their knees at the end.

Reactions: docphi

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm fairly new to remission (if that's what this is!) and am not really tempted by much carby stuff now. I've recently worn a 2 week libre specifically to test my reaction to carbs but found I have lost the taste for most of them and actually prefer low carb. Bread definitely doesn't do it for me anymore - it's mostly only there to stop fingers getting mucky. We've just had Sunday dinner, not a potato or Yorkshire in sight, but full of flavour from goose, fresh veg and seasonings. Pud was blackberry crumble with 5g sweetener in the topping to serve 4, no other sugar but full of taste as just picked this afternoon.
I don't miss rice with curries or pasta - all they seem to do was fuel my appetite for carbs, now I don't need them, I don't miss them.
Yes I do have veg and seasonal fruit, and wine and very dark choc and I occasionally do a low carb bake which gets frozen and 1 1/16th is sufficient for a serving
I don't feel deprived
I do occasionally have a piece of celebration, possibly cake, but it doesn't taste as good as it used to.
Basically @Glyko , never say never. Who knows where your tastes, your weight and your bg will be in the future, just know there are tools and ways of eating to help you

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
So many factors affect this - at the moment we don't have empirical evidence about how our bodies will manage.
I went low carb the week I was diagnosed, and within just a few months of developing T2 as my GPs used to look at me and order a blood test nearly every time I went near them.
My blood sugar dropped fast, only the fasting blood still a bit high after the first few weeks. I started on 100g carbs then down to 85g or less to crack that.
My HbA1c continued to drop down to 33. I'd been in remission for over 2 years.
Then covid/lockdowns started and because I am high risk due to other health conditions I've barely left my home since. The carbs crept up, my weight loss reversed and my HbA1c while still well within 'normal' range is also going up.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I was 50kg overweight at diagnosis, probably eating 400g+ of carbs per day & completely sedentary.

In my case yes but it took about 6 months for insulin producing cells to heal enough to reintroduce carbs.

Some are genetically predisposed. There seems to be a subset however whose disfunction is purely down to visceral fat, lose the fat lose the diabetes.

Lost 30kg post diagnosis & began walking the dog, nothing more than that.
I eat 100-200g of carbs per day so everything is still on the menu.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I just kept lowering carbs as I went and that got me to the mid 30's, HbA1c-wise. Have been there for the better part of five years now. Lost about 25 kilo's, with a little fluctuation up and down, mainly caused by medication that isn't diabetes related. I currently eat meat, poultry, fish, eggs and some (goat) dairy. Nothing plant-based, so it's a so-called carnivore diet. I do have a slightly improved insulin sensitivity, but if I go back to carbs that'll just go "Poof" in to time at all, so not going to go there.

What my remission looks like... I thought I got away scott-free, but according to the doc, walking around with elevated blood sugars for years before diagnosis, did some (nerve) damage after all. So currently going through physical therapy and whatnot to get that fixed. Everything else has markedly improved though... No more thrush, oozing wounds that never heal, extreme fatigue, muscle weakness, fluctuating vision issues, morbid obesity, that sort of thing.

I consider myself in remission, but I know I'm basically just well controlled. If I relax things, I'll be right back where I started. And I'm okay with this being a for-life thing, as I am reaping the benefits daily. Dunno if that helps, but there it is.

Reactions: Andydragon

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Remission doesn't mean I've not got diabetes. My A1c is around 36-38 and stable. I eat ~20g carb/day, mainly from veg. fasting without effort for 12-18 hours most days. I usually only have one meal (breakfast or dinner, but usually not both because it's too much food when you're not hungry) and maybe some salami, olives and cheese at the other end of the day. I generally eat meat and dairy, above ground veg, and legumes (sometimes). Homemade pork scratchings are good and whisky has zero carbs.

I am still sensitive to potatoes, rice, pasta and bread (pastry in particular) and even very small amounts elevate my BG unacceptably. Full portions would be very destructive. I am not about to start eating carbs anytime soon because I had a raft of unpleasant diabetic symptoms which mostly appeared long before my BG reached "official diabetic" levels. It's likely therefore that even a small rise in my BG (to the low 40s say) would see a lot of those symptoms return.