Covid Prevention Measures for diabetics

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Yes a lot! Although the first time I was fairly mild with temperature and cough, I was out of breath for months afterwards.
The second time barely knew I had apart from loss of taste and was then fine.
That's interesting Dandelade. It must be a horrible thing to catch, but to get it twice is pretty wearing for the body I would think. I guess you built up some resistance though, which improved your symptoms during your second infection. Glad to hear you are well :)

Reactions: Dandelade

Dandelade

That's interesting Dandelade. It must be a horrible thing to catch, but to get it twice is pretty wearing for the body I would think. I guess you built up some resistance though, which improved your symptoms during your second infection. Glad to hear you are well :)
Thanks Coby, I’m so grateful it wasn’t worse. My heart goes out to everyone who wasn’t so lucky or whose lives are still affected directly or indirectly through changes in behaviour.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Coby, I’m so grateful it wasn’t worse. My heart goes out to everyone who wasn’t so lucky or whose lives are still affected directly or indirectly through changes in behaviour.
Absolutely agree. Our world has changed. Let's hope we don't get a bad influx of winter cases x

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My 25 year old, no underlying conditions, nephew caught it, got long Covid and is still severely impacted many month later.
My friends mother, 101, with cancer and other underlying issues, caught it, survived , has no ill effects.
No one knows for sure.
Just do what you feel comfortable with that let's you live a life you are comfortable with

Reactions: HSSS and EllieM

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @walkingman,
I think whatever you feel safe to do or not do is the right thing.
I'm sure many people would think I'm mad with the things that I do to keep safe, but I'm me and they're not, I have enough health issues to deal with without adding being unwell with high BGs and ketones or long covid to the mix.
I said to my husband early on in the pandemic that I'll know it's safe to go about "normal" life when my GPs surgery is open like it was previously (can make appointments online, see a GP face-to-face, don't need to buzz to be let in etc)
We get takeaways but ask for them to be left outside, decant everything and then wash hands. This is the guidance we follow but things may well be different now https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52040138

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wear a mask as and when is needed plus use sanitiser regularly, also I have had both covid shots.

In nearly 18 month of the pandemic we have never washed the home deliveries from the supermarkets.

The Queensland state government have been right on top of the pandemic, by closing the borders with neighbouring states and their hot spots, it has stopped covid spreading here.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
At the end of the day wearing a mask is a very small ask isn't it ?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I agree @jaywak, but so many seem determined to resist. This pandemic is certainly revealing a lot about humans.
I want to say, @walkingman, don’t be worried about doing too much. As you can see from the answers here, we’re all finding our own ways to navigate through this and we’re all different; different ages, different personalities, different medical needs: we’re just all one part of the varied Diabetes family. Being comfortable and reducing any perceived threats is probably the best way to stay as cheerful as possible.

M

Member496333

At the end of the day wearing a mask is a very small ask isn't it ?

Maybe for the person doing the asking. Maybe not for the person being asked. Some people suffer severe physical and psychological stress when wearing a face covering. Made far worse when they feel pressured into it by others. But it’s usually the people doing the asking who like to take the moral high-ground over those being asked.

Not having a dig, just offering an alternative perspective that many don’t give a second thought. Virtue, it seems, is often a one way street.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hello @walkingman,
I think whatever you feel safe to do or not do is the right thing.
I'm sure many people would think I'm mad with the things that I do to keep safe, but I'm me and they're not, I have enough health issues to deal with without adding being unwell with high BGs and ketones or long covid to the mix.
I said to my husband early on in the pandemic that I'll know it's safe to go about "normal" life when my GPs surgery is open like it was previously (can make appointments online, see a GP face-to-face, don't need to buzz to be let in etc)
We get takeaways but ask for them to be left outside, decant everything and then wash hands. This is the guidance we follow but things may well be different now https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52040138
Well I certainly agree about the doctors surgeries!
You keep doing what makes you feel the most secure .. nobody thinks you are mad. xx

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If only they had ever been shown to be in any way effective but.....
A conclusion can be reached based on the current studies: correctly wearing masks of all kinds, despite their different designs, functions and effectiveness, will to a large degree reduce the overall risks of COVID‐19 infection and enhance general protection from coronavirus.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7883189/

Professor Prashant Kumar, senior author of the paper and founding director of GCARE, said: “It is important to reiterate that while vaccination is key to the fight against Covid-19, face coverings are also essential.
https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/r...ctiveness-of-different-face-masks-19-08-2021/

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A conclusion can be reached based on the current studies: correctly wearing masks of all kinds, despite their different designs, functions and effectiveness, will to a large degree reduce the overall risks of COVID‐19 infection and enhance general protection from coronavirus.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7883189/

Professor Prashant Kumar, senior author of the paper and founding director of GCARE, said: “It is important to reiterate that while vaccination is key to the fight against Covid-19, face coverings are also essential.
https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/r...ctiveness-of-different-face-masks-19-08-2021/

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817

M

Member496333

I think there’s very little real clinical evidence that they either work or don’t work, besides what seems like common sense and some eminent opinions. There’s the Danish study but I think it was inconclusive. Seems to me there’s no actual proof on either side, which kind of points to there being no real correlation at all. But all that aside, what I find strange is that the science of viral spread suddenly changed in July 2020. In March of that year, politicians and government scientists were of the view that they offer little or not benefit in containing any virus. Not sure what changed since then. Physics?

Last edited by a moderator:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The recorded limitations of this study suggest any conclusion is questionable. I'd say that of any study of any kind recording those kinds of limitations. Regardless of that, I agee with those who suggest we make our own decisions at this point, according to what feels safe for each of us and taking into account what threat we may pose to anyone else.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hello,

During lock down I spent time writing recording tunes..
In short, I used a mask as a makeshift "pop shield." This removes the percussive tones when projecting the voice or even breathing heavy..
If it can cut pressure waves on the mic's diaphram. It should defuse some carrier potentially puffing like a dray horse. Thus limiting the spread. ;)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. In March of that year, politicians and government scientists were of the view that they offer little or not benefit in containing any virus. Not sure what changed since then. Physics?
No, availability of data.

M

Member496333

No, availability of data.

Data has been available for several decades. Unless one takes the view that SARS-CoV-2 is different to other similar viruses. That may or may not be the case, of course. I don’t know. But I do know that expecting perfect strangers to make personal medical choices for one’s own benefit could be argued as selfish.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A gentle reminder to stay on topic. The topic is NOT the effectiveness of masks, if you want to discuss that subject, please start a new thread in General Chat, as masks work the same for diabetics and non diabetics.
Further derailing posts will be deleted.
I know it is all about personal risk assessment but I would like to know what others with diabetes are doing at this stage of the pandemic. It is not easy getting definitive advice and I guess the lack of a single answer on most things has been the lesson of the pandemic. This forum is great for giving people a central place to discuss approaches so I would really like to hear what others are doing.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My OH has Diabetes 2 but I don't. We are early 50s and double jabbed.

Our current pandemic procedures include getting food online and when it arrives, wearing a mask, keeping the delivery guy at a distance and washing the items. When we go out, we don’t wear masks outside but keep a distance from others and always wear a mask if we shop inside and carry hand gel which we regularly apply. We haven’t had takeaways or eating in cafes etc.

We do this because my understanding is that diabetics are at greater risk from serious Covid infection so I do all I can to keep my OH safe.

I want to know if we are going too far. We want to start getting takeaways and eating indoors. Also the washing of food packages is time consuming.

I know it is all about personal risk assessment but I would like to know what others with diabetes are doing at this stage of the pandemic. It is not easy getting definitive advice and I guess the lack of a single answer on most things has been the lesson of the pandemic. This forum is great for giving people a central place to discuss approaches so I would really like to hear what others are doing.

Thanks for your views and help.
I have been out and about over the last eighteen months on most days - I've tried to live as normal a life as possible. I volunteered for the food and medication collection/deliveries, for example. As this is an airborne virus, I haven't bothered taking anti-bacterial precautions over an above what we normally expect. I've shopped locally in supermarkets and corner shops, and used cafes, restaurants and pubs when open. As I'm retired, work hasn't been an issue. I've not been ill at all other than the usual minor winter sniffle. I've not worn a mask at all at any point. I've had both jabs (AZ) although from the figures it now looks like the jabs don't protect much against infection but do reduce the symptoms somewhat.