Coffee and blood glucose

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Articles like this are really ******** annoying! They give no idea of the number of participants in the study, whether other variables were controlled in any way and whether the results are statistically significant. Also participants were not given actual coffee!
And I have had enough coffee today to say this with some certainty!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink coffee because it's a convenient way to get my double cream fix. Double cream without coffee just isn't so easy to drink :)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I correction dose insulin coffee. It is so worth it. :)

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Your thoughts?

According to the Mayo Clinic, caffeine can impair insulin reaction. This means it may take more time for your dose of insulin to fully kick in. Caffeine can also increase your body’s resistance to insulin.

In addition, a 2008 Duke University study showed that caffeine may have an impact on your blood glucose levels. The study examined people with type 2 diabetes. One group of participants took 500 mg caffeine–about the equivalent of two cups of coffee–every day for a week, while the second group abstained from caffeine. Each person’s blood glucose levels were tested multiple times throughout the week, and it was found that those who drank caffeine had blood sugars around 8 percent higher than those who didn’t take caffeine.

Here is the full article: https://www.iowadiabetes.com/2020/01/01/coffee-diabetes/

This is more like a magazine article than science paper. - ok I’m biased I drink masses of coffee all morning and into the afternoon until I eat. I love the buzz and used to worry but I’ve read lots and lots and taken lots and lots of personal readings and in as honest and considered way as I can I feel it doesn’t affect my glucose levels. Hey ho I could be wrong.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And that's supposed to be research? More like a Daily Mail article. As coffee has no impact on my own BG I'm not about to be making any changes.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I have 1 super strong black coffee in the morning, and that’s it , I’ve not experienced any bad effects with regard insulin blood sugars or the like so I’ll be sticking to it no matter what lol ! I’ve given up most of life’s “bad” things but not given up my caffeine hit , oh I love being a rebel

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be fair, I couldn't live without coffee. I need it to wake up. I have 2 coffees before 10am and that is enough for the day. Black, with 2 sweeteners. Strong and satisfying. I rarely drink tea and sometimes I have a diet fizzy drink but apart from that, I drink water. Oh, except when on a night out, then it's a G&T (zero sugar tonic of course) or vodka and diet coke (if no zero tonic is available).
The thought of not having coffee to wake me up, is too much to comprehend

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
But hopefully it's a long, slow process maintaining good health along the way Grant :) x
Couldn't agree more. Keep in good health! x

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your thoughts?

According to the Mayo Clinic, caffeine can impair insulin reaction. This means it may take more time for your dose of insulin to fully kick in. Caffeine can also increase your body’s resistance to insulin.

In addition, a 2008 Duke University study showed that caffeine may have an impact on your blood glucose levels. The study examined people with type 2 diabetes. One group of participants took 500 mg caffeine–about the equivalent of two cups of coffee–every day for a week, while the second group abstained from caffeine. Each person’s blood glucose levels were tested multiple times throughout the week, and it was found that those who drank caffeine had blood sugars around 8 percent higher than those who didn’t take caffeine.

Here is the full article: https://www.iowadiabetes.com/2020/01/01/coffee-diabetes/

No looked at the original data but were any on the trail low carbers, which may affect the availability of glucose for any such response.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I normally have 2 plain home made filter coffees in the morning. I get sleep issues if I leave it later.

After several months I go a week without to make sure I have no addiction. So far so good.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a great coffee drinker and have always been so. I have not noticed any spike in BG but I have now been forced to drink decaf as I have found that caffeine causes me to suffer migraines. So I will continue with my coffee habit and not worry about this "scientific" study!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I will continue with my coffee habit and not worry about this "scientific" study!

I have drunk strong black coffee for more years than I care to remember so I am in full agreement with this.

It has not effected by bgl as I do not load it up with sugar / sweeteners / cream etc. just straight coffee.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Your thoughts?

What about 1 cup or 1/2 cup of coffee, and what kind of coffee and is there a variable increment in the amount of coffee? That happens with drugs.
- Dr. Squiggles

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does everyone drink black coffee? I'm fine with that but milky cappuccinos always need a bolus I've found on a pump. Can’t believe it took me so long to realise it’s the milk in my case!

Reactions: Krystyna23040

Jax21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Coffee doesn't upset my BG much at all. Last check after two cups in the morning was .7 up so i'll happily take that and enjoy my morning coffee's. I only have either almond milk or skimmed milk in it. Having given up so many other things there is no way in hell my coffee is going over .7 for two cups.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm now addicted to this: short and strong

BSlrJtlwVyEWECKTHKAeiQJDlxF5fHOU6eB_eZEvCsZYFfOkmLDfi-Bd4FbXiveSS_rajouoHIorWAXCzjKNa-YhTUO7HdqSJjxh2JykHsgGHHH5q0jATYMazFdg2V3RF1arx6LGWu4mR87JZNNzVO5Ukvl8ojNj0Tz2R7gtV5VlVk4FSFVXOPOc9CQw6sOHtndSZr1ehhSKseeUqqZF0bhwFhmfetb5l-7RHHZKlNOzk0L83_AwlNxszK-Pobql_Cwt8xrOemSObmlkANuYbxyadjem-Pkh0qm9MX0BdAQBgCYB72Bf8_Obl5xOYpeApfnxAWIxn7VAfIIxglghIxnYW7Vh1B8kVfV9JO7qw-ecd9E1daAtxAnYZN-xBTmlddKi5KewjwrwYF-L5jGZmcC4RoBhgVVNvotfNBSNxt3EwKZwhGDQvfehG2awFvKkMVepWC8KFbNz6JHhkfFUoVHOxDmzXrXRc7lkw6Vfn7PXajDtGO4FaySZFQUUZvZSkMOvglqhTpgypznZt1PJHL3o97oPRE-f8oqQ8Yjj-Fi-smmtThURapDD9oICQAFh8qvJFaYfQXQU196hd-QXIOEWE664Abaoxgg1CgUxchwYsCnXBFf1mNFmeIwv2qkXl1bg9DWLYLNab5LogH91s7uB1bquH8PwvHyXzvcTyg-iI58atZL2LWWpvqbi1LHEztE_VwW4wSI4qmdGNXsaLaU=w783-h587-no

Trevor vP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does everyone drink black coffee? I'm fine with that but milky cappuccinos always need a bolus I've found on a pump. Can’t believe it took me so long to realise it’s the milk in my case!

Cappuccino needs at least 75 ml (4 Gram Carb) probably more like 100 ml of milk and a small Latte 150ml min.

Yes, I like my coffee and experimented with what I can "get away" without reaching for my bolus as I am not on a pump, and find it a mission to inject for a cup of my favourite.