High sugar at night one off

Fluffycat_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I felt a little strange so I took my sugar it was 18! Only ever been that high when I was steriods for infection but no steriods and no infection as far as I know. No idea what to do at this time of night Last time contacted 111 to be told just go to bed & rest but drink plenty of water next day to flush system but if I felt unwell to call back. I don't feel unwell was jus very flushed so took my sugar.
No idea what has spiked it had no chocolate or bread today. I had cheese & celery & cucumber for my tea and had nothing after just a fruit tea.

Fluffycat_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thinking about it wondering if I have a tooth infection as broke a tooth off last week and now my face is swollen on that side and hot so might be cause of spike. Got dentist on wed so will see what they say.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thinking about it wondering if I have a tooth infection as broke a tooth off last week and now my face is swollen on that side and hot so might be cause of spike. Got dentist on wed so will see what they say.
I have found that anything that results in inflammation (such as your dental infection) elevates my BG very quickly presumably via a liver dump. The interesting thing is that the elevation comes before the symptoms appear, so it seems to be a BG response linked to the immune system response, which makes sense to me.

The other thing is to make sure you haven't accidentally re-used an old strip. Guaranteed high numbers.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like a very plausible cause, especially with your face swollen and hot!
You might want to call for advice tomorrow if your BG stays this high.

Hope things will improve shortly for you!