Type 2 Statins

rpchebden

The NICE guidelines stay T2DM patient should be offered statins if their chance of a cardiovascular event is > 10% in next 10 years by the QRISK2 calculation. I'm way below this and they nag me anyway; it is the financial incentive perverting treatment.
The calculator can be found by googling.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Only take statins if your lipids profile i.e. LDL, HDL ratios etc show you need them. Ask what they are or ask for a full lipids panel at the next blood test. Statins aren't sweets. If you are gaining weight with Gliclazide you need to reduce your carb intake which should be kept down anyway as a T2. Don't have a higher dose of Gliclazide than you really need to avoid hypo risk; discuss with the nurse

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did the Christmas shopping twice in 2016 - opened the back of the car, (once I found it again), and there it was. I'd forgotten I had done it before visiting my daughter two days earlier.
Nasty shock, I can still remember that moment.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The NICE guidelines stay T2DM patient should be offered statins if their chance of a cardiovascular event is > 10% in next 10 years by the QRISK2 calculation. I'm way below this and they nag me anyway; it is the financial incentive perverting treatment.
The calculator can be found by googling.

You are one of the lucky ones to be way below the 10%. Every time we have a birthday, the risk factor percentage goes up. When you have had 73 birthdays, you are already well above it even without any of the other issues. Add in diabetes and it practically doubles.

By the way, there is a later Q-Risk calculator. Q-Risk 3. https://qrisk.org/three/ There maybe even a later one than that.