First Review in three years

M

Member496333

Every time I have my BP measured in a clinical setting the pressure is high enough to cut steel. Every time I measure it at home it’s totally fine. White coat syndrome is real, and I wouldn’t mind betting that quite a lot of people are incorrectly diagnosed with hypertension because of it.

Congrats on the A1c.

Reactions: EllieM and coby

pumas

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My home BP readings are fine. One surgery reading on their and my monitor - 214/104.(white coat syndrome)
I always feel I'm going into battle with a surgery!

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Every time I have my BP measured in a clinical setting the pressure is high enough to cut steel. Every time I measure it at home it’s totally fine. White coat syndrome is real, and I wouldn’t mind betting that quite a lot of people are incorrectly diagnosed with hypertension because of it.

Congrats on the A1c.
Thank you Jim :)

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
At your next appointment for bloods, ask your dsn/GP for a full blood panel including cholesterol. Keep low carbing and your cholesterol and BP, levels will come down.

Well done on your success.
Thank you Lamont. I am still trying to take it in !!! :)

Reactions: Lamont D

richf

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
rainy days
Coby,
Like others I understand about "white coat syndrome". Up until a few years ago I used to fly and at my first medical my BP was really high and was told to return in a month to get it checked out again. The Chief Flying Instructor suggested I got a monitor and test regularly. After the first couple of checks the readings were normal and I felt less stressed doing it at home. I recorded every reading and took the results and monitor to the surgery. My BP was taken using the surgery monitor and mine and basically they were the same so they were happy to accept my readings. However my readings are still a little high at the surgery but always take my readings and monitor and they are happy to accept my readings. At least I know that my BP is ok.
I found that this worked for me and hope it will for you. However there are folk that aren't affected by this and are not sympathetic in this area. I am sure taking your readings in your own environment will be fine, but anticipation may elevate your first couple of readings.

I had a phone consultation with the surgery pharmacist yesterday only to learn that when my bloods were taken a couple of weeks back for some reason they did not do all the tests, but as they have no tubes they expect to be able to sort that out in 3 months.
I have to attend on Friday for my actual review. Hoping to get records of all previous tests.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Coby,
Like others I understand about "white coat syndrome". Up until a few years ago I used to fly and at my first medical my BP was really high and was told to return in a month to get it checked out again. The Chief Flying Instructor suggested I got a monitor and test regularly. After the first couple of checks the readings were normal and I felt less stressed doing it at home. I recorded every reading and took the results and monitor to the surgery. My BP was taken using the surgery monitor and mine and basically they were the same so they were happy to accept my readings. However my readings are still a little high at the surgery but always take my readings and monitor and they are happy to accept my readings. At least I know that my BP is ok.
I found that this worked for me and hope it will for you. However there are folk that aren't affected by this and are not sympathetic in this area. I am sure taking your readings in your own environment will be fine, but anticipation may elevate your first couple of readings.

I had a phone consultation with the surgery pharmacist yesterday only to learn that when my bloods were taken a couple of weeks back for some reason they did not do all the tests, but as they have no tubes they expect to be able to sort that out in 3 months.
I have to attend on Friday for my actual review. Hoping to get records of all previous tests.
I hope that all goes well for you richf, and do post results on here won't you? I've taken my first 'at home' reading and did it twice. Both times it was 142 over 83 so at least it's come down a bit from the DN's one!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Many nurses don't know how to do a BP measure. They hardly allow you to sit down before starting. They talk to you during the measure and often only do one test. I always use my home meter, do it properly and my DN accepts my readings.

Reactions: coby

Dandelade

Well done again Coby great results!

Maybe a small possibility but being dehydrated can give falsely high bp readings...

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Maybe a small possibility but being dehydrated can give falsely high bp readings...
Dandelade I never gave that a thought! I had not even had a drink, let alone anything else when I went for my review! Today my lower number was on 80 but the higher number still 144 so above normal? It's only my second day of self-testing though

Dandelade

Dandelade I never gave that a thought! I had not even had a drink, let alone anything else when I went for my review! Today my lower number was on 80 but the higher number still 144 so above normal? It's only my second day of self-testing though
Well fingers crossed for the ongoing testing

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

I often advise people that having a lot of water before a fasting full blood panel test, will produce better results. Being hydrated is always advised, especially when the weather is hot and humid.
We have an awful lot of rain today, the thunder was rattling the rafters! Really heavy downpours.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today my lower number was on 80 but the higher number still 144 so above normal? It's only my second day of self-testing though

My surgery now issue a 24 hour monitor which inflates every 15 mins. No fun when your out walking or doing something strenuous.
My home readings after sitting for 5 mins are typically 135/90 which is considered high but it's the best I can do atm.
Weird that my BG is more normal than my BP.

Reactions: coby

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My surgery now issue a 24 hour monitor which inflates every 15 mins. No fun when your out walking or doing something strenuous.
My home readings after sitting for 5 mins are typically 135/90 which is considered high but it's the best I can do atm.
Weird that my BG is more normal than my BP.
I'm not sure if there is a real comprehension of BP by anyone, but it's something they always seem keen to rectify? I expect the DN will have me in for a 'talk' on pills for it next!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure if there is a real comprehension of BP by anyone, but it's something they always seem keen to rectify? I expect the DN will have me in for a 'talk' on pills for it next!
The 24 hour blood pressure monitors that @Ronancastled mentioned can be very helpful, why not ask your gp to lend you one if they talk about drugs. I used one when they thought my blood pressure was high and it showed it was actually normal taking into account natural fluctuations during the day. That was when my gp recommended buying a monitor and bringing my own readings for my review. I don't think I had white coat syndrome, more like "no space in the car park, having to park a long way away and rush to my appointment" syndrome.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The 24 hour blood pressure monitors that @Ronancastled mentioned can be very helpful, why not ask your gp to lend you one if they talk about drugs. I used one when they thought my blood pressure was high and it showed it was actually normal taking into account natural fluctuations during the day. That was when my gp recommended buying a monitor and bringing my own readings for my review. I don't think I had white coat syndrome, more like "no space in the car park, having to park a long way away and rush to my appointment" syndrome.

I also had an ambulatory blood pressure monitor and it was very disconcerting when it squeezed every 15 minutes (had to go private for it). It did show that most of the time my BP was actually normal and during the night it went fairly low. So once again, a bit of extra 'insistence' kept them from prescribing BP pills that would have ended up sending me dangerously low.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I forgot to take my BP today! I'm meant to do it at the same time each day so I'm stressed that I didn't remember :(

Sax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No longer being prescribed metformin.
Try to take readings two times a day, morning and evening. And bulkbikers diagram is a good guide for how to do it. I'm embarrassed to say I drifted into the habit of sitting in a yoga pose while doing mine and not giving it enough time to relax first. I thought my blood pressure (on medication) had dropped over time to just below 120/80 as a result... actual readings were getting as low as 96/60 when done properly ... cue some sheepish explanation to my doctor that I'd worked out why I've been having some lightheaded moments standing up recently and maybe time to cut the dosage ...:banghead:

Last edited: