coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Good morning to everyone.
I have just returned from my review with my new practice, and a tad confused.
Is it normal for them not to have done a cholesterol test?
I have always had this done previously and was waiting to find my results.
She just scrolled down the screen in front of her saying my kidneys are fine etc etc, then
casually said that they hadn't done a cholesterol this time!
I'm really puzzled, especially since it's always been higher than 5.
Some good news at least though.
She told me that I am below diabetic levels with a HbA1c number of 37 !!!
This is due ONLY to my low carb and IF during this last two months.
Also my blood pressure is high .. can't remember the numbers but the lower one was 100
She wants me to buy a blood test monitor and send in readings after a week.
Anyone know how I can lower it please?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sax

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Normally lipids are on the standard blood test panel, cutbacks eh.

Also my blood pressure is high .. can't remember the numbers but the lower one was 100

Presume you mean BP monitor.
When you find out how to lower it let me know cause I'm still stage 2 hypertensive even after losing 5 stone.

Reactions: coby

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Normally lipids are on the standard blood test panel, cutbacks eh.

Presume you mean BP monitor.
When you find out how to lower it let me know cause I'm still stage 2 hypertensive even after losing 5 stone.
Oh yes sorry. i was still in confused state after the appointment :D

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your HbA1c. Brilliant news. :)

Last November I had my last blood test review and that also did not include cholesterol. This was the first time ever as I always have the full lipid panel. I questioned this with the admin section at the surgery as this is the only way to contact them by email. The reply came back that "we do not do cholesterol tests unless the diabetic patient is on statins". I informed them that statins were initially prescribed to me back in 2014 but after a couple of months I stopped taking them despite the GP's objections, and that all previous review tests had included cholesterol and lipids. They relented and offered me a second blood test for cholesterol. Guess what - total cholesterol was all I got. No lipid breakdown at all. As my total was the same as it had been for years, I gave up. My next test is due this November and I will be making sure it includes the full lipid panel.

As for a blood pressure meter, it is always wise to have one at home. We have had one for years. Testing once or twice a year at the surgery tells us nothing, especially as white coat syndrome can play a big part. Our blood pressure changes from second to second, a bit like our blood sugar, so the ones done in the surgery are only snapshots. Testing in the more relaxed atmosphere at home is a much more accurate way of knowing how we are doing.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

I wouldn't assume it's high just because it is at the doctor's, white coat phenomena is a real thing.

Exercise and/or weight loss is all I can think of for reducing bp, but I'm on meds. though not as much as I used to be.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well done on your HbA1c. Brilliant news. :)

Last November I had my last blood test review and that also did not include cholesterol. This was the first time ever as I always have the full lipid panel. I questioned this with the admin section at the surgery as this is the only way to contact them by email. The reply came back that "we do not do cholesterol tests unless the diabetic patient is on statins". I informed them that statins were initially prescribed to me back in 2014 but after a couple of months I stopped taking them despite the GP's objections, and that all previous review tests had included cholesterol and lipids. They relented and offered me a second blood test for cholesterol. Guess what - total cholesterol was all I got. No lipid breakdown at all. As my total was the same as it had been for years, I gave up. My next test is due this November and I will be making sure it includes the full lipid panel.

As for a blood pressure meter, it is always wise to have one at home. We have had one for years. Testing once or twice a year at the surgery tells us nothing, especially as white coat syndrome can play a big part. Our blood pressure changes from second to second, a bit like our blood sugar, so the ones done in the surgery are only snapshots. Testing in the more relaxed atmosphere at home is a much more accurate way of knowing how we are doing.
Thank you for that info on the cholesterol tests as I've not had any reviews since 2018 and didn't know they had changed the way of doing things. Is there another way for me to get a cholesterol test other than through my gp practice?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I wouldn't assume it's high just because it is at the doctor's, white coat phenomena is a real thing.

Exercise and/or weight loss is all I can think of for reducing bp, but I'm on meds. though not as much as I used to be.
Thank you EllieM x

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She just scrolled down the screen in front of her saying my kidneys are fine etc etc, then
She told me that I am below diabetic levels with a number of 37 !!!

Hi @coby,

Stellar HbA1c results. Lots of hard work, but really well done. Congrats.

The higher blood pressure results might have been influenced by "white coat syndrome," meaning that this might have been due to nervousness/stress while discussing the results with your nurse. For me, it's the same, at home average blood pressure is about 110 over 70, while at the gp's office it is never less than 150 over 85.

So, maybe once you start measuring at home, you might find there is nothing to worry about. Anyway -- keeping my fingers crossed for you. Btw, regular exercise can also lower blood pressure, but only by about 10 points.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @coby,

Stellar HbA1c results. Lots of hard work, but really well done. Congrats.

The higher blood pressure results might have been influenced by "white coat syndrome," meaning that this might have been due to nervousness/stress while discussing the results with your nurse. For me, it's the same, at home average blood pressure is about 110 over 70, while at the gp's office it is never less than 150 over 85.

So, maybe once you start measuring at home, you might find there is nothing to worry about. Anyway -- keeping my fingers crossed for you. Btw, regular exercise can also lower blood pressure, but only by about 10 points.
Thank you ziggy and even 10 points is good! I am wondering if I should try garlic pills? I'm sure I read somewhere that garlic does help and there's none in my usual diet

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you ziggy and even 10 points is good! I am wondering if I should try garlic pills? I'm sure I read somewhere that garlic does help and there's none in my usual diet
First you need to be sure you have high blood pressure. I always take a few readings at home and they use the average at my review. My doctor recommended the Omron M2 basic blood pressure meter, its very good and only about £25.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
First you need to be sure you have high blood pressure. I always take a few readings at home and they use the average at my review. My doctor recommended the Omron M2 basic blood pressure meter, its very good and only about £25.
Thank you . It wouldn't surprise me as it was always elevated a little at my former GP surgery to be fair.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
She told me that I am below diabetic levels with a HbA1c number of 37 !!!

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Very well done on yr a1c. I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol - am on tablets for both and they are now normal readings. I always do my bp after I have been sitting at the table quietly for 5 mins. I have the Braun one. I think to lower blood pressure is the same as for healthy living - lose weight, lots of walking and cut back on salt. I don’t mind taking the tablets as my readings are then normal. You may b asked to wear a machine from the surgery for 24 hrs. I remember I had to wear it when I had to go (on foot) all the way to the top of that multi storey by stairs to collect my 2 grandsons from my son in his car lol. Needless to say it was very high lol. Best wishes I’m at work at mo. Xxxxx.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I last had my bloods taken I asked for a full lipid panel as this is what the lipidologist at the hospital had requested. Pleased I did as apparently for the first time ever they were only going to check total cholesterol. It definitely must be a cost saving exercise. Nurse said "ok but I'll need a different vial" then proceeded to choose a different coloured label one from the vial cabinet. Looks like its either a different test at the lab for full lipids or a different section of the lab. Who knows but one to watch I think if people are expecting a full lipid panel, it looks like changes are afoot certainly at my GPs.
Regarding cholesterol testing. You can buy cholesterol testers online but be careful the one I bought seems to measure lower than the lipid test done at the surgery. So it was a good point and a half lower which was a bit disconcerting at the time. Maybe its different because my tester uses interstitial bloods where the Nurse takes blood from the vein. Can't say.

I have white coat syndrome Doc told me to take my own BP and use the the best of 3. Works for me.

Excellent results for your HbA1c levels by the way.

Reactions: EllieM

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
When I last had my bloods taken I asked for a full lipid panel as this is what the lipidologist at the hospital had requested. Pleased I did as apparently for the first time ever they were only going to check total cholesterol. It definitely must be a cost saving exercise. Nurse said "ok but I'll need a different vial" then proceeded to choose a different coloured label one from the vial cabinet. Looks like its either a different test at the lab for full lipids or a different section of the lab. Who knows but one to watch I think if people are expecting a full lipid panel, it looks like changes are afoot certainly at my GPs.
Regarding cholesterol testing. You can buy cholesterol testers online but be careful the one I bought seems to measure lower than the lipid test done at the surgery. So it was a good point and a half lower which was a bit disconcerting at the time. Maybe its different because my tester uses interstitial bloods where the Nurse takes blood from the vein. Can't say.

I have white coat syndrome Doc told me to take my own BP and use the the best of 3. Works for me.

Excellent results for your HbA1c levels by the way.
Thank you so much for all the information Ryhia, and I like the idea of taking bp three times to get an average. Argos online are bringing a monitor this afternoon so I can then begin testing :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
At your next appointment for bloods, ask your dsn/GP for a full blood panel including cholesterol. Keep low carbing and your cholesterol and BP, levels will come down.

Well done on your success.

Reactions: danziger and coby

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for all the information Ryhia, and I like the idea of taking bp three times to get an average. Argos online are bringing a monitor this afternoon so I can then begin testing :)
It is important to follow the correct procedure, something that doesn't always happen at the doctor's.

Attachments

• CheckingBPathomeA4_web.pdf
    113.8 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cholesterol can be quite dynamic too so it might well be that both readings were "correct" but that different times and different food types could have had an impact.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It is important to follow the correct procedure, something that doesn't always happen at the doctor's.
I can't open that file as it doesn't work on my laptop Mr Pot and I don't have a smartphone :(

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't open that file as it doesn't work on my laptop Mr Pot and I don't have a smartphone :(
Not sure if this will be legible but...
Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 15.29.32.png