Metformin and cognitive ability

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have moments where my brain just “stops” and I lose my train of thought or the words I am looking for

I put it down to getting older but it got me wondering, does metformin have any side effects on the brain? I’m on 2000mg daily now.

I am taking a multi vitamin to help any B12 issues

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Any statins? I was just describing what Atorvastatin did - at least, I assumed it was Atorvastatin. I was taking Metformin alongside it.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Any statins? I was just describing what Atorvastatin did - at least, I assumed it was Atorvastatin. I was taking Metformin alongside it.
No, only drugs I am now on are metformin, vitamin C and centrum multivitamin

A_Sun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have moments where my brain just “stops” and I lose my train of thought or the words I am looking for

I put it down to getting older but it got me wondering, does metformin have any side effects on the brain? I’m on 2000mg daily now.

Oh yes me too. Do you think it could be the metformin?

Reactions: Fati1

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh yes me too. Do you think it could be the metformin?
I don’t have metformin anymore and still have this so have just put it down to age unfortunately. I couldn’t find any known links to anything

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi @Andydragon,

Have you actually been checked for Vit B/Vit B12 deficiency? For some, metformin can be associated with problems in Vit B12 uptake (from foods and vitamins taken orally) and one of the symptoms can be cognitive issues. It might be worthwhile getting it tested anyway.

Usually, if these types of cases, B12 injections are prescribed.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I doubt it, because so many things can cause transient or continued cognitive difficulties; sometimes just switching dose or drug. And btw, I have changed my mind about stopping metformin as the major adverse effect (lactic acidosis) is very rare, and the benefits as described on this Website today are far greater than the risks. Sometimes, it is the weight put on an adverse effect that makes people anxious about a drug. That's why it's good to read the manufacturer's blurbs.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently found out that back in 2008 ( I was diagnosed T2 in 2011) I was very slightly deficient in B12. I restarted metformin in February and am now B12 deficient. I guess some of us just don't absorb it properly and taking metformin can make this worse.

My brain just stops too. Having Covid19 was the beginning of this, but now with B12 deficiency added it's much worse. It's taken me several minutes to type this post and I am still not sure whether it is coherent or not.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is some years since I stopped the Metformin and Atorvastatin, and I did improve in ability to remember - but not entirely.
After getting the first AZ jab earlier this year my feet and lower legs were very swollen and so - after needing two lots of antibiotics as my feet took it in turn to go red and painful, I fell back on older resources and bought some ginko biloba tablets.
My fathers mother's family were midwives and knew their herbs and natural remedies. I read the books my grandmother had from them - some of the things to promote reluctant births would make your hair stand on end.
Anyway - there seems to be a reduction in the problems with the feet, but I have recently noticed an improvement in my memory - starting with the realisation that things were not what they had been.
As I am not on any prescribed drugs there was no chance of antagonism, and I am not going to have problems with the increase in circulation which could affect a younger woman - but these things need to be taken into account. Of course men might find better blood flow no problem at all.
I have got hold of some guitar strings and will see if I have remembered how to play my guitar soon - I can remember playing it, quite clearly now, but I just could not remember how to do it when I picked up the instrument.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on Metformin for a number of years now (with all the complications you normally hear about until I cut right down on the amount of carbs I was eating). My memory has always been bad, but I do notice that it is getting worse. It could very easily be old age just making a pre-existing weakness, worse, because I am a bit long in the tooth but I panicked a bit yesterday when I had to change my Libre sensor and I couldn't think how to do it. I was staring at the applicator and wondering why there was no needle in it. Eventually realised that I had to put the sensor itself into the applicator and all was well, but how could I have forgotten that?

I have had a problem with remembering what I was supposed to be doing since I was a child (eg running a mile and a half to the dairy to buy a pint of milk for my mother, paying for it and running all the way home without it; then having to run back again to get it - a 6 mile run for a pint of milk!)

But, I don't think it's Metformin.