High blood pressure anyone?

Glyko

Anyone managed to lower their high blood pressure? I have medications but my pressure is still high. I'm thinking of fasting....desperate....no idea how to lower it naturally.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Alcohol? That's reducing it unfortunately!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had high blood pressure before my type 2 diagnosis, never very well controlled despite taking two blood pressure meds. For my diabetes I started eating low carbs. My blood pressure gradually came down as my blood sugars were controlled and losing a shed load of weight as a welcome side effect. I don’t know if it’s the low carbing or weight loss which did it but I have been able to drop one BP med and halve the other one, my BP is now normal.

Edit for clarification.

Last edited:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone managed to lower their high blood pressure? I have medications but my pressure is still high. I'm thinking of fasting....desperate....no idea how to lower it naturally.

How high? Mine is always high when taken at the surgery, I have no idea why as I never feel particularly stressed. Today for example (at a diabetes clinic) it was extremely high, got home, tested it the rest of the day and back to what is normal for me which is about 130/85, they always pull a face at that but a previous ambulatory test (where you wear a BP monitor over 24 hours) showed that most of the day and all of the night it was fairly low. I am not overweight and have no other conditions apart from diabetes, I run every day, don't smoke or drink but still sometimes it's high. x

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, mine too! My GP now accepts an average of 14 readings (2/day) which I do at home, leading up to a planned appt.

Hi Rachox, it's weird isn't it? I don't even feel stressed. They sit there saying 'relax and I'll take it again', then they start talking about statins or something!!!!

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How high? Mine is always high when taken at the surgery, I have no idea why as I never feel particularly stressed. Today for example (at a diabetes clinic) it was extremely high, got home, tested it the rest of the day and back to what is normal for me which is about 130/85, they always pull a face at that but a previous ambulatory test (where you wear a BP monitor over 24 hours) showed that most of the day and all of the night it was fairly low. I am not overweight and have no other conditions apart from diabetes, I run every day, don't smoke or drink but still sometimes it's high. x
White coat syndrome...
http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/your-blood-pressure/getting-diagnosed/getting-a-blood-pressure-check/

Taking readings at home in a relaxed environment can be something that helps if the doctors will accept those readings.

Reactions: Rachox

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
White coat syndrome...
http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/your-blood-pressure/getting-diagnosed/getting-a-blood-pressure-check/

Taking readings at home in a relaxed environment can be something that helps if the doctors will accept those readings.

Thanks Andy, yes, I am convinced it must be this. My GP does ask for my home readings but never records them, to be honest, whether they accept them or not is immaterial to me, it's like cholesterol, (in the absence of any associated markers) it is what it is and I'm a bit bolshy if they start talking strong drugs to artificially lower 'random' numbers just to be average. Of course I will stress here that we are all so very different, when I look back over the years at blood pressure readings (all through 3 pregnancies etc) or at other times they have always been the same when taken by GPs. Higher than the so called norm but never high enough to warrant any medication, same with cholesterol albeit they are always talking statins, ratios excellent but the overall number higher than 'average', average for whom I wonder!

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
If you’re not low carb, check your salt intake. Your doc should be able to bring it down, I had to change medication twice to get it right.

since I’ve lost weight, doc pulled most of my BP medication.

But don’t wait , talk to your doc , you don’t want to damage your kidneys

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Walking and hand grips exercises consistently. Real garlic (not powder) and beetroot if you can tolerate it. This is what I have done to get to 118 / 72. Hard to tease out what has made the most difference, but I did do a test along time ago with garlic and this dropped my pressure by about 8.

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have got high blood pressure it was around 135 from what I remember but I have been trying to exercise like more walking everyday see if that helps

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;

I have had high blood pressure for a while. My blood pressure has lowered with a current change in medications, which in themselves caused that or the current change to their side effect of losing weight. It is a stroke (no pun intended) of luck because I am allergic to them. I think the previous ones caused a high degree of water retention. Serendipity :)

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not to derail the thread but as information - mods please accept my apologies if needed.

It's interesting how "normal" BP readings have been steadily reduced over the years. My systolic is very variable but the other readings have always been satisfactory. Time was that "normal" systolic was 100+your age or lower. Time was I worked in a job that required fast reactions and my systolic was a fair bit higher than now. I had to pass 6-monthly medicals because of a hobby of mine, and always did, but with today's reduced criteria, I wouldn't.

I have massive white coat syndrome, probably due to my natural highly reactive nature, which once upon a time made me very good at my job. My BP has been okay for some time, but in the last couple of weeks, systolic has been raised to just over the (new) acceptable figure. I'd like to know why this is - could it simply be the cold (house doesn't have central heating but I do dress warmly)?

I have always dodged taking BP meds and would definitely refuse them now as it's only the systolic that wanders into the just-too-high range, I'm old and don't want to risk a fall from lowering my other readings along with the systolic, and the side-effects of the meds are also likely to affect my blood sugar that I have worked so hard to reduce. This is my decision, and should not be taken as a good or bad idea by anyone else who is in a similar situation. But - does anyone have any idea why this should be happening?

Reactions: andromache

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Not to derail the thread but as information - mods please accept my apologies if needed.

It's interesting how "normal" BP readings have been steadily reduced over the years. My systolic is very variable but the other readings have always been satisfactory. Time was that "normal" systolic was 100+your age or lower. Time was I worked in a job that required fast reactions and my systolic was a fair bit higher than now. I had to pass 6-monthly medicals because of a hobby of mine, and always did, but with today's reduced criteria, I wouldn't.

I have massive white coat syndrome, probably due to my natural highly reactive nature, which once upon a time made me very good at my job. My BP has been okay for some time, but in the last couple of weeks, systolic has been raised to just over the (new) acceptable figure. I'd like to know why this is - could it simply be the cold (house doesn't have central heating but I do dress warmly)?

I have always dodged taking BP meds and would definitely refuse them now as it's only the systolic that wanders into the just-too-high range, I'm old and don't want to risk a fall from lowering my other readings along with the systolic, and the side-effects of the meds are also likely to affect my blood sugar that I have worked so hard to reduce. This is my decision, and should not be taken as a good or bad idea by anyone else who is in a similar situation. But - does anyone have any idea why this should be happening?

I agree that drs. place too much emphasis on diverse med-induced falls; e.g. I think they should worry more about blood pressure med -induced falls, than benzos on long-term habituation. As for temperature, correct me if I'm wrong but low temperature reduces your blood pressure not the other way around.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was assuming my blood vessels would be more relaxed warmer than colder, though it's arguable that the temperature inside me is always the same!

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine is always high when done on one of the "automatic" machines, done with an old fashioned sphygmomanometer and stethoscope, it's well within the normal range, I've just got a weird body

• Agree
Reactions: filly

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been taking blood pressure medication since 2006 and my blood pressure is controlled with them. I was told that as an elderly person I would probably be on them for life as we do tend to have higher blood pressure as we get older. I have never had a problem with them no side effects. I don't think fasting will make any difference to your blood pressure