Problems with Freestyle Libre 2 Sensors?

Al_H

Since moving to the Freestyle Libre 2 sensors I've experienced a high number of "Sensor Errors" which normally occur at a time I really want to take a reading - it was really rare to see this with the original sensors - are other people seeing the same issues with the new sensor?
Last week I had a sensor end prematurely (8 days) after showing sensor errors, the replacement sensor I put on then immediately displayed sensor error and after a number of attempts to take a reading ended prematurely, this may just have been really bad luck or potentially a more common problem with the new sensor - have others seen the same?
[When I called About they did replace both sensors but that's not really the point!]

Don't get me wrong I've been using Freestyle Libre now for around 4 years so I am a big fan and the improvements offered with the bluetooth connection is a major advantage but not if the sensors end early . . .

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Since moving to the Freestyle Libre 2 sensors I've experienced a high number of "Sensor Errors" which normally occur at a time I really want to take a reading - it was really rare to see this with the original sensors - are other people seeing the same issues with the new sensor?
Last week I had a sensor end prematurely (8 days) after showing sensor errors, the replacement sensor I put on then immediately displayed sensor error and after a number of attempts to take a reading ended prematurely, this may just have been really bad luck or potentially a more common problem with the new sensor - have others seen the same?
[When I called About they did replace both sensors but that's not really the point!]

Don't get me wrong I've been using Freestyle Libre now for around 4 years so I am a big fan and the improvements offered with the bluetooth connection is a major advantage but not if the sensors end early . . .
I phoned Abbott’s a couple of weeks ago, having had none go wrong with Libre 1, I have had 4 go wrong with Libre 2. They were very nice and said they are aware of the problems and working on it. Isn’t Libre 3 arriving soon? Hoping this will be fixing the issues.

Reactions: Al_H

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There seems to be a number of people struggling with Libre 2 issues.
However, I have been using it since the start of the year and had no need to report any problems.
I had one cone off due to bad placement which was user error. But nothing more.

Lakeslover

I’ve been using them since March and in that time I have had quite a lot fail before 14 days, around 8 have failed early, and three have fallen off. Each time they have been replaced without question by Abbott.

Right now the last two have lasted the full 14 days, and my current one is on day 9.

Goma5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Don't get me wrong I've been using Freestyle Libre now for around 4 years so I am a big fan and the improvements offered with the blue tooth connection is a major advantage but not if the sensors end early . . .

I've had exactly the same experience since switching. First sensor ended early, second sensor worked for 8 days, and then starting giving regular errors, then new sensor giving nothing but errors when first applied. My second sensor did rectify itself after a couple of days and is mostly Ok now.

I had a fair few Libre 1 sensors fail on me as well, bit of a pain, but as you say Abbott always replace them.

Al_H

Seems like this is a common problem that Abbott are aware of. . . .
In response to people's comments on the sensors falling off this is something I did experience when I first started using the Libre sensors 4 years ago (lots of sport seemed to be the problem) - after some discussion with Abbott I started to use Skintac (like superglue for skin) and I've continued to use it since with only 1 sensor falling off in approx 3 years (giving up sport was not the solution!). The only downside of Skintac is that sensors require some soaking before taking off, that said if you have problems with sensors regularly falling off I would recommend it :)

Reactions: deniski

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There seems to be a number of people struggling with Libre 2 issues.
However, I have been using it since the start of the year and had no need to report any problems.
I had one cone off due to bad placement which was user error. But nothing more.
Yeah, just for the sake adding to the range of perspectives, I have no issues with my Libre 2s and every error I’ve seen reported with the Libre 2 I did experience Libre 1.

When I went for my Libre Induction it was stated that Libre adhesives don’t cope well with high temperatures, like the ones we’re experiencing now.

Cathy E

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi I am a long term user of Freestyle Libre 1 and then 2. I never experienced any real problems with FL 1. Since switching to FL2 a couple of years ago, like you I have experienced so many problems. And the proportion of failing sensors seems to have increased steadily, to the point where I would say less than 50% actually succeed for the full 2 weeks: some fall off (not too many), others simply stop working and I just get error messages. Approx one in four fail even to get started - I get all sorts of error messages. Abbott replaced my reader at one point, but that made no difference to the level of sensor failures. The other issue which is super-annoying is that the reader's battery charge only last for 1-2 days - whereas the FL1 readers charge lasted for 1-2 weeks. Abbott are great at sending out free replacement sensors but I can't help thinking that they should sort out product quality - FL2 is simply unreliable. Think of all the tax payers money being spent on unreliable sensors that have to get binned!

Reactions: jules25

Abi81287

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh my gosh, i am so glad this isnt just me. My consultant at the hospital doesnt care at all.

On top of the error issues with standard readings to my phone, I have also found it doesn't interact with my Miao Miao (CGM) device at all either, but had no issues at all with Libre 1.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh my gosh, i am so glad this isnt just me. My consultant at the hospital doesnt care at all.

On top of the error issues with standard readings to my phone, I have also found it doesn't interact with my Miao Miao (CGM) device at all either, but had no issues at all with Libre 1.
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

My MM had issue with the L2.

I ditched the Miaomiao 2 in favour of using the Bluetooth from the Libre 2 straight to an app called “Diabox.”
Gave me a consistent sturdy CGM experience to my phone, with less techie bulk on the arm.

Hope this helps.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Abi81287

Welcome to the forum.

I also ditched my MIaomiao 2 when I moved to Libre 2 and just use Xdrip now, which is an alternative app to Diabox that Jaylee uses.

Reactions: Jaylee

DeryckS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The freestyle libre 2 sensors seem to have a few glitches, ive been using the a few years, and returned about 6-7, ive never heard a response.

Reactions: jules25

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

What we’re you using the Miaomiao for?
it is basically a NFC to Bluetooth converter. However, Libre 2 transmits readings over Bluetooth for the alarms so there is no need for the add on.
I used xDrip+ with my Android phone and found it easy to set up OOP2 to hijack the Bluetooth and forward it to xDrip+. As with everything xDrip, the instructions are available from their Facebook page.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

This might sound like a silly question.

Are you using the librelink 2 app.?
In the early release days I could still use the app for Libre 1. (Just scanning.) with the libre 2. whilst I was self funding & made a tentative switch before getting NHS funding. I would quite often get errors on the old app. But after dismissing it, & looking again it had actually had scanned on my phone. That was a galaxy note 4 back then.
Oddly, the galaxy note 9 with the l2 app can throw the occasional too? But, I’ve worked out it’s how much data it’s trying to acquire & make sense of.? Maybe 6 or 8 hours worth..

It’s easy to forget to scan for nurse when using an aftermarket CGM set up..

joesat52

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
used to like swimming but struggle now to do it.
have had quite a few problems but did not know who to contact at abbot so have just reordered from my Doctcrs.Anyone got the Abbot number incase i have further problems. THANKS.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
have had quite a few problems but did not know who to contact at abbot so have just reordered from my Doctcrs.Anyone got the Abbot number incase i have further problems. THANKS.
It's 0800 170 1177

mrsclairej

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The freestyle libre 2 sensors seem to have a few glitches, ive been using the a few years, and returned about 6-7, ive never heard a response.
Hello my son has only been diagnosed type 1 since mid August. We have being using libre 2 for about 6 weeks and no problems but when he scans he gets a message scan sensor and results do not come through straight away. Any ideas?

deniski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m still using Libre 1 and find it reliable and I trust it.
I asked Abbott to send me a Libre 2 reader as the Libre 1 sensors will soon be taken off market, they did for free but it has issues. I paid for a Libre 2 sensor to try and am using it now, the pencil icon on the reader at top right to note insulin units flashes and blocks and I can’t note the units. When I go into the upper right gear wheel symbol the same thing often happens.
About 25% of times I have these problems.
I’m not impressed.
Our lives pivot around these readers and personally I need to trust them 100%.

Niamh1

I am experiencing the same issues I have been using the freestyle sensor for a year but recently I have been experiencing problems such as giving me a wrong reading so sensor is showing as 2.4 going down but did a sugar test and that showed as 6.4 sensor taking along time to give me a reading it is just getting annoying especially when they have the new sensor out

Reactions: mrsclairej

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Niamh1
Just wondered if you'd had a hypo before that 2.4 reading, as sensors can take a lot longer to catch up with normal levels than finger prick tests do after a hypo.