Type 2 T2s Can anyone tell me the difference between remission and being diet controlled?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Isn't it one and the same?
To add my own thoughts here.
If, as we are told, there is no cure for we diabetics, then remission must mean that we are getting the balance right ( like clutch control in a car). We have steadied the line so that there are no peaks and troughs to speak of. We have learned what is good and bad for our particular body and are abiding by it.
But the diabetes hasn't gone away ... we are just winning the war?
What do others think?

Last edited:
Reactions: OrsonKartt

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Diet control is an aspect of your health and future health. Knowing what works for you is a baby step to get your blood glucose levels down as near normal as possible.
Remission is the target to the dietary control.

This is why low carb diet does actually work!

Reactions: ziggy_w

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diet control is an aspect of your health and future health. Knowing what works for you is a baby step to get your blood glucose levels down as near normal as possible.
Remission is the target to the dietary control.

This is why low carb diet does actually work!
I wish that I had understood this concept in 2016 when diagnosed Lamont D. It took me a long time to really see the message but I got there in the end, and am seeing a continual line of mid 5's, be it first thing in morning, before and after food, and even random ones. It's just a case of really listening to what our body is trying to tell us TO AVOID like the plague :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I wish that I had understood this concept in 2016 when diagnosed Lamont D. It took me a long time to really see the message but I got there in the end, and am seeing a continual line of mid 5's, be it first thing in morning, before and after food, and even random ones. It's just a case of really listening to what our body is trying to tell us TO AVOID like the plague :)

It was close to thirteen years until I got a true diagnosis..
It took a lot of educational reading and research to find answers. My story is in the blogs. It was a good job I had history in battling to better myself.

The biggest problem that arose for me was that I wasn't aware of my Hypoglycaemia, and no one realised that food was a problem. A healthy diet recommended by my whole medical team was killing me. And after all my research, I had a few rough weeks trying to get my head around it. The tests and talking to my endo really helped.

What most doctors don't understand is we are metabolic conditions that our hormones are out of whack in response to food.
They have been trained to recommend carbs because of the need for our brains to have continuous glucose for our brain function.
I now know, that is not true, and your liver would react if there wasn't enough glucose.

Nearly got carried away then.

Very, very low carb is the only diet that has worked for me.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It was close to thirteen years until I got a true diagnosis..
It took a lot of educational reading and research to find answers. My story is in the blogs. It was a good job I had history in battling to better myself.

The biggest problem that arose for me was that I wasn't aware of my Hypoglycaemia, and no one realised that food was a problem. A healthy diet recommended by my whole medical team was killing me. And after all my research, I had a few rough weeks trying to get my head around it. The tests and talking to my endo really helped.

What most doctors don't understand is we are metabolic conditions that our hormones are out of whack in response to food.
They have been trained to recommend carbs because of the need for our brains to have continuous glucose for our brain function.
I now know, that is not true, and your liver would react if there wasn't enough glucose.

Nearly got carried away then.

Very, very low carb is the only diet that has worked for me.
Well thank goodness you also got there in the end and I agree about the medical profession. So many of us end up suffering or not getting better just because of the NICE guidlines! I must read your blog. I've yet to work that page out

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Top of page, press blogs and search for Lamont D blog.
Hope you enjoy.

Reactions: coby

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there a difference?

I am not sure what your question means.

One can be in remission due to diet control.
One can be in remission due to medication.

There are several views on here on what remission means. What do you mean by remission?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dietary control is a means to the end of lowering one's blood glucose. There are other ways to achieve that lowering, medication being the most obvious.

"Remission" isn't properly defined - or, more correctly, there are a number of definitions. When I was told I was in remission it was because I'd completed a year with my BG in normal range without using medication. Others will say that remission is a pre-diabetic blood glucose reading for three months.

Reactions: coby